Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Next for Dunne

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭f1dan

So if Mathebula beats Caballero, he becomes IBF champion and Dunne the sole WBA champion?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,981 ✭✭✭Big Ears

walshb wrote: »
    It's based on a time frame. He can fight who he wants within a frame and then a mandatory is invoked. I think! Big??

He has 7 months before a fight with Poonsawat Kratingdaenggym has to be made(most likely), that is unless the WBA are pissed off with the Thai for not fighting for the vacant WBA interim title when he had the chance(after Cordoba became regular champion).

He'll probably fit in 2 voluntaries before a fight with the Thai, or at least one.
    That's a winnable mandatory for Dunne aswell, although it will be every bit as tough as Saturday.

Should he come through all that(which will be asking quite a bit of Bernard but is not unachieveable), he will have the chance to fight Celestino Caballero within 14 months.

f1dan wrote: »
    So if Mathebula beats Caballero, he becomes IBF champion and Dunne the sole WBA champion?

No, he wins both the IBF and the WBA Super-Champion title.
    Only if he is stripped if the IBF title can he lose the WBA Super-Champion status. Of course he can be stripped of the WBA Super-Champion title aswell for not fighting Dunne when mandated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,710 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Yes, he did beat Caballero, 4 years ago man. Like I said, Dunne impressed me and I was so happy for the guy because he's a gent. I actually felt sorry for him in rd 5, he looked bad and was hurt bad and then he comes on and the end of the 5th was so amazing. What a man.

I do set standards and now I am setting Dunne a standard to go and beat a few good men. I am 100 percent behind him and think this title will grow and really be true when he does the business. He has already beaten the
    best man of his life and I hope he improves.

Make this belt mean something, because it is a version of Cab's belt. That's undeniable. As Sligo mentioned, it's all down to fees and money

I didn't rate Cordoba as world champion material when I saw him pre Dunne and don't rate him world class now. I said it was a fight Bernard could win due to style and the fact that Cordoba wasn't a big hitter. I still thought
    Cordoba woud win. Dunne did it and did it well

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭f1dan

But I thought the idea of the WBA having Caballero as super champion was because he was already WBA champion and then won the IBF too. Mathebula doesn't have any title but could leapfrog the existing WBA champion? I know it's a mess but it's the same mess with Moses and Marquez.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,967 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

I think Monroe has to be next. It makes sense from every angle. He is rated highly, he guarantees a big payday and you'd have to fancy Bernard against him.

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭jayroyal

Right here my plan , first defence agaisnt Olivier Lontchi with the chief undercard been munroe v P Hyland (should he get in rankings for euro title, as the napa route now gone) That would surely build up a big munroe fight, or less likely a hyland one.

Would July or August be a reasonable time for the first defence?

f1dan wrote: »
    But I thought the idea of the WBA having Caballero as super champion was because he was already WBA champion and then won the IBF too. Mathebula doesn't have any title but could leapfrog the existing WBA champion? I know it's a mess but it's the same mess with Moses and Marquez.

Well Caballero's defending both the IBF(mandatory) and WBA Super(voluntary) titles against Mathebula. If Mathebula wins he will take those titles.
    I wouldn't call it leapt frogging Dunne, beating the champion to win a title isn't exactly strange logic.

Then again I suppose the idea of a Super-Champion is though........thank you Lennox Lewis :rolleyes:

No way it's leap frogging. If he beats Cab, he has actually won the real title and beat the real champion.

Should he, then Dunne should try fight him and gain more prestige and recognition

• Advertisement

No way it's leap frogging. If he beats Cab, he has actually won the real title and beat the real champion.

Should he, then Dunne should try fight him and gain more prestige and recognition

Haven't seen Mathebula, but from his record he looks very beatable.
    Of course records can be deceiving but I think should the South African win, then Peters should try and make the fight as soon as possible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,401 ✭✭✭sligobhoy67

jayroyal wrote: »
    Right here my plan , first defence agaisnt Olivier Lontchi with the chief undercard been munroe v P Hyland (should he get in rankings for euro title, as the napa route now gone) That would surely build up a big munroe fight, or less likely a hyland one.

makes perfect logic. But maybe the other way around would suit better.

The only problem Lontchi wont be the mandatory which kind of scuppers it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 177 ✭✭Dub973

It has just been announced it will b most likely vegas were dunne will fight next. No opponent yet but I'd say it's most likely to be Wayne mccollough. Just said I'd let you's know

Dub973 wrote: »
    It has just been announced it will b most likely vegas were dunne will fight next. No opponent yet but I'd say it's most likely to be Wayne mccollough. Just said I'd let you's know

sauce?

I am going to make a pediction that Bernard doesn't travel to fight and stays in Dublin to defend. It makes financial sense. To go to Vegas and defend means having to fight a real quality opponent; too dangerous and unwise.

Dunne deserves a few easy bouts I feel and going to Vegas he cannot
    get away with that.

I bet they talk it up, hype it up and then pull it.

After Witnessing bernards performance on Saturday,I wouldn't be surprised if the vegas fight went ahead. He really proved that he is world class and he is up with the big boys now

After Witnessing bernards performance on Saturday,I wouldn't be surprised if the vegas fight went ahead. He really proved that he is world class and he is up with the big boys now

what is the source of the information for the claim you made in post #114?

I heard the Vegas thing mentioned on the six-one news. Wasn't much, just a snippet

I heard it on six one news aswell. I think it's going to happen as Wayne mcoullough wants to fight him especially now that he is champ. Don't forget,dunne will have no fear of America as he fought nearly half of his career there

• Advertisement

Wayne wasn't mentioned, or at least I didn't hear that bit, but I believe the Vegas story is a bit of a stretch.

To go there, he will be on an undercard, unless he fights the absolute best in a unification type fight.

It dosn't make sense really, the name, the division and the possible opponent will not be finacially sensible.

Dublin is for the near future and I hope Ben makes the most
    of it and makes a few quid

No I tend not to agree. Alot more money would be made in vegas because if the capacity,undercarr or not. And Wayne mcoullough has been interviewed and admitted he wants to fight him. In my opinion,vegas will go ahead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,309 ✭✭✭T-K-O

No I tend not to agree. Alot more money would be made in vegas because if the capacity,undercarr or not. And Wayne mcoullough has been interviewed and admitted he wants to fight him. In my opinion,vegas will go ahead.

Vegas doesn't generate money with its capacity. Dunne would only top the bill against Vazquez and there is no way in hell Peters will go after that fight.

I heard it on six one news aswell. I think it's going to happen as Wayne mcoullough wants to fight him especially now that he is champ. Don't forget,dunne will have no fear of America as he fought nearly half of his career there

:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭rochie16

Brian Peters was on newstalk's off the ball show earlier and he brought up the possibility of Dunne fighting Israel Vasquez in Las Vegas in the summer if Vasquez comes back within the next month or so and gets his wbc title back. They would then top the bill in vegas for a unification fight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭joepenguin

Heres how I see it. Dunne goes to Vegas and defends his title. McCullough appears on the same bill against an opponent that if he beats will land him in the wba top 15. The stage is now set for Dunne vs McCullough for the super bantamweight championship of the world in the o2 later in the year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭strongback

rochie16 wrote: »
    Brian Peters was on newstalk's off the ball show earlier and he brought up the possibility of Dunne fighting Israel Vasquez in Las Vegas in the summer if Vasquez comes back within the next month or so and gets his wbc title back. They would then top the bill in vegas for a unification fight.

An opportunity to make a big fight with Vasquez might be a good idea. If Dunne could demonstrate he could bring in the necessary PPV numbers it might be the big pay day that sets Dunne up for life.

Dunne would have to make a mandatory defence in the next few fights and he could end up fighting Poonsawat (The Tank) Kratingdaenggym the WBA No.1 challenger. That would be a risky fight with no great reward.

PS
    Was watching Lopez videos today, he looks really good, 24 wins 22 by KO the majority of the KO's in the early rounds. Very impressive in defeating Ponce de Leon in one round to gain WBO world title. Have seen a bit of criticism of him on the net about him taking easy fights but he still looks very dangerous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 212 ✭✭Jackeenboy

Congrats to Barnard Dunne !! Another great night for British boxing ! Terrific fight, well deserved.. Hoping for an all British clash now between Barnard and Leicesters Rendall Munroe.

T-K-O wrote: »
    Vegas doesn't generate money with its capacity. Dunne would only top the bill against Vazquez and there is no way in hell Peters will go after that fight.

You don't understand,if dunne fought mcoullough in vegas it would probably be a box office fight if there was a big main event! Dunne would make alot more in vegas than the 02.

Should Dunne and camp try to sell a Wayne fight in Vegas and the yanks
    are up for it, then boxing has reached new depraved levels.
    Dunne should steer well clear of Wayne, no matter what cash
    it MAY bring. I can't see this happening and I will be
    extremely disappointed should it!

Who the **** wants to see that punch drunk in the ring?

You don't understand,if dunne fought mcoullough in vegas it would probably be a box office fight if there was a big main event! Dunne would make alot more in vegas than the 02.

Please do not tell me what I understand - now allow me to explain to you.
    Your last post is contradicting, are you saying Dunne V Wayne would be box office or are you say they could fight on an under card to a main event because there is a huge difference.

1. The yanks all respect and like Wayne but he aint box office, the last time he was, I was still in short trousers. Americans are very fussy when it comes to fights and parting with their cash - because they can be! No way in hell would Ben V Wayne be box office anywhere...

2. Dunne is still relatively unknown over there, sure boxing fans will know him but that is a minority 5%. Golden Boy, Top Rank these guys are not going to give Dunne a wheel barrow full of cash to fight in Vegas. If anything they will play him down and try to get him on the cheap... I.E a world title fight as an under card to a main event - he would be crazy to do that.

Team Lopez wouldn't fight a guy because he wanted 250k so the team refused - so that is the kind of money Dunne is looking at and he could earn that and more in the O2. Dunne has the trump cards now.

• Advertisement

rochie16 wrote: »

Someone should tell Brian Peters you can't unify with Dunne's version of the World title unless Caballero gets stripped(which he won't because he's defending his mandatories). Dunne will have to beat Caballero first if he wants to unfiy.

Of course that doesn't mean Dunne couldn't fight Vasquez, but Vasquez does have to beat Nishioka to win back his WBC title(not that I care if he bothers to do that or not, it's only a sanctioning belt).

Fighting Vasquez would earn so much respect from me for both Peters and Dunne. Dunne's established himself as a worthy contender and it'd be great if they could get a chance to fight the World champion even if it seems a huge task.

Vasquez hasn't fought in a long time, has had a lot of wars recently, is aging and has that eye injury against him. Now might be the time for someone else to try and take him.
    Jackeenboy wrote: »
    Congrats to Barnard Dunne !! Another great night for British boxing ! Terrific fight, well deserved.. Hoping for an all British clash now between Barnard and Leicesters Rendall Munroe.

Where in Britain is Dunne from :confused:

BTW, Dunne isn't going to make anymore money in vegas than he would defending against a weak opponent in the O2

jackeen boy is a wind up merchant, pay no attention!

Vasquez is simply too dangerous. It's not possible and would
    be bad for Dunne's health.

Peter's aint gonna' surrender his cash cow that easily. He'd be
    mad to fight a dangerous opponent at all this year.

Try make two voluntaries and then he will go for the bigger fish!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 152 ✭✭Johnduddy

Should Dunne and camp try to sell a Wayne fight in Vegas and the yanks
    are up for it, then boxing has reached new depraved levels.
    Dunne should steer well clear of Wayne, no matter what cash
    it MAY bring. I can't see this happening and I will be
    extremely disappointed should it!

Who the **** wants to see that punch drunk in the ring?

So true...

Somebody needs to talk some sense into McCullogh, obviously he's had the sense knocked out of him over the course of his career - its ridiculous.

I think Bernard Dunne has the cop on not to even acknowledge this type of sh*t. When he was on Setanta announcing the cordoba fight McCullogh said he wanted to fight him and Dunne basically ignored the question and laughed it off.

http://www.skysports.com/opinion/story/0,25212,12533_5094320,00.html

Wayne is legend I really like the guy but Dunne is not going to have any of that..

It's a ridiculous prospect; but it is also damn
    scary should Dunne go for it.

What if he lost? He may as well never ever have
    boxed. Losing to Wayne would be absolute comical.

I think Wayne needs to be forcibly retired, but if the powers that
    be sanction this and it goes ahead, then Dunne not only
    has to win, he has to absolute dominate. Should he struggle, then
    he will be mocked severely

It's a ridiculous prospect; but it is also damn
    scary should Dunne go for it.

What if he lost? He may as well never ever have
    boxed. Losing to Wayne would be absolute comical.

I think Wayne needs to be forcibly retired, but if the powers that
    be sanction this and it goes ahead, then Dunne not only
    has to win, he has to absolute dominate. Should he struggle, then
    he will be mocked severely

By that comment Wayne must have been absolutley shocking in his last bout ??

Is it on youtube - that post has made curious as to how shot Wayne is.

Last bout?

Wayne has been shocking for a number of years now!

http://www.independent.ie/sport/other-sports/boxing-las-vegas-spotlight-now-shines-on-dunne-1683756.html

"In any case, Dunne will hold all the cards when it comes to negotiating the purse for his next fight. He received a six-figure sum for his victory at the weekend but was forced to take a pay cut in order to lure the defending champion to Dublin."

I don't know what to take from this quote. I heard 76k was the figure, now this and a pay cut?

The last fight I saw involving Wayne was Larios and he was far from shocking against the #1 guy in the division.

Well then, the fight is sanctioned.:eek:

As far as I am concerned, Wayne is shocking and has been shocking for a number of years.
    His bout with Larios was 4 bloody years ago. How bad has he got since then.
    Older and more 'retarded'

His last bout was a joke.

Larios wasn't my number 1 and was brutalised
    a few months after his win over Wayne.

• Advertisement

Well then, the fight is sanctioned.:eek:

As far as I am concerned, Wayne is shocking and has been shocking for a number of years.
    His bout with Larios was 4 bloody years ago. How bad has he got since then.

His last bout was a joke.

Larios wasn't my number 1 and was brutalised
    a few months after his win over Wayne.

People get banned from here for lest than that. As for him not being your #1 - its the same argument I had with Ears.

I haven't seen his last fight therefor I cannot comment - But he wasn't shocking against Larios and had one fight after that so your statement is erroneous.

He was battered against Larios, absolutely battered, just like Harrisson a few years before

http://www.eastsideboxing.com/news.php?p=16201&more=1

The guy had to quit despite being in the fight and winning according
    to two judges. What more proof does one need to realise that
    Wayne is a wreck of a fighter. One need not look to his last two or three bouts
    to realise that Wayne is a wreck.

BTW, you need not worry about me being banned, just worry about
    yourself!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/boxing/4684043.stm

He won one freaking rd and I saw the bout. It was a pasting, so if shocking
    is too strong a word, then way past his peak I hope suffices!

And, 4 years ago!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,696 ✭✭✭mark renton

Good GOD - Let it go Wayne - Dignity should follow a successful career

I have a sneaky suspicion that some still think Wayne has it to offer!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 152 ✭✭Johnduddy

The only thing Wayne McCullogh has left to offer by returning to the ring is long term damage to himself or another disaster in the ring.

He owes it to himself and his family to pack it in.

He should not be awarded a licence to box FULL STOP.

He was battered against Larios, absolutely battered, just like Harrisson a few years before

http://www.eastsideboxing.com/news.php?p=16201&more=1

The guy had to quit despite being in the fight and winning according
    to two judges. What more proof does one need to realise that
    Wayne is a wreck of a fighter. One need not look to his last two or three bouts
    to realise that Wayne is a wreck.

BTW, you need not worry about me being banned, just worry about
    yourself!

I read that link about 2 years ago but thanks anyway. And if you're comfortable branding a national hero a retard that's your problem - and trust me I wont be losing any sleep worrying.

Well, if you read that link, why is it still not sinking in?

As for the term retard, I never called him that.
    So, you can sleep soundly!

Well, if you read that link, why is it still not sinking in?

As for the term retard, I never called him that.

Because there are conflicting stories as to why the fight ended that is why I wanted a video link to see the fight for myself

Nicely edited but the meaning is clear.

• Advertisement

A mate of mine saw the bout and said it was nip and tuck.
    Wayne complained of an 'old' injury and the fight
    was stopped; I say it was years of battles that
    caught up.

But, who cares. That bout doesn't need to be viewed to
    know that Wayne is a mess.

Nor, the Larios thrashing!

Advertisement