Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

final year arts students?

Options
  • 22-03-2009 12:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭

what do you all plan on doing next year?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Brimmy

Masters, hopefully.

If that falls through going to do the TEFL/CELT and go teaching abroad for a year.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭El Siglo

Go on the dole.

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭emy-87

Do a post-grad in Primary school teaching. Although it is really hard to get into as so many people want to do it. So I might try to do it in the UK. But well have to see!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,416 ✭✭✭griffdaddy

Planning a masters abroad, I can do a Masters in Holland for less than my undergrad registration fee here. In the unlikely event of that falling through, probably play xbox, grow my own and go on the dole for a while:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 365 ✭✭DJDC

I wonder what unemployment rates are for UCD arts grads after graduation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,885 ✭✭✭Stabshauptmann

DJDC wrote: »
    I wonder what unemployment rates are for UCD arts grads after graduation.
    Of the 2007 arts graduates 38% found employment within 1 year, 55% went on to further study / training.

http://www.ucd.ie/careers/studentsandgraduates/whatucdgraduatesdo/

Available statistics are 2 years old, I'd be interested how this years graduates do alright. 2 years ago the job market in Ireland was still very good. Im a 2007 graduate and i felt they were throwing jobs at people.

As an aside, I'd be surprised though if 48% of Commerce students went on to postgrads, my first thought is that the figure for further study / training includes those in accounting or solicitor training contracts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

I imagine more people will go on to a Masters since the alternative for most is the dole :p

I will hopefully be getting a job... Save up enough money to go travelling for as long as possible !

• Registered Users Posts: 45,594 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Brimmy wrote: »
    If that falls through going to do the TEFL/CELT and go teaching abroad for a year.

How do you go on to teaching from Arts exactly? I'm considering that whole area at the moment but I've no idea how you go about it?

Also is it difficult teaching abroad? Can you come back to Ireland and teach here if you've taught abroad?

Yes I know this is twenty questions. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

How do you go on to teaching from Arts exactly? I'm considering that whole area at the moment but I've no idea how you go about it?

Also is it difficult teaching abroad? Can you come back to Ireland and teach here if you've taught abroad?

Yes I know this is twenty questions. :pac:

The teaching and lecturing forum would be your best bet but to be a 2nd level teacher you must do a PGDE (new name for the hdip) and if you want to do it in an NUI you apply through a cao style system at www.pac.ie, the deadline was early December. Trinity do interviews and theyve already been completed.

Scotland i believe give you paid placement and everything while doing the PGDE but i think getting recognition can be messy then for here with Irish and the Teaching Council are a bureaucratic mess to get recognised as a teacher. Check the forum though for better advice

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

MNG

If you want to teach over here you'll probs need to do a HDip

What Brimmy is talking about though is doing a TEFL (Teaching English as a Foreign Language) course, which.... well, as it says on the tin :) It teaches you how to teach English to people whom you do not share a language with!
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Teaching_English_as_a_foreign_language

I'll probably do one of those courses too, as it would be a handy skill to have really :) People often gets jobs in Asia with TEFL, ranging from sh*tty schools in Vietnam or Thailand to one-to-one classes with Japanese businessmen :) (nice bit of bank there!)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Brimmy

****ty school in Nam for me please ;)

Yeah I was going to post the reply but the rest have them covered, the TEFL and CELT are intense courses that only last about a month but they go hand in hand with your BA towards showing you have the necessary skills to teach others.

Wanted to do a HDIP myself originally but with all the problems with that at the moment thought it best to avoid.

Advertisement