Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Opera mini & Vodafone

• 22-03-2009 12:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 43

Ever since last October I have been unable to use Opera mini on my Nokia 6234 on Vodafone. Everytime I try to use it, it comes up with an error - content blocked by operator. Vodafone technical support are giving me the run around even though they have a link to download Opera mini on Live. Any tips or advice on how to remedy this?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

Opera mini doesn't seem to work properly over live. Lots of stuff doesn't work over live. And series 40 nokias also have problems with access points that use proxys such as live. Try using it over vodafone isp and see if that works. You'll find instructions on how to enter the settings here:

http://powermyphone.com/gprsmms.php

You should be aware though that the 99c per day plan doesn't apply to isp. On pre pay it's 19c per mb and on bill it's 1c per kb with a minimum 10c connection charge. But you can get an add on specifically for isp for 9.99 a month to negate that charge if you use it enough to justify that cost

You'd think customer care could have given you all that info....

• Registered Users Posts: 43 HighMan

Sam Vimes wrote: »
    Opera mini doesn't seem to work properly over live. Lots of stuff doesn't work over live. And series 40 nokias also have problems with access points that use proxys such as live. Try using it over vodafone isp and see if that works. You'll find instructions on how to enter the settings here:

http://powermyphone.com/gprsmms.php

You should be aware though that the 99c per day plan doesn't apply to isp. On pre pay it's 19c per mb and on bill it's 1c per kb with a minimum 10c connection charge. But you can get an add on specifically for isp for 9.99 a month to negate that charge if you use it enough to justify that cost

You'd think customer care could have given you all that info....

Do you happen to know what they changed last October? Because it was working fine up until then. I have the 500mb add on but that is only for their mobile internet - Vodafone Live! I was not aware that they had an add on for their ISP. Thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭ashleey

Leave the phone apn as vodafone live!, as this is part of your 500mb addon. If you use a different apn, such as vodafone misp you will pay as you use. Then go into the opera mini settings and change connection from proxy or ports to http. Don't tell everyone either because I reckon Vodafone might find a way to block this as you are avoiding looking at their junk before you view webpages. This worked for me as a new vodafone customer (as 3 started blocking usage when I was in the UK, but I didn't try this) with a nokia 5800. To be honest though the nokia browser is better than opera on this phone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

ashleey wrote: »
    Leave the phone apn as vodafone live!, as this is part of your 500mb addon. If you use a different apn, such as vodafone misp you will pay as you use. Then go into the opera mini settings and change connection from proxy or ports to http. Don't tell everyone either because I reckon Vodafone might find a way to block this as you are avoiding looking at their junk before you view webpages. This worked for me as a new vodafone customer (as 3 started blocking usage when I was in the UK, but I didn't try this) with a nokia 5800. To be honest though the nokia browser is better than opera on this phone.

That actually might work. Afaik when it's set to socket it uses a different port that might be blocked but when you use HTTP it uses port 80. In theory it shouldn't work because it's still not using the proxy but it might.

You should be aware though that with it set to HTTP everything is sent to opera's server unencrypted

• Registered Users Posts: 43 HighMan

Thank you both for your replies. I was originally using opera mini over a socket connection using vodafone ISP. I got hit with a big bill. I rang vodafone and fair play to them, they credited me my bill €150 as I was incorrectly told that the 500mb add on would cover it. So I switched to the HTTP connection which worked fine although a little slower until last October. It seems to me that they have blocked the port opera uses. Google Maps, Yahoo Go!, and Widgets also have not worked since then. The only app I have that works is GMail. Obviously using a different than the others. I rang vodafone about the €9.99 1GB ISP add on. It is available but I am going to have to wait until nearer the end of my bill cycle. Thank you all again.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 5,586 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nowso

If you download it using isp. Then it may work then if it dont work try the Thawte signed version .And if that dont there is different versions that may work of Opera 4.2

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭rordeb

I am using opera mini on a blackberry storm on prepay using the vodafone ISP - changed nothing else and works fine - same for gmail app and google maps.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 5,586 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nowso

Vodafone live dont work via socket where meteor does

Advertisement