Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Turning off the "internet" on your phone.

• 22-03-2009 5:30am
    Site Banned Posts: 5,676 ✭✭✭

Hi all,
    I own the Nokia 2600c and in the top right, as with many Nokias on o2, there is o2 displayed, and clicking on the top right button gets you onto 02's lamentably bad internet service.

The problem is I keep hitting the button by accident and I get charged for accessing the pile of crap.

I topped up by 20 euro a few short days ago and it's down to 14 eispite me getting free texts and not making one call!!!

How do I turn off this sh1te?

And please don't tell me to put on the keyguard and be more careful - I've tried that and it doesn't work! I want it off my phone!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

firstly if you go into settings-shortcuts or something similar (look for shortcuts) you should be able to change that to something else that won't cost money, eg inbox

Secondly you could go into settings-configuration you should be able to delete your o2 internet settings so it can't connect

Thirdly, someone might correct me on this but I think the o2 portal is free so your credit is probably being taken some other way. Even if it's not free you'd have to hit that homepage button an awful lot of times to cost 6 euro. Are you by any chance getting random spam texts?

• Site Banned Posts: 5,676 ✭✭✭jayteecork

Sam Vimes wrote: »
    firstly if you go into settings-shortcuts or something similar (look for shortcuts) you should be able to change that to something else that won't cost money, eg inbox

Secondly you could go into settings-configuration you should be able to delete your o2 internet settings so it can't connect

Thirdly, someone might correct me on this but I think the o2 postal is free so your credit is probably being taken some other way. Even if it's not free you'd have to hit that homepage button an awful lot of times to cost 6 euro. Are you by any chance getting random spam texts?

It's defo the o2 homepage. I'm hitting it a lot being clumsy and all and I checked my balance right after I hit it. I knew my previous credit balance exactly and sure enough it had gone down.

Thanks for your reply anyway I'll look into changing.

Edit: Thanks for that I've set it to a credit friendly calculator

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Sam Vimes wrote: »
    Thirdly, someone might correct me on this but I think the o2 portal is free so your credit is probably being taken some other way.

Could i suggest to the OP to check is usage in 'my account' on o2 to see for definite what used the credit.

Also changing the shortcut my not be enough as accidentally holding on the '0' button will launch the o2 portal unless you fully delete the connection settings.

I think in olden times the o2 portal was free on main pages, but now it is charged as per KB as per every other page.

• Site Banned Posts: 5,676 ✭✭✭jayteecork

yeah.
    Data 22/03/09 02:43 INTERNET 6.00KB €0.12
    Data 21/03/09 16:11 INTERNET 12.00KB €0.18
    Data 21/03/09 16:09 INTERNET 40.00KB €0.80

Definitely being charged.

Also, that reminded me, i sent a few picture messages and was charged but as you can see above I was being charged up to 80 cent per internet visit.
    Maybe more I didn't check all the way through.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

You can ring O2 and ask them to remove data provisioning from your account. That'll put the matter to rest :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

Don't delete your O2 Internet settings, just set up a dummy one and use that. Then change back to the proper O2 settings if you do want to use the Internet.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭andy0

You do need a keyboard lock as well, or alter the settings - because 0 is a speed-dial to reach your home page

Advertisement