Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

One Day Shutdown-March 30th

Options
  • 22-03-2009 12:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭

So the date has been set.Will you be following it?

I have a tutorial that day so I have misgivings about this,I need the marks for attendance.

Unfortunately I didn't get a chance to vote,but had I,I would have voted no on the referendum.For that reason,I question the whole order in the SU email that you must follow the boycott based on 'democratic vote'.In a college of over 20,000 it doesn't really seem like a democratic vote when only about 5,000 participated in the first place.

Any thoughts?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,403 ✭✭✭passive

I need to get the weekend off work for Vaticon, so I'll work monday morning/afternoon instead, and do some reading for the classes I'll miss after... Hmm... though this relies on some kind of assurance that there won't be class. Anyone know for certain if history and english lectures will be going ahead or not?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Pride Fighter

Is it the 30th of March? I'll head in, attend my classes and support the events they put on.

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭Tea-a-Maria

Hmm..I've just been told that the 30th is the same day the lecturers are going on strike.If that's right,this frankly seems a bit lazy.It's somewhat akin to the Cork players going on strike in winter when they know they won't be playing matches.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 338 ✭✭33% God

Hmm..I've just been told that the 30th is the same day the lecturers are going on strike.If that's right,this frankly seems a bit lazy.It's somewhat akin to the Cork players going on strike in winter when they know they won't be playing matches.
    You've never heard of a sympathetic strike then?
    Lots of things are striking on that day, that's the entire point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

The lecturers aren't trying to hurt the students in the same way the students aren't trying to hurt the lecturers. By synchronising, they minimise disruptions to each others routine.

• Advertisement

I suppose that's the thing.What are the students trying to achieve through this strike?If it is disruption,then they might want to reschedule.

I certainly wouldn't describe it as a sympathetic strike since I'm fairly certain the lecturers aren't striking against the re-introduction of fees.:rolleyes:

I suppose that's the thing.What are the students trying to achieve through this strike?If it is disruption,then they might want to reschedule.

I certainly wouldn't describe it as a sympathetic strike since I'm fairly certain the lecturers aren't striking against the re-introduction of fees.:rolleyes:
    They are striking over the government's handling of the economic crises, that includes their proposal to introduce fees.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Brimmy

Didn't even know there was a strike.

If classes are on I'll go, if they're not I wont. There's no way I'm missing my lectures with only 5 weeks left of my last term. And that the second half of the core history module only begins on Monday and the entire exam is based on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

I'll be working at home on my project that day anyway. Our classes are over (exams starting on Monday) - so I'll just be a good little code monkey and work from my comfy chair that day. I honestly don't care about the shutdown.

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭lemon_sherbert

I'm supposed to have a midterm that day....:confused: wonder how that'll be arranged now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34 garethj

I have a tutorial that day so I have misgivings about this,I need the marks for attendance.

Unfortunately I didn't get a chance to vote,but had I,I would have voted no on the referendum.For that reason,I question the whole order in the SU email that you must follow the boycott based on 'democratic vote'.In a college of over 20,000 it doesn't really seem like a democratic vote when only about 5,000 participated in the first place.

Any thoughts?

Well the average national turnout for any election is roughly around half the electorate...sometimes less. The fact that you were able and encouraged to vote (you could hardly miss people canvassing and all the posters) means that it was democratic. If you decided not to vote then thats your prerogative and you can hardly complain about it afterwards either.

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭muffinman

garethj wrote: »
    Well the average national turnout for any election is roughly around half the electorate...sometimes less. The fact that you were able and encouraged to vote (you could hardly miss people canvassing and all the posters) means that it was democratic. If you decided not to vote then thats your prerogative and you can hardly complain about it afterwards either.

+1

• Registered Users Posts: 23,568 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

Have four hours of labs that day so I'll be going in

• Closed Accounts Posts: 667 ✭✭✭aequinoctium

a friend of mine is on erasmus in grenoble this year.

his college has been on strike since the first week of february.

both students and lecturers [ the students are anti-govt and the lecturers are anti-college adminintration ] are on strike together

it has come to the point that some students are having classes secretly and some lecturers are patrolling the hallways to make sure that no such classes are happening (as is their right to do so, it being france and all). moreover, those same lecturers have taken the available chairs out of every classroom so that these secret classes cannot go ahead.

it would be a shame if we are heading in this direction where those who want to learn are being forced not to....

i am against the strike and hope that other solutions can be found.
    i'd rather pay to learn than put up with this non-sense.
    for instance, who could forget dan o neill (campaigns officer) as he led a small protest outside the LIBRARY with a MEGAPHONE. i won't put up with that if it happens again!

garethj wrote: »

Touché. I probably should clarify though,the point of this thread was not to complain about not voting,I accept that I have no entitlement to complain about that.

Regardless of whether or not I voted,the SU is still there to represent me as a student and it represents the college on a national level.I guess the main thing that bothers me is the vaguely aggressive way in which the SU are telling us to obey this strike,I just don't feel that it's their place to tell us when we can and can't be educated.

Exactly as aequinoctium said,I don't want UCD heading in the direction of those who want to learn being forced no to.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,265 ✭✭✭Seifer

I am going to completely ignore the SU strike. I heard nothing about it until I got the email telling us we were on strike. Obviously the canvassing and posters didn't reach far beyond the arts block as usual.
    However if the lecturers are on strike there's not much point in going in is there? Can someone provide a link with the details of the lecturer strike?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭Donny5

Any thoughts?

I won't be observing it. The Hammer Hannon would never have put up with this crap.

Seifer wrote: »
    I am going to completely ignore the SU strike. I heard nothing about it until I got the email telling us we were on strike. Obviously the canvassing and posters didn't reach far beyond the arts block as usual.
    However if the lecturers are on strike there's not much point in going in is there? Can someone provide a link with the details of the lecturer strike?
    I take it you walk down the main concourse with your eyes closed then?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭jimi_t

Seifer wrote: »

Think its more SIPTU than a general strike

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭GobBass

I'm supposed to have a midterm that day....:confused: wonder how that'll be arranged now

You doing the Micro midterm in Blackrock as well,lemon_sherbert? Me too.It's amazing how the students are actually disrupting their own education.The SU aren't doing themselves any favours by shutting down the place.In fact, I believe they shouldn't be given the power to do so.

I'll be under pressure that day and if Dan O'Neill is on that megaphone again shouting things that would be described as inaudible anyway or anyone else armed with low quality PA systems,I'll go to my classes (with or without lecturers,I couldn't care,at least they have a financial reason to protest) and barricade myself in the library doing a last-minute overlook until my time comes to get that bus to Carysfort so I have round two with Moore McDowell and prepare for Macro on Thursday.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 649 ✭✭✭fillmore jive

hmm where is this strike going to get us? maybe its just me but i don't really see the point of the strike. fee's seem to be coming in so instead of complaining about it (which will most likely get us no where), why dont the union actually do something to deal with it? not too sure if they have anything on, but something like hold avisory sessions, or try and get some type of financial assistance to those who cannot afford college? that's one of the reasons why i didnt bother with the elections this year: not one of the candidates had the balls to admit that fees are inevitable, so lets try and make sure that the introduction will run smootly.

im probably going to come in on the 30th of march anyway and attend whatever lectures/tutorials i have, cos i already paid €1000 to register and so might as well get my moneys worth.

jimi_t wrote: »
    Think its more SIPTU than a general strike
    It's a day of action. Most of the unions are striking, ASTI etc have all balloted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭Donny5

33% God wrote: »
    It's a day of action. Most of the unions are striking, ASTI etc have all balloted.

Unlike those bodies, Student's Union membership is mandatory.

Donny5 wrote: »
    Unlike those bodies, Student's Union membership is mandatory.
    I don't care. I wasn't making a post in support of the strike, mandatory membership or the union

You should really consider getting a cart for that chip on your shoulder though.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭convert

I can see the reason behind the strike and the SU asking that people don't attend classes, but when marks go for attendance and participation it's pretty hard to expect students, who need every possible percentage available, to forfeit them and go on strike. If the staff strike is on the same day, though, it's pretty handy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,265 ✭✭✭Seifer

33% God wrote: »
    I take it you walk down the main concourse with your eyes closed then?
    I have little reason to be over by the main concourse any day of the week and when I am I don't particularly pay much attention to all the posters plastered on top of each other.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 127 ✭✭mad lad

I'll go to my classes (with or without lecturers,I couldn't care,at least they have a financial reason to protest) and barricade myself in the library

If UCD staff are on strike, the library (like other buildings) will be closed.
    why dont the union actually do something to deal with it? not too sure if they have anything on, but something like hold avisory sessions, or try and get some type of financial assistance to those who cannot afford college?
    O' Keefe stated that he was thinking of reintroducing fees last August. He has failed to announce what system (fees up front, loans, graduate tax etc) he wants introduced.

It's difficult to hold an advisory session when you've no idea what you're advising people on.

On the issue of financial assistance - UCDSU and USI have been campaigning on the Student Support Bill which, if implemented, would create a central grants authority taking control of delivery of the grants away from the local councils in order to ensure that they're delivered on time. The 2008 bill would also implement a number of other changes.
    If the staff strike is on the same day, though, it's pretty handy.
    The staff and student strikes are happening on the same day - Monday, March 30th.

• Registered Users Posts: 597 ✭✭✭Tayto2000

Guess it hinges on whether or not classes will be cancelled on the day or not. Even aside from the UCD end of things, it might be very hard to even get in for some people if the busses are off and there's demos in town.

If classes aren't cancelled, it's more complicated, especially for people who have credited classed to go to - I wouldn't be inclined to skip labs because ~25% of other UCD students think I should.

There's no guarantee that buildings will be closed, it depends on how many of the staff are unionised and whether those who aren't would be willing to cross a picket.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭gubbie

GobBass wrote: »
    You doing the Micro midterm in Blackrock as well,lemon_sherbert? Me too.It's amazing how the students are actually disrupting their own education.The SU aren't doing themselves any favours by shutting down the place.In fact, I believe they shouldn't be given the power to do so.
    I sometimes wonder if people read the previous posts at all on this. As Dajaffa has already mentioned, the SU did not propose this. A normal group of students went around and collected the required amount of signatures to hold a referendum. One was held and passed by 80% by the students. The SU then, as a representative body for the students, compiled with the wishes of this 80% and put the wheels in motion.
    GobBass wrote: »
    (with or without lecturers,I couldn't care,at least they have a financial reason to protest) and barricade myself in the library doing a last-minute overlook until my time comes to get that bus to Carysfort
    Our financial reason: reintroduction of college fee's

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭kmick

No strikes - use your vote in the local elections and then again the the next general election. Striking at the moment is ridiculous. Nobody on strike right now is going to get any sympathy from anyone.

Advertisement