Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Am i entitled to keep my old parts after a laptop repair?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭BoB_BoT

I understand what people are saying about not getting a replacement back i.e. break pads, but the main issue here was that they agreed that they would return the old processor, and are now going back on their agreement. What are they going to do with the old processor? Obviously keep it to sell to another customer, possibly as a "upgrade" for their laptop.
    If the issue isn't fixed, I'd be requesting my laptop be restored to it's original state and to be refunded. If they refuse, off to small claims court with ya.

I've never once charged a customer for a repair that didn't work and I never would. If I've an agreement with a customer, I follow through on it. If they want their old parts back, I give them back. Giving the customer something for "free" is a big sign that you've ****ed up somewhere, especially something like a processor.

As mentioned, I'd question the quality of the work, they obviously haven't found the problem if they've replaced the mainboard, cpu and heatsink. It could be something shorting, power issues, a faulty switch/connection etc....

Take the laptop to someone with a good reputation, I've heard another story from a customer this week who brought his laptop to a known repair shop, was charged a lot to have the pc wiped (went in for a wireless adapter), ended up getting a tiny ram upgrade, the pc wiped and reinstalled (only to sp2) and not even activated... Went back to them with a small issue, said they'd have to wipe the pc again and charge full whack. It took two minutes to resolve the issue. Way too many chancers and rip off merchants out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭ronkmonster

they won't give you an extra working processor.

it's possible that your processor had some rare fault and new one will work fine.

or could be os issue.

get them to replace ram, hd and then finally an os reinstall.

you shouldn't be expected to pay 300 and still have broken laptop

• Registered Users Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭ronkmonster

it's possible that your processor had some rare fault and new one will work fine.

or could be os issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭BoB_BoT

or could be os issue.

these are some of the first things you test before even considering replacing the mainboard, assuming they already tried these, it's some other issue. If the processor has some "rare" fault, it's defective, and therefore they should have no problem giving back a broken part, it's obvious they're keeping it for resale or for stock parts, if not, there would be no issue here.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,750 ✭✭✭sxt

Hey tech77,sorry to hear about your problems.

You said that you told them that you were not prepared to pay more than 300 ,and conveniently they have charged you 300!! They obvious don't know what they are doing with a laptop, but they do know how to fleece you for all they can get.

Have you kept a written copy of everything ?.You have no reason to thrust the baloney that they are telling you considering all that has gone before,get them to put it in writing.They will probablly start asking you for more money as some stage,don't give it to them.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭ttm

How would you know if they gave you your old CPU back? Did you mark it?

How do you know they changed the CPU? Did you take the serial number?

How do you know they changed your motherboard? How long did the job take? It often takes me over week to source a replacement laptop motherboard.

Whats the spec of your laptop. I've upgraded a few old ones lately with CPU's off eBay (celerons to Pentium M) that cost 10 euro so its possible this argument isn't over much to the extent that the argument may be over something that doesn't exist.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭tech77

sxt wrote: »
    Hey tech77,sorry to hear about your problems.

You said that you told them that you were not prepared to pay more than 300 ,and conveniently they have charged you 300!! They obvious don't know what they are doing with a laptop, but they do know how to fleece you for all they can get.

Have you kept a written copy of everything ?.You have no reason to thrust the baloney that they are telling you considering all that has gone before,get them to put it in writing.They will probablly start asking you for more money as some stage,don't give it to them.

No it was actually after they charged the 300 that i said i wouldn't pay any more than 300 altogether.

I got receipts for what they've done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

tech77 wrote: »
    No it was actually after they charged the 300 that i said i wouldn't pay any more than 300 altogether.

I got receipts for what they've done.

Would have been less hassle to buy a new laptop.

Advertisement