Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Neuroscience/Omnibus Question?

Options
  • 22-03-2009 1:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I know that if there are places and if a student does well enough in their exams they can move into the neuroscience stream from the omnibus, but is the opposite possible.
    If a student is in the neuroscience stream by direct entry (DN036) and say they realised they would prefer to do something else in the science omnibus, is it possible?

Many thanks:D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭SmashingPilot

I think it is possible so long as you've fulfilled the criteria to enter that course, such as modules etc....

A friend of mine recently moved from Astronomy&Space Science to Geology with no problems, as he had completed the required modules. :)

Your best bet is to go to the Science Programme office and enquire about it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭Jammyc

I think it is possible so long as you've fulfilled the criteria to enter that course, such as modules etc....

A friend of mine recently moved from Astronomy&Space Science to Geology with no problems, as he had completed the required modules. :)

Your best bet is to go to the Science Programme office and enquire about it :)
    Brilliant, thanks a million.

Ive emailed neuroscience.degree@ucd.ie to no avail, You know of another address I should mail to?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 649 ✭✭✭fillmore jive

maybe check with the programme office? they should be able to sort you out, and if not, just check with whoever is in charge of your degree (most likely the head of your school). its a relativily easy process as well, happens all the time so you shouldn't have any problems switching to omnibus. best of luck:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭Jammyc

maybe check with the programme office? they should be able to sort you out, and if not, just check with whoever is in charge of your degree (most likely the head of your school). its a relativily easy process as well, happens all the time so you shouldn't have any problems switching to omnibus. best of luck:)
    Cheers thanks a mil.

Btw im not in yet. Im just checking if it's possible, in 6th year at the mo.

• Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭rantyface

Yes. You can leave neuroscience for a lower demand course (like everything else!) provided you've done the right modules, but it would be very difficult to get into neuroscience from omnibus. You need a GPA of about 4 to get into 2nd year neuroscience from 1st omnibus usually.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8 grisham

I would recommend going into omnibus science initially if you're not sure you want to do neuroscience. You'd get an idea for neuroscience in first year - and all the other subjects. There's definitely a get out clause for anyone in neuro if they don't like it, but if you didn't get the points for neuro I'm sure you could get into the course after first year.

Just wondering where rantyface got the required gpa of 4 from?! I can't imagine it's that high - how could not just a first honours but a gpa of 4 be required to get into neuro? Is neuro even that popular?!

• Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭rantyface

I'm in 3rd year and when I was going into 2nd year there were only two places for omnibus students in neuroscience, and that was because two neuroscience students dropped out.
    One reapplied through the official change of course (like if you wanted to change from arts to computers) with about 500 CAO points and got a place, the other got 4.1 GPA in first year.

You can definitely change from neuroscience to science though.

Advertisement