Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Airsoft Grenades & Silencers? Do they work?

Options
  • 22-03-2009 1:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭

Right well, prob a common asked questoin but its late and i really cba to look through all the pages :p

Silencers, do these actually suppress the sound? coz i thought its the gearbox that makes the sound nd wouldn't you need a "thicker" body for the sound to be suppresed? and is there any pros or cons of having one?

Airsoft Grenades, well, they work, i know that. but every video of them i watch they have them standing up straght nd when you throw it, its hardly gona land up straight is it...? I'm thinking of getting the http://www.seairsoft.net/product_details.php?id=340&sub=6&subcat=Heavy%20Weapon one, any1 ever had this one? or the plastic one? let me know if there any good.

Cheers,

Rob

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭peter-pantslez

silencers:

iv one i somtimes put on my m4 its only a dboys one, it muffles the sound a tiny bit but as you said the sound is coming from the gear box so i dont think its possible to silence an aeg altogteher:(

grenades:

for starters the ones you linked to are crap. iv found that the only oones that are decent and the AI tornado grenade (once they are maintained properly). the tornado give a 360 degree spray of bb's when they go off the one you linked to dont and if the land wrong the bb's will miss the target altogether.

check out the tornado here:

http://www.airsofteire.com/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=shop.flypage&product_id=260&category_id=55&manufacturer_id=0&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=26

• Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭Rob2593

ok, so does the silencers actually work? and yeah i seen the tornado but if it lands on its side, its only going to go upwards and sideways, rather then do a 360. if you get what i mean. if its on its side its only going to 2 sides and upwards, if its upwards it goes everywhere. its hard to explain :P

• Registered Users Posts: 5,984 ✭✭✭NakedDex

The chances of you ever setting off a Tornado from a perfectly upright position are beyond remote. More than likely it will set off in the air or while rolling after you throw/roll it. The force of the escaping gas and the direction of the vent nozzles means that it will throw itself into a three-axis spiral while deploying it's payload, so it is, in effect, a 360 degree dispersal.

Silencers, for the most part, don't work. They're merely there for looks as silencers for RS are designed to remove the distinct supersonic "crack" of a bullet leaving a muzzle. That's not an issue with airsoft. Most silencers for us, therefore, are just metal tubes with a bit of foam to soak up any echo the tube would cause. Most of an airsoft rifles noise comes from the piston head. This makes quite a loud, high end "snap" noise which is pretty easy to hear.
    Madbull Gemtech silencers have a system of felt pads of staggered sizes in them. The felt pads are made of the same material you would find in a recording studio to absorb sound. The staggered size of the pads also works like a set of sonic baffles, to absorb even more sound. The result isn't a silenced rifle, but a quieter one due to there being less of the high pitched note from the piston and a more bassy "thump".
    Even the best of these Madbull silencers won't give you a silent rifle though, as you'll still have direct sound leaks from the hop adjustment port, motor plate and magwell. So don't expect miracles.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭Rob2593

ok great, thanks, i wont be buying one then :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 869 ✭✭✭flying _squirl

not to commendear the thread but, in theory, if you have modified/customised an aeg using foam, felt etc. to reduce the sound to being bearly noticable, would this cause you to be dissaloud from using it at a site?
    aka; is there any issues with using custom guns once their under the 1J limmit?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,984 ✭✭✭NakedDex

Nope, but you'll never manage it. There isn't enough room around the gearboxes of most aegs for enough foam to make a difference. That said, I'm currently holding a box of high frequency noise isolation material to to just that with a P90. I don't expect much, but I want to see if I can at least dispense with that nasty motor noise from beside my ear as I'm firing.

Rob2593 wrote: »
    and yeah i seen the tornado but if it lands on its side, its only going to go upwards and sideways, rather then do a 360. if you get what i mean. if its on its side its only going to 2 sides and upwards, if its upwards it goes everywhere. its hard to explain :P

not true iv rolled mine in to room a few times in the warehouse and got a 360 spread (or close enough) out of it. even when its on its sides the force of the gas escaping will make it spin.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88 ✭✭robbie brazel

i was at the warehouse last sunday and a fella had did the 360 easily

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 NoxChamerberlin

I've recently gotten into airsoft about a year ago, been playing pistols only due to my lack of funds for decent guns lol. I have had the fortune, however, of picking up a decent started kit that ran about 100 USD, coming with an M4 and a Mark IV Pistol (which sucks btw). Blah blah, I'm looking at this grenade, and compairing it to other nades. now, correct me if I'm wrong, but other nades the shell or the pin and spoon (lever) of the grenades have to be replaced each time you use them right? And is that the same thing with the Airsoft Innovations Tornado grenade (AITG)? Do I have to buy parts for thise nade aside from the green gas and BBs or is it all completely 100% re-useable?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭bluestripe93

you could get a pfi smokecap silencer that makes smoke when the gun is fired

• Advertisement

I'm looking at this grenade, and compairing it to other nades. now, correct me if I'm wrong, but other nades the shell or the pin and spoon (lever) of the grenades have to be replaced each time you use them right? And is that the same thing with the Airsoft Innovations Tornado grenade (AITG)? Do I have to buy parts for thise nade aside from the green gas and BBs or is it all completely 100% re-useable?

nope the tornado only needs gas and about 200 bb's when you are reloading.

oh and a drop of tornado grenade oil every second use (keeps it running lovely;))

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭mle1324

i once has a shot of a MK23 and as you know they come with a silencer and tbh there is a difference in noise when you have the silencer on and off.now taken into account that the MK23 is a non blowback that is probley why i could tell the difference.

mle1324 wrote: »
    i once has a shot of a MK23 and as you know they come with a silencer and tbh there is a difference in noise when you have the silencer on and off.now taken into account that the MK23 is a non blowback that is probley why i could tell the difference.

the mk23 is savage with the silencer:D!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭zero19

Agreed. Tm silencers are decent, the p90 tr version works very well too

• Registered Users Posts: 13,438 ✭✭✭✭thermo

the mad bull silencers are savage....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 NoxChamerberlin

nope the tornado only needs gas and about 200 bb's when you are reloading.

oh and a drop of tornado grenade oil every second use (keeps it running lovely;))

Thanks man. Yeah the Army navy Surplus Store nearby is having a shipment of them come in when customs is shipped in. So I'm hoping to grab one or two :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭Daz1214

i have a madbull gemtech silencer on my G36C but its main function is to cover the longer barrel i fitted..havent noticed much if any sound suppression

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭mafiaboy

where is that army surplus

i have a madbull gemtech silencer on my G36C but its main function is to cover the longer barrel i fitted..havent noticed much if any sound suppression

and you wont when the sound absorbing material cant absorb sound, because the longer barel is not directing the noise into the packing but out the end of the unit! you would of been better off with a barel extension such as the ones on ebaybanned would of been WAAAAY cheaper! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭Daz1214

wasnt that expensive seein as i did the job myself and get a good discount in one of the retail shops

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 440 ✭✭Single Malt

thermo wrote: »
    and you wont when the sound absorbing material cant absorb sound, because the longer barel is not directing the noise into the packing but out the end of the unit! you would of been better off with a barel extension such as the ones on ebaybanned would of been WAAAAY cheaper! :D
    The packing doesn't absorb sound. What it does is absorb the sudden pressure increase of the air/gases behind the projectile. When fired the air/gases are travelling extremely fast, but when the projectile leaves the barrel there is a sudden diffusion of the gases. This causes a massive decrease in velocity and a massive increase in pressure (this is because of a constant volume flow rate). This increase causes a report from the muzzle. In airsoft, any silencer that has some form of porous material will work, as this material will absorb this small shockwave (the madbull gemtech work, but foam filled ones work just as well, due to the low speed of the air in the barrell, and the bb being subsonic).

What it does is absorb the sudden pressure increase of the air/gases behind the projectile.

which contributes to the sound generated by the AEG,,,,,,,, so if its absorbing the air,,,,,, its absorbing some of the NOISE!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 440 ✭✭Single Malt

True, I was being pedantic. I apologise.:o

ah no hassle,,,,,

Advertisement