Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Campus or Renting??

Options
  • 22-03-2009 3:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 884 ✭✭✭

Just wondering what everyone thinks about campus/renting a house. What will you be doing next year? Campus should be good for settling in but renting a house would give you more freedom. Any thoughts?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

I wish I could afford it :( I'll be staying home .

I think on-campus would be brilliant for first year, pretty much for the reasons Anne-Marie said. After that though, you've sort of established yourself, made a few friends and gotten used to everything, I'd rent outside.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 162 ✭✭irishmonkey

Up until very recently i had my heart set on moving out in august/sept to either on campus, or near to.

But upon further thought, I came to the conclusion that
    a) its very expensive - esp in these times
    b) have to pay for your own food, & bills on top of going out etc.
    c) most of the money you make in your job will get spent on this :(
    d) temptation to skip a lot of lectures 'because you can' and doss in first year, giving rise to an alarming possibility of failure =/

I'm dying to get away from the folks as much as the next young adult, if not more so!
    But since we'll be in college, my guess is (and my hope is) that freedom will come anyway.

Personally, I'm getting a car, and plan to couch surf on weekends to combat the "what time do you call this!"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭dragonfly!

Just wondering what everyone thinks about campus/renting a house. What will you be doing next year? Campus should be good for settling in but renting a house would give you more freedom. Any thoughts?

what college are you hoping to go to?

staying on campus at one college can be quite different from staying on campus at another.

Example in UL theres a choice of places to stay on campus (ranging from sharing rooms up to own ensuite room - obviously prices vary too!:)), some are old (plassey say) and some are modern (cappavilla for example)

but in St Pats in drumcondra theres no choice and is quite old compared to UL. theres also just the one kitchen for something like 20 people which i know would drive me crazy:o

In NCI the on campus accomodation can be used by anyone they dont have to be in NCI but 1st years in NCI are given preference.
    These are also quite modern but expensive. (they say its €120 a week but this includes holidays so it works out expensice) be sure to check prices carefully and what they include as NCI doesnt include electricity and ya have to buy cards for it from the local shop - these are €5 each and the average amount of cards is 2 a week for each person:eek:

thats just 3 that I know about anyway!

Also if you are a light sleeper/like your sleep on campus prob isnt the best place to be as they can be quite noisy.

On the positive side you wont have too much of a trek into college each morning and will be around people ding your course/make friends etc.

Hope that helps:)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

The complaints I've heard about Trinity Hall are, "it's impossible to get work done because there's always people over and things happening", and also the internet access is somewhat restricted (various ports blocked, no gaming etc.).

I'd say campus for renting, as it'd be easier to make friends and whatnot, and you're less likely to get somewhere dodgy etc., if it's your first time moving out. Okay, the level of independence isn't the same (and no gaming would kill me o.o), but it's still an improvement on living at home... if you enjoy cooking and cleaning for yourself. : p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 861 ✭✭✭KeyLimePie

depends !
    if it's ucc, then don't bother cause the city is so small you can get accom anywhere

if it's ucd ! campus is a DEFINITE ! i stayed there a month ago for a weekend and it was possibly the most fun i've had ever ! =D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

My cosy little home which is bang in the middle between Trinity and UCD \o/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭dragonfly!

Piste wrote: »

lucky you! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Staying at home, 10 mins from DIT Kevin St and then a 40 min total journey to ITT. Sorted.:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭captainspeckle

i am just finishing first year in ucc now and i stayed in a house. well to be fair, i had friend here who were in first year last year so they just kinda found the house themselves which was sweet:D but i was also lucky with housemates too. howver, neighbours when living in a residential not 100% student area can be a problem. ours like "reports us" (he just threatens us if we so much as have the telly loud. but saying that he is an extreme case of mean-ness! :p i think campus is good for some first years who find it a little difficult to make friends and generally survive away from home. it is more expensive but for a good lot of first years it is a better option. however, you just cant beat the freedom and inpependance of having your own house. would def reccomend it to anyone who likes their freedom!

Renting >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> campus. Plus prices are generally the same or cheaper for renting, especially nowadays.

A big part of college is freedom. Maybe do campus for 1st year if you don't know anyone but move in second!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 884 ✭✭✭ya-ba-da-ba-doo

i really want to rent.. seems like great craic and would be staying with lads i know too so i think thats what ill be doin! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭JSK 252

Piste wrote: »

Im only 10 minutes from ucc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭Red Crow

Home. Live 15 mins from UCD.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭Fringe

I'm staying at home since I'm going to Trinity. I'd say the whole freedom and moving out would be great fun but I really am too lazy and money would be such a problem. Also, it'd be a bit weird when Trinity Hall is only a 10 minute walk from my house.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭SmellySockies

Well I'm living on campus and its fine we have loadsss of freedom but I can't speak for other colleges as this is UL and most of the students live on campus there it even works out cheaper to live on campus if you include heating, internet, cable tv, electricity.
    Our village manager has caught my housemate twice with hash and didn't even give him a slap on the wrist. We get away with house partys all the time even during rag week when the security was tight. Oh and if your worried about wanting to live with your mates all you have to do is apply early and request living with them and you're in. So I'd say go for on campus I'm probably going to stay on campus for 2nd and 3rd year too and see about my final yearr.

Advertisement