Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Next for Dunne

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,778 ✭✭✭✭walshb

john47832 wrote: »
    I still think Monroe is a step backwards - Beat him and Bernard is still in the same place as he is now, no matter what Frank Moloney says.

The only argument for a fight here is that Munroe is ranked highly.

Financially - surely Bernard would get 150k or not too far off for his next fight anyway??

IMO - He should fight one of the big boys, carefully picked of course. If that Lopez dude keeps hitting people like that then he's gonna seriously hurt someone one of these days!!
    Well, if he meets a non ranked fighter and wins, that too would be
    a 'step back.' The big bouts are too risky and dangerous. So, he may
    as well face less than the best and make money, and if Munroe
    is a 'step back,' (voluntary) what's the difference between him and another
    voluntary?

Bernard is in the driving seat, but it's tricky.

He goes for broke against the top men and he may
    be dominated.

Why risk that when you can fight two or three easier
    men and make a lot of dough

John, how can you carefully pick one
    of the big boys?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,696 ✭✭✭mark renton

It is tricky - the more the dust settles the trickier it seems. I'm looking at it from a perspective that if he does get beat then there is some sort of glory in defeat, and continuing at top level is possible - and I dont see that in the Munroe option.

Say Bernard takes it and loses - the European title would be vacant (correct me if im wrong) - would he even be first in line for a shot at that?

Would he even bother with it?

If he takes a big name and gets beaten then he would possibly be still in the window for a different world title.

I don't see it that way. Remember, he got the shot whilst not ranked, and many see the title as the watered down version. I am one. Now, he steps up and loses, and loses bad; because if he meets the big boys, it could be a real beating; what then?

He is seen as the guy who won a watered down version of a title who was
    ruthlessly exposed. Nobody will remember the Cordoba win and he's back
    to square one. Make the most of this 'title' now, financially I am speaking.

What's the point in losing to the first BIG boy you meet when you can
    maybe defend twice and make more money?

He is in a tricky position and I think he needs to thread
    carefully. Leave the punchers alone, they are too dangerous and
    the shaky moments he had last Saturday could get a lot shakier
    against heavier hitters.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,841 ✭✭✭Running Bing

I think if Dunne fights Cabellero/Vasquez/Ponce/Pakawat and loses Munroe is still there.

If he fights Munroe and loses he's back to square one.

Must say I would've heavily favoured Munroe to beat Dunne prior to last Saturdays fight but Dunne really looked a different fighter and Id have to reckon he would beat Munroe if he performs like that....still think it would be a tough fight and potential banana skin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,985 ✭✭✭Big Ears

What Dunne would gain from the Munroe fight:
    1.I'd guess at least £150,000 whether it would be in Ireland or England and that would significantly be the highest purse of Dunne's career if Brian Peters is to be believed.

2.Have proven himself without doubt the best Super-Bantamweight in Europe.

3.Have fought a very good opponent. Rendall Munroe is ranked #9 by the Ring who aren't the be all and end all but that's the ranking most people will look at and it'll be seen by most boxing fans that Dunne is facing the 9th best Super-Bantamweight in the World.
    Munroe would probably be Dunne's second best ever opponent, at worst 3rd best. Considering Dunne was on the verge of losing to his best opponent in his last fight there would b no shame in taken a small step back.

I've always fancied Dunne to beat Munroe, before last Saturday I would have seen him winning a 116-112 type of decision, now I'd see him winning even more emphatically. I don't underestimate Munroe either, I picked him to win both the first and second fights he had against Martinez and realise he's a massive Super-Bantamweight who is very physically strong and would be able to push back almost any 122 lber if allowed.
    He's a good European champion and does most things well but nothing brilliantly and he's not a puncher.

It's a must happen fight for me, would be a real shame if he didn't happen.
    Dunne would gain a lot of respect in Britain for the win and a decent amount stateside(where they love Ring magazine and would see the #7 beating the #9 as a significant win). Not to mention beating the man who twice beat his own conqueror would shup up some of the doubters and critics at home.

It's a fight that makes sense, and it also makes money........which makes boxing sense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭joepenguin

Its all about taking a calculated gamble. If Dunne takes a defence other than Munroe then if he loses he can always go back to the European scene although he wouldnt get offered as much to fight Munroe.

If he fights Munroe then the ebu becomes vacant. So in the event of losing where would Dunne stand in the rankings?

I say fight someone other than Munroe first as it will be big bucks anyway, then Munroe, then his mandatory all going well.

joepenguin wrote: »
    Its all about taking a calculated gamble. If Dunne takes a defence other than Munroe then if he loses he can always go back to the European scene although he wouldnt get offered as much to fight Munroe.

If he fights Munroe then the ebu becomes vacant. So in the event of losing where would Dunne stand in the rankings?

I say fight someone other than Munroe first as it will be big bucks anyway, then Munroe, then his mandatory all going well.

Having obtained a World title and recently being European champion(with 2 successful defenses) Dunne would be one of the two fighters nominated to fight for the European title if he lost to Munroe. The other would be Simeone Maludrottu.

The Munroe fight is a fight Bernard can win.

The real key is stamina in this fight. We know Munroe has it and Dunne
    showed a huge improvement last week. I hope he maintains this.

He needs to keep that level up. Munroe is strong and isn't all that
    heavy handed; but he can hurt Dunne. Can
    Dunne hurt him?

Dunne will go the route on this one to win and needs
    to be well conditioned, maybe even more than last week.

Don't get complacent now. Keep up the hard hard conditioning
    training. This will help him so much and is
    linked to recuperation and shot absorption.

This could be a super fight and a I bet
    a very close fight with many nervy and edgy moments!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,438 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

Bernard could win the Munroe fight. It would be an extremely close fight and prob could go either way but Munroe is very beatable. IMO this would be the sensible fight because he has the opportunity to make a successful defence of his title.
    A few people were saying they would like him to fight Vasquez but IMO Dunne wouldnt stand a chance. Just take a look at this video and make up your own mind..... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6Di2j1z9xw

• Advertisement

walshb wrote: »
    The Munroe fight is a fight Bernard can win.

The real key is stamina in this fight. We know Munroe has it and Dunne
    showed a huge improvement last week. I hope he maintains this.

He needs to keep that level up. Munroe is strong and isn't all that
    heavy handed; but he can hurt Dunne. Can
    Dunne hurt him?

Dunne will go the route on this one to win and needs
    to be well conditioned, maybe even more than last week.

Don't get complacent now. Keep up the hard hard conditioning
    training. This will help him so much and is
    linked to recuperation and shot absorption.

This could be a super fight and a I bet
    a very close fight with many nervy and edgy moments!

Munroe won't be able to hurt Dunne that easily, he'd have to land quite an accumulation of blows to really get to Bernard. Dunne's the heavier handed fighter in there(and I would of said that before last week aswell), but Munroe has the better chin. Matirosyan did stiffen Munroe's legs in their fight and he's not much of a puncher and considering the type of guys Munroe's been fighting he's always been able to see where the punches are coming from.
    Dunne would catch him with shots he wouldn't see coming and for my money his punches would therefore have more effect than Kiko's did even though Martinez is a bigger puncher than Dunne.

I think Munroe would struggle no end with Dunne's movement, every fight he's had since he won the belt has been against fighters who will keep coming to Munroe until they are spent and ready to be finished off.

Munroe's no mug, he's a decent fighter and a win isn't a guarantee, but I'd favour Dunne very strongly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

Big Ears wrote: »
    Munroe won't be able to hurt Dunne that easily, he'd have to land quite an accumulation of blows to really get to Bernard. Dunne's the heavier handed fighter in there(and I would of said that before last week aswell), but Munroe has the better chin. Matirosyan did stiffen Munroe's legs in their fight and he's not much of a puncher and considering the type of guys Munroe's been fighting he's always been able to see where the punches are coming from.
    Dunne would catch him with shots he wouldn't see coming and for my money his punches would therefore have more effect than Kiko's did even though Martinez is a bigger puncher than Dunne.

I think Munroe would struggle no end with Dunne's movement, every fight he's had since he won the belt has been against fighters who will keep coming to Munroe until they are spent and ready to be finished off.

Munroe's no mug, he's a decent fighter and a win isn't a guarantee, but I'd favour Dunne very strongly.

Sums it up for me..

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭ShaunD

Just watched Steve Molitor V Michael Hunter and I have to say I was not that impressed by what I saw. Molitor looked good but not fantastic. His punching did not look that powerful, Hunter was down twice in the Pickering fight so his chin can't be the best.
    The only other Molitor fight I have seen is his loss to Caballero and some early amateur footage of him.
    There is no doubting he has skills but on what I have seen, I would pick Dunne to beat him.
    Am I missing something? What has Molitors best performance been?
    What would the chances of a Dunne V Molitor match up with the winner taking on Caballero?
    This would have a good symmetry to it : Molitor lost to Caballero, who lost to Cordoba, who Dunne beat. If Dunne beats Molitor he faces Caballero, who he would have to face anyway. If Molitor beats Dunne, he gets a rematch with Caballero.

Molitor poses a similar risk to Dunne as Munroe would.
    Both are beatable. Steve is a polished fighter and text book, a little tentative and not the strongest. Crips, but not a heavy puncher.

He looked so out of his league against Cab, and looked quite good vs. Hunter, who isn't great anyway.

I would see Molitor as a harder version of Pickering.

Close fight with Dunne

Molitor is set to face Ruiz in June so he wouldnt be for a little while down the line. That fight is an ibf title eliminator so the winner would be pushing for cabellero.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

Jackeenboy wrote: »
    Congrats to Barnard Dunne !! Another great night for British boxing ! Terrific fight, well deserved.. Hoping for an all British clash now between Barnard and Leicesters Rendall Munroe.

There is something seriously wrong with this post.. I mean, come on.. get it right. It's not as if it's rocket science.

..His name is not Barnard! :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 585 ✭✭✭Rob113

Hi Folks
    1st post so apologies if im covering old ground. I agree with those suggesting that Dunne fight Munroe and possibly one more european before heading stateside to tackle the big names.
    Prior to the kiko fight few would argue that Bernard was the best European fighter at his weight. Reigning champ with a couple of solid defences under his belt. The kiko fight proved something a lot of us had been fearing for a while - that he had a suspect chin and that his body needed a lot more conditioning and strength work.
    Its something he admitted himself and in fairness looked a hell of a lot better in the last fight. If he can dodge a mandatory for a while and get a couple of voluntaries in against quality European opposition and in the meantime continue to work on his strength, stamina etc then i think we could have high hopes of him making a real name for himself stateside. I think he has the skills but maybe not the power and defensive capabilities at the moment to take on some of the bigger names in the division.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,357 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

I think bernard is right to call out vasquez. Why not go for the biggest name there is?
    Vasquez is only coming back from injury and might be ring rusty. Considering that dunne has sparred with him in the past he must have some idea of his capabilities. Timing is everything so if Dunne is to stand a chance then its now or never. I say go for it, and even if he gets beat, well he's beaten by the best and it could even up his standing if he put in a good performance.

Losing to vasquez might get him shots at the others. It'd be nice to see bernard getting a couple of paydays. I dont think anyone can ever knock the mans heart or courage again after last week so if he says he wants vasquez then bring him on.

Daroxtar wrote: »
    I think bernard is right to call out vasquez. Why not go for the biggest name there is?
    Vasquez is only coming back from injury and might be ring rusty. Considering that dunne has sparred with him in the past he must have some idea of his capabilities. Timing is everything so if Dunne is to stand a chance then its now or never. I say go for it, and even if he gets beat, well he's beaten by the best and it could even up his standing if he put in a good performance.

Losing to vasquez might get him shots at the others. It'd be nice to see bernard getting a couple of paydays. I dont think anyone can ever knock the mans heart or courage again after last week so if he says he wants vasquez then bring him on.

id prefer to see him take a couple of decent paydays against slightly easier opponents first. some of the other posts on here reckoned there is €160k on offer to fight Munroe, who he should beat. If he takes his and then a similar purse to fight someone of similar stature it would make him €300k+ plus hed be a champ with 2 defences under his belt which would make him more marketable stateside and he would be able to command even bigger purses to fight some of the bigger names out there. My fear would be he goes out there now and take on one of the bigger names / heavy hitters and gets destroyed within a couple of rounds - he then becomes a forgotten man, someone who got lucky by winning the title in the first place. He should revel in the fact that he is the champ for a while and make the couple of defences and continue to work on the conditioning and strength work which i believe carried him through the Cordoba 5th round assault. I dont think hed have survived that a year ago.

Rob113 wrote: »
    He should revel in the fact that he is the champ for a while and make the couple of defences and continue to work on the conditioning and strength work which i believe carried him through the Cordoba 5th round assault. I dont think hed have survived that a year ago.

God bless Kiko Martinez - I was cursing the little man after the loss and wanted to send him the bill for my ticket to the fight. But now "Grazie Kiko"

If Dunne cant do it then it cant be Done!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,357 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

Rob113 wrote: »
    id prefer to see him take a couple of decent paydays against slightly easier opponents first. some of the other posts on here reckoned there is €160k on offer to fight Munroe, who he should beat. If he takes his and then a similar purse to fight someone of similar stature it would make him €300k+ plus hed be a champ with 2 defences under his belt which would make him more marketable stateside and he would be able to command even bigger purses to fight some of the bigger names out there. My fear would be he goes out there now and take on one of the bigger names / heavy hitters and gets destroyed within a couple of rounds - he then becomes a forgotten man, someone who got lucky by winning the title in the first place. He should revel in the fact that he is the champ for a while and make the couple of defences and continue to work on the conditioning and strength work which i believe carried him through the Cordoba 5th round assault. I dont think hed have survived that a year ago.

I wouldn't begrudge bernard a few easy defenses but ,for example, if he got stopped by a cut it would possibly destroy his chances of ever getting a crack at the big boys. He can spend the next few months working on his strength without fighting.

If he fights Vasquez and looses he can still come back and fight munroe or kiko or whoever. Better still, he looses but its a great fight and there's a rematch. Best outcome is that before next christmas we're here congratulating him on his shock win. By getting exposure stateside it could open doors for fights against any of the other champs in the division. I'd rather paid half a million to get beaten by the best than get 160k for a potential banana skin.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 177 ✭✭Dub973

Molitor poses a similar risk to Dunne as Munroe would.
    Both are beatable. Steve is a polished fighter and text book, a little tentative and not the strongest. Crips, but not a heavy puncher.

He looked so out of his league against Cab, and looked quite good vs. Hunter, who isn't great anyway.

I would see Molitor as a harder version of Pickering.

Close fight with Dunne

You seem to think your an expert in every sport. You obviously have no boxing experience as it is quite clear than munroe poses a greater risk for dunne!

Daroxtar wrote: »
    I wouldn't begrudge bernard a few easy defenses but ,for example, if he got stopped by a cut it would possibly destroy his chances of ever getting a crack at the big boys. He can spend the next few months working on his strength without fighting.

If he fights Vasquez and looses he can still come back and fight munroe or kiko or whoever. Better still, he looses but its a great fight and there's a rematch. Best outcome is that before next christmas we're here congratulating him on his shock win. By getting exposure stateside it could open doors for fights against any of the other champs in the division. I'd rather paid half a million to get beaten by the best than get 160k for a potential banana skin.

would he get half a mil though. Cordoba only took the fight against Bernard cause he reckoned hed beat him easy and he is rumoured to have only been paid €100 - €150k to come to Dublin for the fight against Bernard (Im open to correction on this). If he got beat convincingly by one of the big guys at this stage it could be the end of his earning power. Munroe wouldnt even give him a shot at the european title a few months back. Also if he came back after being defeated and no longer champ how much could he realistically expect to earn fighting the likes of Munroe and Kiko.
    If he is to be the champ we all want him to be then i think he should clear up any lingering doubts we all have by beating Munroe - i think this avenges the Martinez defeat as Munroe has beaten him twice in the last year. This makes Bernard undoubtedly the number one european. One more defence before he tackles the big guys sets him up comfortably financially, gives him more confidence as champ and hopefully by that stage he has bulked up a bit and the body is more prepared to handle the bombs the big names have to throw at him.

Dub973 wrote: »
    You seem to think your an expert in every sport. You obviously have no boxing experience as it is quite clear than munroe poses a greater risk for dunne!

Would you mind deciphering that post please, I can't make head nor
    tails of it.

Every sport?

What's that about?

You obviously have no boxing experience as it is quite clear than munroe poses a greater risk for dunne!

Munroe poses a greater risk for Dunne? As opposed to who?

What easy voluntaries are out there? Cordoba was coming over here for an easy voluntary. Each fight at this stage is a gamble and he is going to work hard for his victories. I say if he gets Vasquez then take it, but... he loses his title win, lose or draw which is a pity and gets none in return. I know titles are only titles but they have bargaining power.

He has a slight bit more than no boxing experience, you can be assured of that.

Cordoba got €200,000 to come to Ireland and although I can't say for 100% that it is, but I'd bet my life it's the highest purse he's ever earned.
    To the Panamanians it looked an easy defence, for big money, a chance to finally get a win in Europe and beating a former European champion doesn't look too bad on the record. To them the fight made huge sense, and I suppose it did till Dunne turned up in the form of his life and like a new man.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,309 ✭✭✭T-K-O

Big Ears wrote: »
    He has a slight bit more than no boxing experience, you can be assured of that.

Cordoba got €200,000 to come to Ireland and although I can't say for 100% that it is, but I'd bet my life it's the highest purse he's ever earned.
    To the Panamanians it looked an easy defence, for big money, a chance to finally get a win in Europe and beating a former European champion doesn't look too bad on the record. To them the fight made huge sense, and I suppose it did till Dunne turned up in the form of his life and like a new man.

You'd think he start showing it :p

Says the man who thinks Wayne is still a threat!:D

Says the man who thinks Wayne is still a threat!:D

Don't consider him a threat - the risk reward doesn't add up for me.

T-K-O wrote: »
    Don't consider him a threat - the risk reward doesn't add up for me.

I suppose, 0% risk with 0 rewards......

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12 Tiger Fan

Just heard a ridiculous item on Newstalk - Bryan Peters was on about talks he's having about setting up a Dunne vs Paul O'Connell fight ! Can you believe it, what a load of waffle. O'Connell is twice the weight of Dunne, Peters sounds like a guy that's after a bit of the Don King limelight and the. Does he not realise that Paul would probably put Bernard Dunne in a hospital bed, and then where are we with getting on with defending the world championship???:mad:

Tiger Fan wrote: »
    Just heard a ridiculous item on Newstalk - Bryan Peters was on about talks he's having about setting up a Dunne vs Paul O'Connell fight ! Can you believe it, what a load of waffle. O'Connell is twice the weight of Dunne, Peters sounds like a guy that's after a bit of the Don King limelight and the. Does he not realise that Paul would probably put Bernard Dunne in a hospital bed, and then where are we with getting on with defending the world championship???:mad:

I don't know what is worse, the idea or the fact that you believe this could be a real fight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,406 ✭✭✭Phonehead

Tiger Fan wrote: »

It's April 1st... of course this is not true

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 Tiger Fan

d'oh... :D

have to admit i fell for the whole Dunne v O'connell thing myself. ive been quietly fuming about it all morning. Christ im some gob****e!!

I reckon Bernard would ave taken him :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭ah,sure

Dunne would beat him anyway... Fair play for falling for it though!

The actual poll doesn't see it that way and I as a fan of the sport happen to think that Paul would beat Bernard, nout to do with skill, he's just too big.
    There comes a point when skill is beaten by sheer size and power and Paul possesses both.
    Definitely size anyway!

Boxers are not supermen and they would beat many men in boxing, if sizes were similar, but Paul is so so much bigger, that I happen to think this is a mismatch!

BTW, lets keep the discussion in the AH forum where
    it was craeted!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,401 ✭✭✭sligobhoy67

I see that Olivier Lontchi won the NABA super bantamweight title on the weekend with a KO win. Could this possibly be significant n terms of who is lined up for BD?

• Advertisement

By the looks of things he already had the title but yeah Id say that gets him major wba brownie points.

another title that would get wba brownies is the
    "interim wba ordinary super bantamweight world title"

http://www.boxrec.com/title_search.php?title=WBA&division=Super+Bantamweight&SUBMIT=Go&pageID=1

So the wba will have 3 world champs in the one weight category come the end of the month. suppose we should be thankfull there isnt a champ in recess at the same time!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,053 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

http://www.boxrec.com/title_search.php?title=WBA&division=Super+Bantamweight&SUBMIT=Go&pageID=1

So the wba will have 3 world champs in the one weight category come the end of the month. suppose we should be thankfull there isnt a champ in recess at the same time!!!
    That has to be somebody acting the clown. I'm not believing that.

Odd that Poonsawat had refused the chance to fight for the WBA interim title(against any ranked contender of his choosing) in the past. Perhaps they were adamant about pushing through a straight mandatory fight with Cordoba.
    I talk about this as if Poonsawat has some input, of course he doesn't Thai fighters have less input in their careers than almost any other fighters. They see their manager and promoters as employers and them merely as employees. It's a whole different World over there.

I haven't seen Hernandez fight but his record isn't that impressive. However his record suggets he's a banger, not just the 10 ko wins from 11 but stopping Walter Estrada in 2 and a few other wins there looks like he may be somewhat dangerous for the Thai. He also has campaigned as a Featherweight for all his career while Kratingdaenggym has operated as a Bantamweight until recently.

Probably a good thing if Kratingdaenggym wins, because I'm guessing this Hernandez isn't going to win a decision in Thailand(unless he's something special) and if he can knock out Kratingdaenggym then he's probably more dangerous to Dunne that Poonsawat is.

Not the first time the WBA have had 3 champions at a weight, they've done it before at Cruiserweight.

• Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭alanceltic

Its amazing looking at that list that there have been 15 stoppages out of the last 20 fights at this weight!!!! very interesting stat. Also why does boxrec have Dunnes last fight as a TKO and not as a KO???

WBA WTF.

I think we can now say that Dunne, Caballero or poonsawat will fight in some combination.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 152 ✭✭Johnduddy

alanceltic wrote: »
    Its amazing looking at that list that there have been 15 stoppages out of the last 20 fights at this weight!!!! very interesting stat. Also why does boxrec have Dunnes last fight as a TKO and not as a KO???

Cos the ref called the fight after the 3rd knockdown Cordoba wasnt counted out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

Johnduddy wrote: »
    Cos the ref called the fight after the 3rd knockdown Cordoba wasnt counted out

He had no need to count as 3 knockdowns is a ko. count would be pointless.

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,401 ✭✭✭sligobhoy67

cowzerp wrote: »
    He had no need to count as 3 knockdowns is a ko. count would be pointless.

AFAIK the ref needs to get to the count of ten before it is recognised as a KO.

The TKO/KO ruling is a strange one and here's my view.

If the fighter doesn't receive a count (when knocked down) because he is obviously
    distressed and the ref decides immediate attention is needed, this SHOULD
    be a KO. This was the case in the Cordoa incident. If the fight is stopped when
    the fighter beats the count or stopped due to a continuous
    assault, then this is a TKO.

A KO is when a fighter: 1, doesn't beat the count or 2, doesn't receive
    a count when knocked down (due to danger).

Hey, Herol Graham never received a count, was he KO;d?

Actually, he did. But there are other instances where a fighter was clean
    KOd and the ref didn't count, but called medical assistance!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 152 ✭✭Johnduddy

The TKO/KO ruling is a strange one and here's my view.

If the fighter doesn't receive a count (when knocked down) because he is obviously
    distressed and the ref decides immediate attention is needed, this SHOULD
    be a KO. This was the case in the Cordoa incident. If the fight is stopped when
    the fighter beats the count or stopped due to a continuous
    assault, then this is a TKO.

A KO is when a fighter: 1, doesn't beat the count or 2, doesn't receive
    a count when knocked down (due to danger).

Hey, Herol Graham never received a count, was he KO;d?

Actually, he did. But there are other instances where a fighter was clean
    KOd and the ref didn't count, but called medical assistance!

I stand corrected re the count, I always thought that in the case of Cordoba that the ref intervened before he started to count - thats why I thought it was a TKO

Can you clear this up for me then :

Is the 3rd knockdown deemed a KO regardless of the condition of the fighter ? What if the fighter is in a position to continue even after being floored 3 times in a round ? AND is this a KO or TKO....?

• Advertisement
Advertisement