Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aunty Poppy

• 22-03-2009 2:39am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,442 ✭✭✭

Anyone remember Aunty Poppy's Story Time? I think Aunty Poppy used to be in The Little Rascals/Our Gang when she was a little girl. She used to read stories on Poparama I think. Maybe on TV as well.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭bullets

Aunty Poppy,

Glossy Magazine with a Tape,

I had some ghost story issue when it came to my
    birthday, but dont remember the magazine doing well at all.

There was another magazine out around the time of Aunty Poppy that was in competition with it but dont remember the name.

The Magazine could not compare to the Lady Bird books that came with Audio Tape! had Dracula and the Mummy
    both with book and 15min Audio Tape.

Also there was the Planet of the Ape's Comic's that came with a Vinyl record at the time.

~B

• Closed Accounts Posts: 740 ✭✭✭steveone

yes I remember it well on radio 2., was it ruth mccabe

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,557 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

I can even remember the theme tune. Creepy.

Wasn't she American/Canadian?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,442 ✭✭✭Firetrap

It would've been Ruth Buchanan who was one of the presenters on Poparama I think. Did Simon Young present as well?

From Wikipedia
    Jean Darling (born August 23, 1922) is a former American child actress who was a regular in the Our Gang short subjects series from 1927 to 1929.

In 1926 at the age of four, Dorothy Jean LeVake got her big break when she passed her screen test and was accepted for a part in the Hal Roach Our Gang series. By that stage her name had been changed to Jean Darling. Darling appeared in 35 Our Gang films during this period. She is also the last surviving cast member of the silent era version.

Darling continued to appear in films after leaving the gang, including an appearance in Laurel & Hardy's 1934 adaptation of Babes in Toyland and as the young Jane in Jane Eyre (1934).

and

Darling married Reuben Bowen (whose stage name was Kajer the Magician). They had one son, Roy.

Since 1974 Darling has been living in Dublin, Ireland, where she has written mystery stories and has had over 50 short stories published in the Alfred Hitchcock's Mystery Magazine and Whispers.

As "Aunty Poppy", she reads stories, which she wrote herself, on RTÉ radio and TV. She has also written plays for radio and has worked as a journalist.

tape.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 740 ✭✭✭steveone

yes ruth bucannan.. !! very good..

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 6,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭silvervixen84

I have a signed Aunty Poppy book from Perks in Youghal from when I was ickle and got to meet Aunty Poppy, Perky Bear and Santy Clause all at once, good times!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭darkdubh

I meant to post this earlier but I forgot.Auntie Poppy aka Jean Darling passed away last month aged 93,RIP.

http://www.rte.ie/ten/news/2015/0907/726278-jean-darling-aunty-poppy-dies-aged-91/

Advertisement