Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Do you still use and develop Film ?

• 22-03-2009 2:34am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭

Having spent today tidying out my darkroom (it has laid untouced since the late 80's and was seriously full of cobwebs), it made me wonder how many people on boards still use film, develop the negatives and print the pictures on paper ?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 762 ✭✭✭Buzz Lightyear

Well I just got back into the darkroom over the last few weeks - after a number of years, and it felt great. I was made even more fun in that I was introducing the darkroom to a fellow boardsie :D.

I love the smell of the chemicals and the way the print comes to life in the developing tray. You do forget that developing film can be tedious, however it brings back the principles of the darkroom that you apply in the digital darkroom, however instead of the mouse you use pieces of paper cut to shape. Great fun.

Like yourself Rory, I went up to the attic to get back a couple of things I put up there when I tidied up the darkroom many moons ago. I was flabergasted when I realised just how many moons. I found developer and fix last used in 1995 :eek:.

I also found some paper of the same vintage and deceided to develop it, after all how bad could it really be ? It was perfect. Absolutly amazing. After 14 years up in the attic it developed like a dream. The paper was Ilford grade 3 and gave beautiful contrasts.

I've also purchased F100 to help me back into film. It's nice to be able to use the non DX lenses and just carry one set of gear.

Long live film.;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

I'm still using film, going through quite a bit every week.

I find the darkroom an enjoyable process, for when I want to get away from everything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,966 ✭✭✭GhostInTheRuins

I haven't used film in a long time but one thing I'd love to do is develop my own pictures in a darkroom. I've only ever been in a darkroom a handful of times and the last was when I was about 10 years of age. I've never done it and it just feels like I'm really missing out on something.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭Anouilh

I have started using my Pentax MZ 50 again, though overall the costs are prohibitive as I do not process my own film.

The trip to Tasmania invited a larger format than my Canon EOS Digital Rebel and I'm very glad I made the effort to bring it with me, despite weight issues at airports and, thanks to a forgetful moment, using a roll of film that had gone through 5 x-ray machines during the journey there.

<A HREF="http://www.flickr.com/photos/anouilh/3370557679/">Cradle Mountain, Tasmania</A>

http://www.flickr.com/photos/anouilh/3370557679/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 799 ✭✭✭Schlemm

I don't have a digital camera, so I use film all the time, the only cameras I own are 35mm, 120mm and polaroid. I borrow digital cameras now and again but I still love the quality of film...plus the anticipation of getting it developed! I would love to have my own darkroom someday, not least cos getting film developed all the time is costing me a fourtne!! ;)

• Advertisement

The best thing about developing is not needing a darkroom for it. A dark bag (Patterson do'em) will do for getting the film onto the spool and into the canister. From there, you can do it all with the lights on. It's only printing you're going to need a room you can seal up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭Phototoxin

I use it but dont develop or print it meself. However when/if I got a film scanner I would be more inclined

• Closed Accounts Posts: 385 ✭✭Shamanic

i only use film too, but my friend develops most of it for me, i can see the advantages of digital, but for me it ruins the ''magic'' of photography.

I have yet to put up any of my pics on here coz im in the process of getting them on cd, hence this being my first post! but iv been lurking for quite a while :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,113 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

I still shoot film, mostly slide. I have a decent film scanner so I can digitise what I need to.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,586 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

Only film. Haven't been able to develop my own for a little while as I've been relocating and kinda fallen between two stools.
    Even for snapping I'd use an old Olympus Trip pointer...and even that simple camera I'd prefer the results of than digital.

I think Ireland's unique in the high proportion of amatuer snappers that use digital. Just from what I see abroad and my friends; film is if anything on a resurgence.

Waiting on a colour roll of 36 to come back is one of the little joys in life. I dream of how the shots will come out, replay the day, think of what I'll do differently, how I should have done it...and all this after the event and before the results. The world moves quick enough without everything having to be instant. Time enough for thought and reflection.

I have a neopan 400 that I haven't sent in yet. I don't think there's anything much on it so was gonna experiment with a blackbag, then one of those scanner thingies. I've neither though and funds aren't great and the chap gonna show me is after getting locked up in England for drink driving. Maybe I should take the hint from the gods and throw it in the bin...but I know I've got Gerry Adams and Michael D Higgins together and maybe a sneaky one or two of Sam Shepard at the end of the roll (hopefully as I'd to give him the other rolls) on it hmmm.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,445 ✭✭✭bovril

Due to peer pressure on here, I bought a holga last year and a canonet this year. Just got an order of film from 7dayshop. I have yet to buy the equipment for developing it myself but I plan on getting that before the summer and giving it a try. Film seems to be very popular these days for some reason!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,590 ✭✭✭Pigwidgeon

i've never really used film at all, just went straight into digital, it's something i want to try though, especially seeing as i recently found my dad's old minolta and 2 lenses. i also want to get a holga or something similar to play about with.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

When I was younger I did have a polaroid camera.. no idea where that went to. But oh, was it fun.

Thanks to Al, I do want to use a bit of film, but I'm far too used to digital :(

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

I've also purchased F100 to help me back into film. It's nice to be able to use the non DX lenses and just carry one set of gear.

Long live film.;)

DX and normal lens are interchangeable with film and digi

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,657 ✭✭✭trishw78

RoryW wrote: »
    Having spent today tidying out my darkroom (it has laid untouced since the late 80's and was seriously full of cobwebs), it made me wonder how many people on boards still use film, develop the negatives and print the pictures on paper ?

Finally you were talking about that at FOI... congrats on the clean-up.

Yeah I still develop my own Film I don't print the pictures as I don't have the facillties But I do scan them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 762 ✭✭✭Buzz Lightyear

DX and normal lens are interchangeable with film and digi
    While DX lens's physically fit my FX film body they leave a luvly vignetting around the edges of the frame, so are not always usable/suitable ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 609 ✭✭✭duffarama

I still shoot film but haven't developed any of my own yet, although I did learn how to recently using a dark bag for the negatives and then printing to paper.

I've 2 film SLR's and a film rangefinder and only one DSLR!!

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Panhour

I still use film for black and white and slide for colour. I develop the black and whites myself and scan in the negs. My bathroom cabinet has a lovely developer smell!!
    I send away the slides and get them scanned. I tend to use a minolta SLR for travel...no plugs, cables etc, everything replaceable and light to carry!
    Use my digital for stuff that needs a quick turnaround or when I'm too impatient to wait......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 582 ✭✭✭thefizz

I shoot film only and do all the developing and printing in my darkroom. Can't see myself ever getting into digital imaging. I know the results are similar but the process is so different. I do own a compact digi cam but just use that for quick snaps of little importance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭noby

I'm new to all this, but just recently bought an Olympus OM-10, and a few bits to go with it. While I still take snaps with a digital camera, I'm really loving the Olympus.
    I'd like to look into developing my own film; is there somewhere that will sell me a developing 'kit', with all I need to get going, or would I be better off trying to get to a camera shop to talk to someone? If so where would ye recommend? (I'm not in Dublin that often, but might be in the next few weeks).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 582 ✭✭✭thefizz

You can get all the gear and help you need to get started in Gunns on Wexford Street in Dublin. They are very helpful.

If you're in Waterford (Fungarvan = Dungarvan?) Hennebry's will/should have all the chems. Expect to pay OTT prices though.

Cheers for that. I've seen Gunns mentioned a lot alright, so I'll probably try and get there the next time I'm up.

Fajitas, indeed you are correct.Where abouts is Hennebrys?
    Is there anywhere in Cork, as I'll be ther in the next week?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,319 ✭✭✭sineadw

I <3 film

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 609 ✭✭✭duffarama

noby wrote: »
    I'm new to all this, but just recently bought an Olympus OM-10, and a few bits to go with it. While I still take snaps with a digital camera, I'm really loving the Olympus.

Great little camera :)

I've 2 OM's and a nice selection of lenses too

duffarama wrote: »
    Great little camera :)

I've 2 OM's and a nice selection of lenses too

While I'm pretty much a complete novice I really love using it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,146 ✭✭✭Morrisseeee

I feel I should reply to this thread, as.......I've just been handed a Nikon EM camera (looks old) and a Tokina lens (35-105mm F3.5-4.5) from a friend who hasn't used it in years. I also found out recently that my aunt in law has her own 'dark-room' in her attic, and that she has some old film cameras/lenses (which she hasn't used in a very long time), so I'm definitely going to pay her a visit soon !
    So......I might give this film thingy a go, but I just don't know if I have the time/patience/money/skill to feed this sidetrack !

edit: I left out an important word, skill !!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭DaireQuinlan

I shoot film exclusively. I scan and print digitally though. I've dabbled in B&W printing but I don't have the space or time to really take it seriously. Some day ...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭Anouilh

[IMG][/img]http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3217/2862923572_b5bba50ddd.jpgg2862923572_b5bba50ddd.jpg

I continue to find that film has much more sense of texture than digital.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 424 ✭✭Simplicius

Film will never be replaced, It will just cease to be 'better'. I use the word better as we are all from an age where we have seen film, seen its tonality and texture, we are attached to it, like we are other things from our youth.

It will become the remit of the artisan.

I just cannot see (in my life time) sensors on digital cameras replacing the minute molecular reactions that occur during exposure and development. There is something real about film that will never be superceeded.

What will happen is the digital age children will grow up and to them the 'texture' and 'tonality' of film will seem false, somehow not quite true. Exactly how digital seems today, to me a child of the film age.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,586 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

Film is about capuring the light feflected from a moment into a box. Digital is about recording an image.

I spent today doing 8 second exposures in very low light and willing the few lazy fecking photons that were available in with every ounce. Film gets you to whoosh light!!! I'm not confident in the shoot though. But to have had a day whooshing light around a room like a shepherd to couple of dopey sheep...well that can't be beaten.
    I could feel Bohr and Schrodinger on my shoulder...poking fun. But there all the same.

Advertisement