Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

course fishing in wicklow

Options
  • 22-03-2009 2:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭

hi lads..im about to move to wicklow(rathdrum) and am looking for advice on good places to course fish in the area.. any advice greatly recieved thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭coolwings

You're talking about an area which has water unsuitable for coarse fish species.
    Trout is the fish that does well in the rocky cold water streams and lakes of Wicklow.

For good coarse fishing get into the car and drive inland to the River Barrow catchment which overlies geology suitable for coarse fish growth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭Bratach Bán

Not much coarse fishing in Wicklow. You could head over to Blessington, and, as far as I know, there's a commercial Carp water in north Wexford that should only be an hour away in the car.

However, don't despair - Rathdrum has a very active trout angling club, so you might think of joining that. Bait fishing is permitted on certain stretches, and some of the rivers are beautifully suited to a quivertip rod and a small bomb weight set-up. Great fun catching trout this way - they fight like demons. As I said, check local regulations first.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭chiefwiggum

yeah i knew about the angling club and its great news to hear they have certain stretches for course fishing on the river...i'll check with some of the locals about regulations..thanks

Advertisement