Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Calor Gas left boiler in dangerous condition

Options
  • 22-03-2009 2:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭

We have a bulk storage tank with Calor Gas. In November we got 500 litres but there were a few problems so CG sent an engineer round to fix the supply.
    Getting to the point, the engineer shoved something into the pilot thingy to make it bigger and did other damage that resulted in unburnt gas building up inside the boiler. I only discovered this when I realised that I went through €400 of gas in 4 weeks! :eek: (VERY high usage for me)

The boiler was serviced about 2 weeks before this and the damage was confirmed by the same engineer who said that the boiler could have blown up, considering that its located in my kitchen I was appalled.

Now I am out €200 in repairs and God knows in wasted gas. I reported this to CG and to say their response is slick is putting it mildly. Someone came round to look at it and tried to argue that my engineer repaired the damage incorrectly. The slick customer services guy argues that the damage was minor and that there is no evidence of unburnt gas, (my engineer showed me the massive black burn all up the rear of the boiler). They offered me a crappy credit note but this is only one part of my concern, which I will deal with.

Now I get to my actual point (bear with me) CG appear to be very accepting of their own engineers actions. I have repeatedly pointed out my concerns that they have an employee who is clearly leaving boilers in a dangerous condition. Their response ranges from 'its nothing', 'these things happen' and 'everyone is human'. Unfortunately for them, when it comes to gas boilers I disagree.

I am not happy that CG will not ensure that this wont happen again and I am wondering if there is an independant body I can report this to.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭BoB_BoT

I'd do a number of things in this case, consider going to a solicitor, your county council and failing all this, a newspaper. I'm not sure if there's a regulator that covers this, but there more than likely is. They're endangering peoples lives by allowing shoody work to take place, especially when it was one of their staff that carried out the repairs and not a contractor.

Don't let it go, you could actually be saving somebodies life.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,793 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

I would write to the chief executive of the company, saying that there was an incident at your premises, that your boiler was left in a faulty and dangerous condition in the view of your own engineer, and that Calor Gas has not satisfactorily investigated the incident. You should specifically say if there was a danger to human life, for example, if the boiler is near a house or a place where children play.

I don't think he would ignore that letter. If he did, and something blows up somewhere at some stage in the future in similar circumstances, he'd be in very dangerous circumstances.

If that doesn't get any reaction, I think it's the health and safety authority you would contact next. Just write a letter.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭axel rose

Thanks for the replies. Yea I know I have a few letters to write and to be honest Im not going to take much pleasure in it but I a feel kind of responsiblity to. Its amazing that there does not appear to be an independant body to take care of this!

Advertisement