Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Am i entitled to keep my old parts after a laptop repair?

Options
  • 22-03-2009 3:50am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭

Hi.
    I brought my laptop in for repair there (3rd time around because they still haven't fixed the problem after paying 300 already).
    They said they'd replace another part this time (the processor) at no extra cost (i've paid 300 already) and assured me that that should fix things for once and for all.

I asked them before they went ahead with this if i can have my old processor back and they said yeah no problem.
    So i said fine go ahead and fix it.

Now the repair is done, they are telling me that i can't have the old processor back.
    There reasoning is:
    The old processor that they took out is basically functioning and they don't want to give me two functioning processors back (ie the new one that they put in my laptop and my old one that they took out).

They say the reason for putting in a new processor was "so the repair was done to my full satisfaction". Not necessarily because the old part was faulty per se. WTF?
    So now they won't give me back my old processor.
    Unless i pay for the new processor they put in (having said beforehand this wouldn't cost me anything extra).

I just wanted to keep the old processor so i have all my old parts if this 3rd repair doesn't work.
    That's not unreasonable, is it?
    Do i have a right to keep what's mine (functioning or not)?

I'd appreciate any help.
    Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 184 ✭✭burgess1

If they're replacing something you bought from them, no.

Otherwise, they can't keep something that belongs to you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭tech77

burgess1 wrote: »
    If they're replacing something you bought from them, no.

Otherwise, they can't keep something that belongs to you.

Thanks.
    They said they would replace the processor at no extra cost (because i've shelled out 300 to them already for 2 components that haven't fixed the problem despite them telling me they would fix things).
    So no, technically i'm not paying out more for the new processor from them.

The old processor is mine- it was part of my laptop. I'm interested in keeping that part after they replace it with their new one.

(all this is apart from asking why they're replacing the old one in the first place, of course).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭majiktripp

Can you give us the whole story to put it in context, what happened the first 2 times. Its very rare that a processor is the cause of problems in a laptop or desktop for that matter. It can happen , just once in a blue moon though...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

pay for the processor - then contact a solicitor ....if the "faulty" processor is functioning .... i think you would have a case there .... but I'm no professional...talk to a solicitor

• Registered Users Posts: 3,834 ✭✭✭Welease

As has been said, can you explain what the problem is... A processor does not generally go faulty, and if it does the machine is dead.. it wont be faulty and still working... Sounds like they are trying to pull a fast one..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

there are lots of people out there that think they can fix pc's because they were able to add a bit of ram to their own laptop or swop out a damaged part and they will gladly take your money and fob you off when they are unable to fix your pc. stick with reputable and well established pc repair firms and there should be less liklihood of running into problems and also they are easier to take to the small claims court and actually get paid if you win.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,077 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

I'd say that these people would make certain that the old CPU is screwed before they ever handed it back, even if it wasn't to start with.

OK here's the whole story:

A few weeks ago i brought my laptop in to them because it was shutting down randomly.

I paid them 100 euro for a cleaning and a new heatsink.
    Didn't fix the problem.

Brought it back.
    They assured me a new motherboard would fix the problem so i paid them another 200, saying i wouldn't be paying anymore no matter what else was wrong with it.
    Replaced the motherboard.

Still not working.
    Brought it back.

They say they'll have once last attempt to fix it by replacing the processor, telling me that that could well be the problem.

I reluctantly agree, making sure
    1) it's at no extra cost and
    2) that i can get my old processor back. They say that's fine.

The new processor has now been put in (they put some new ram in as well afaik).

I haven't actually picked it up yet- i just rang them to find if i could indeed collect my old processor with it.
    They say no they can't give me the old processor and give me some nonsense about the old processor that they took out not technically being faulty, so they can't give it back to me.

So why replace it then?
    So "everything is done to my complete satisfaction" was the excuse i got.
    So now apart from everything else, i'm thinking was there any need for this replacement...

At this stage i'm tired arguing with people who make little sense tbh.

What should i do.
    Am i entitled to the old one back?

Should the new one fix the random shutdown problem?
    If it did, i could probably live without getting the old part back.

Any help would be great.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭x in the city

Well for one they dont seem to have a clue what they are doing

the processor is yours as it was in originally.

go into them and tell them, its not your fault they are incompetent gobheens

• Registered Users Posts: 2,734 ✭✭✭Newaglish

I would say that if you paid for the new processor, the old one is also yours.

If they replace it for free with an equal processor, they should really be able to keep the faulty one.

Think of it this way: You buy a jumper in a shop, come home and find it has a big hole in it. When you bring it back to the shop, they'll replace the jumper but not without taking the original back. You can't leave this situation with two jumpers!

• Advertisement

Where I work, we give back any parts we take out of a machine. In most cases we're just asked to dispose of them but we want to give you the option, they're yours after all. The exception is for components bought from us that are under warranty, we retain the original part to be returned to the supplier.

However it's extremely rare that a processor would fail (except maybe with an overheating issue). I have seen it before but I could count the number of occasions on one hand.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭ronkmonster

if you want the processor back and you trust their explaination of its functioning just tell them to put it back in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭ttm

I'd want to see the old motherboard they replaced. Just to make sure they did replace it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

tech77 wrote: »
    I reluctantly agree, making sure
    1) it's at no extra cost and
    2) that i can get my old processor back. They say that's fine.
    So they give you a new processor at no extra cost but you want the other processor too? So basically you want a free processor? Why would they give you a free processor?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭majiktripp

Aside from the CPU swapout problem, they haven't really fixed the main complaint yet by the sounds of it and I believe myself that replacing the CPU probably wont fix it either. Motherboard, CPU and heatsink doesn't leave much else bar RAM and Hard drive that could be causing the issues you were experiencing. I would allow them to switch out the cpu and keep the old one, and if the problem reoccur's take them to town (or threaten with small claims court) as they really do not seem to know what they're going on about

• Registered Users Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭BoB_BoT

what's the laptops model number? 200 for a new laptop mainboard sounds cheap especially if it includes labour.

Newaglish wrote: »
    I would say that if you paid for the new processor, the old one is also yours.

If they replace it for free with an equal processor, they should really be able to keep the faulty one.

Think of it this way: You buy a jumper in a shop, come home and find it has a big hole in it. When you bring it back to the shop, they'll replace the jumper but not without taking the original back. You can't leave this situation with two jumpers!

Is this situation directly analogous though?

I didn't buy my old processor (the torn jumper) from them.
    I own it already.

They are agreeing to putting in a new processor (the new jumper) for no extra cost simply because they've taken 300 from me already after 2 attempted repairs which they said would fix the problem.

In other words, there should have been no need for a new processor (or new jumper) in the first place, going by what they assured me with the original 2 repairs.
    That wasn't part of the deal in the first place.
    I stated before the original repairs i was not prepared to spend more than 300, and they assured me a fix would not cost more than that.
    That was the basis for the contract.

So isn't it up to them to sort this out for no extra cost as they said they would do above.

If it fixes it fair enough but why should i have to pay more than what we originally agreed the first time round, just to get the old part back as well?
    I would've thought i should be able to keep old the parts irrespective of what else happens
    (because it's the torn jumper that i didn't buy from them).

Why would you get two processors? I believe they are argreeing to replace the old processor not give you an extra processor.

axer wrote: »
    Why would you get two processors? I believe they are argreeing to replace the old processor not give you an extra processor.

1) Because it's mine.
    2) If this repair doesn't work i want to be able to restore my laptop to the way it was.. put back the old mobo, processor everything and get it fixed elsewhere.
    That's not unreasonable IMHO.

3) They agreed before the last repair that they would not charge me any more than 300 quid altogether.
    So they are putting in the processor for no extra cost.
    TBH, i'm not responsible for them getting their own costing wrong.
    They said a fix wouldn't cost me any more than 300 (which i've given them).
    I expect them to stick to their word, no more, no less.
    Hence the new processor shouldn't cost me any extra.

But that doesn't mean i can't get back what's mine (the old processor), does it?

1) Because it's mine.
    Its not if they are replacing it without charging you for that part.
    2) If this repair doesn't work i want to be able to restore my laptop to the way it was.. put back the old mobo, processor everything and get it fixed elsewhere.
    That's not unreasonable IMHO.
    It is a different situation if you are not accepting the work they are doing and are demanding the laptop be put back to the orginal condition.
    3) They agreed before the last repair that they would not charge me any more than 300 quid altogether.
    They are not charging you more thus they are replacing parts instead of giving you an extra part free.
    So they are putting in the processor for no extra cost.
    They are replacing the processor at no extra charge.
    TBH, i'm not responsible for them getting their own costing wrong.
    They said a fix wouldn't cost me any more than 300 (which i've given them).
    I expect them to stick to their word, no more, no less.
    Hence the new processor shouldn't cost me any extra.
    It is not costing you any extra. You will still have the same number of processors you had before except your processor will be brand new.
    But that doesn't mean i can't get back what's mine, does it?
    It depends on what you call yours.

In this situation you will have to bring them to the small claims court since obviously they are sticking with their decision. Let a judge decide then. I think it is your only option here.

• Advertisement

Welease wrote: »
    As has been said, can you explain what the problem is... A processor does not generally go faulty, and if it does the machine is dead.. it wont be faulty and still working... Sounds like they are trying to pull a fast one..

The problem i was having was that the laptop was persistently shutting down randomly (may have been due to heating but i'm not too sure- it shut down when it was cool also).
    Sometimes it would hibernate while working on it.
    Sometimes it would suddenly and completely shut down.
    Made working on it impossible.
    But otherwise it worked.

It's a HP Pavilion dv1000 series.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭BoB_BoT

Axer, the OP already said it was part of the agreement that they would also give back the old processor. He's not exchanging it, they're simply putting in a new one (even if it is at no cost).

It honestly sounds like the shop are guessing at problems, try the ram, try the mainboard, try the processor. The OP has paid 300 so far for "repairs" that haven't worked and I'd even question if it's a new processor they're putting into his machine.

Again it seems the repair shop are trying to cover their arse by throwing in as many "solutions" as they can under the guise of it being "free". The fact that they decided to keep the processor after they found out it was "working" contradicts what they originally told the OP. Why didn't they test it in the first place to see if it was not "technically faulty" ?

In short the processor is his, that was part of the agreement, them replacing the processor is part of their repair solution, which he had paid for. It's pretty straight forward, first they said yes, then after they did it, changed their mind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 467 ✭✭aoibhebree

Well I mean, if you get your brake pads or something replaced on your car, you don't get the old ones back, so why would this be any different?

if you want the processor back and you trust their explaination of its functioning just tell them to put it back in.

Yeah, i could (and logically should)do that but they'll me they can't do anything else to fix it.
    Maybe though, magically this new processor will actually fix the problem.
    I dunno if i should cut my losses just yet.
    Dunno what kinda refund i'd get from them either if it was left unfixed in this way...

BoB_BoT wrote: »
    Axer, the OP already said it was part of the agreement that they would also give back the old processor. He's not exchanging it, they're simply putting in a new one (even if it is at no cost).

It honestly sounds like the shop are guessing at problems, try the ram, try the mainboard, try the processor. The OP has paid 300 so far for "repairs" that haven't worked and I'd even question if it's a new processor they're putting into his machine.

Again it seems the repair shop are trying to cover their arse by throwing in as many "solutions" as they can under the guise of it being "free". The fact that they decided to keep the processor after they found out it was "working" contradicts what they originally told the OP. Why didn't they test it in the first place to see if it was not "technically faulty" ?

In short the processor is his, that was part of the agreement, them replacing the processor is part of their repair solution, which he had paid for. It's pretty straight forward, first they said yes, then after they did it, changed their mind.
    My understanding is that they assumed the processor was faulty and replaced it. Now they realise that it is not faulty and that the replacement was a waste. Now instead of replacing the new processor with the old processor again they are deciding that they will leave the new processor in place and hold on to the old processor i.e. they are making things the same as before they worked on the problem except the OP has a brand new processor instead of an older processor.

Im sure they could take out the new processor and put back the old processor but what would be the point in that? since the processor that is in there now is newer, the the OP is coming out better (when it comes to that part in particular).

Basically I believe their intent/agreement was to give the faulty processor back to the OP (it turned out it wasnt faulty).

With regards the entire laptop and the problem - that is a different story and they should make sure the laptop is fixed.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

An IT shop that charge you for solutions that are not working? Madness. Honestly seems, based on your story, they have no idea what the problem is and are guessing. Replacing parts in the hope it will address the issue. I think thats something to be more worried about then if your old (maybe working, maybe not) parts are not being returned (which they should - you are entitled to them, even if its worthless).

No point spending more money with them, they clearly cant fix the problem.

ttm wrote: »
    I'd want to see the old motherboard they replaced. Just to make sure they did replace it.

They gave me the old motherboard after the motherboard replacement (at least i'm presuming it's my old one).
    Any way of knowing for sure?

So they give you a new processor at no extra cost but you want the other processor too? So basically you want a free processor? Why would they give you a free processor?

Because i take them at their word:
    They said before the second repair that whatever happens it won't cost me any more than the 300 i already gave them.
    Surely they can't now go charging me extra for the new processor after saying they wouldn't, can they?

Surely they can't now go charging me extra for the new processor after saying they wouldn't, can they?
    My understanding is that they are not charging you for the new processor from what you have said so far thus you are not any worse off when it comes to that part but as others have said it is a bit bad that they are not able to fix this problem.

• Advertisement

My understanding is that they are not charging you for the new processor from what you have said so far thus you are not any worse off when it comes to that part but as others have said it is a bit bad that they are not able to fix this problem.

Well tbh, of course i am more interested in a proper fix than getting old parts back.

But in light of the fact they haven't fixed it twice, it's understandable that i just want to have all my old part back (to start from scratch again if i have to).
    That's why i'm anxious about getting them back.

On the other hand, should i really even have to justify keeping what's mine (if i want to keep it).

Advertisement