Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jason Newsted 'most likely' to perform with Metallica again

• 22-03-2009 3:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭

HAMMETT Says JASON NEWSTED Will 'Most Likely' Perform With METALLICA At ROCK HALL Induction - Mar. 21, 2009 Flea of the RED HOT CHILI PEPPERSmag-glass_10x10.gif will induct METALLICAmag-glass_10x10.gif at the sold-out Rock and Roll Hall of Famemag-glass_10x10.gif ceremony Saturday, April 4, at Public Auditorium in Cleveland, Ohio.

"It's cool that he's not in a heavy metal band but is a well-respected musician you might not expect," METALLICA guitarist Kirk Hammett told Billboard.com. Former bassist Jason Newsted will join the band that night and will "most likely" perform with the group," Hammett told About.com. "He put in 14 years with METALLICA, so I think there's no reason for him not to be there," he said. Drummer Lars Ulrich told Billboard.com that the evening "will be like a family reunion — a whole big pile of people, lots of friends."

The event will be televised live on Fuse and available online at www.fuse.tv.

Joining the band as inductees are guitar legend JEFF BECK, RUN-DMC, BOBBY WOMACK, and LITTLE ANTHONY & THE IMPERIALS.

METALLICA are first-time nominees, with the nomination coming 25 years after the release of the band's 1983 debut album, "Kill 'Em All". An act must be recording for a quarter century in order to be eligible.

Frontman James Hetfield tells EW.com, "We're very honored to be recognized. There's a whole genre around us that hopefully we can invite through the door. Hopefully there will be recognition for some of the bands that have changed music and changed people’s lives. That's what I think the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame should be about. There are certainly a lot of bands that aren't in there that I can't believe aren't: MOTÖRHEAD, RUSH, JUDAS PRIEST, DEEP PURPLE. But for us to be in there, hopefully we can bring some awareness to heavy stuff."
    http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/BLABBERMOUTH.NET/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=116567

Pretty cool if it actually happens

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭Stev_o

Jason's backing vocals would do so much for them live. Please be true!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Somnus

He should definitely be there. He's been more time with Metallica than any of the other bassists. It'd be cool to see him performing with them again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,602 ✭✭✭✭ShawnRaven

Oh god, It's Van Halen in 1996 all over again.

By the end of the year is out, the band will have no bassist, watch... ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

ShawnRaven wrote: »

Ha that is what I was thinking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,647 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

Huh?

• Advertisement

Huh?

It's a similar story to the Van Halen saga that took place in 1996. I'll try and keep this short, but it's gonna be difficult.

After VH's Balance tour of the US and Canada in 1995/96, the band were approached to do a greatest hits album, which Hagar was reluctant to record for, citing "giving fans one new song to fork out full album price for" as the reason (despite having about 2 best of's on his solo stint). None were recorded for it as they used Humans Being that had been recorded for the Twister soundtrack months earlier. According to Sammy, Eddie pretty much fired him, according to Eddie, Sammy walked.

Enter David Lee Roth into the picture. Depending on who's side of the story you got, according to Eddie, he was informed from the get go that it was a two song and a few public appearance deal, according to Dave, it was two, songs a public appearance and take it from there. So the two songs were recorded, and the biggest public appearance of the year as Billy Corgan introduced them on stage at the 1996 MTV Music video awards. About a week later after a lot of speculation on what happened, DLR too, was out of the band, leaving the band without a lead singer for the rest of the year.

So in this case, we have new guy, Rob Trujillo taking a back seat for the Hall Of Fame, and Metallica are now delighted to announce that Newstead will be performing with the Hall Of Fame, and Lars having a history of being a complete dick while James has been known to be his puppet. To me, the similarities of the situations are there.

Hence why i reckon the band are gonna be without a bass player by the end of the year. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

It is also very similar to the situation with Antrax, when John Bush was the vocalist and Joey Belladonna came back, for what was touted as a tour with both singers singing the songs from their eras.

Bush got pissed and left, rightly so imho, Belladonna stayed for the tour and is meant to have given the band the impression he would record a new album with them.

Tour ended, Belladonna leaves and says he never intended on recording new stuff and would only be interested in touring the old stuff. Bush is still pised and will not come back. Anthrax then have to look for a new singer.

On the plus side, there will be a new Anthrax album later this year. :)

I see Newsted playing again with the band as the start of Rob's leaving. I have a feeling that Lars/James are trying to have their cake and eat it. If Jason plays well and gets a big pop from the crowd, then they will think dollar signs and get him back in for a tour/album. If he does not do well, they will assume they have Rob to fall back on.

I cannot see this ending as simply being Jason playing a one off show, and Rob happily coming back once it is over.

Kess73 wrote: »
    It is also very similar to the situation with Antrax, when John Bush was the vocalist and Joey Belladonna came back, for what was touted as a tour with both singers singing the songs from their eras.

Bush got pissed and left, rightly so imho, Belladonna stayed for the tour and is meant to have given the band the impression he would record a new album with them.

Tour ended, Belladonna leaves and says he never intended on recording new stuff and would only be interested in touring the old stuff. Bush is still pised and will not come back. Anthrax then have to look for a new singer.

Good call actually, I had completely forgotten about this. The only difference is that it wasn't as public, much as i love Anthrax, it's not on the same scale as VH or Metallica would be. But i do agree about it being the beginning of the end for Rob. And i think there's too much distrust there in order for it to work with Jason again on a full time basis.

But i've seen stranger happen!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭Motley Crue

Newsted gets involved, maybe has a new band who open up on the bands NA tour, or maybe contributes something to a new song....I can see it happening now!

Kess73 wrote: »

On the plus side, there will be a new Anthrax album later this year. :)

I see Newsted playing again with the band as the start of Rob's leaving. I have a feeling that Lars/James are trying to have their cake and eat it. If Jason plays well and gets a big pop from the crowd, then they will think dollar signs and get him back in for a tour/album. If he does not do well, they will assume they have Rob to fall back on.

I cannot see this ending as simply being Jason playing a one off show, and Rob happily coming back once it is over.

I don't think Newsted is going to come back in as a full-time member?? That's ridiculous. IIRC, himself and Hetfield had a pretty acrimonious falling out just before the recording of St Anger commenced? He'll be at the HOF thingy purely because he was in the band for 14 years and was part of the band during their most successful period, and it's only right that the rest of the band acknowledge that, but that hardly means that he's going to rejoin on a full-time basis....? Also, I would be very surprised if Cliff Burton's family weren't invited along too....?

Don't get carried away, ladies n gentleman. It may be a reunion, but it'll only be for one night........

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,350 ✭✭✭Het-Field

I don't think Newsted is going to come back in as a full-time member?? That's ridiculous. IIRC, himself and Hetfield had a pretty acrimonious falling out just before the recording of St Anger commenced? He'll be at the HOF thingy purely because he was in the band for 14 years and was part of the band during their most successful period, and it's only right that the rest of the band acknowledge that, but that hardly means that he's going to rejoin on a full-time basis....? Also, I would be very surprised if Cliff Burton's family weren't invited along too....?

Don't get carried away, ladies n gentleman. It may be a reunion, but it'll only be for one night........

I hope you are right. Newstead is amazing, and a crucial part of the band which ruled the world in the 1990s. However, Trujillo is almost in Metallica 6 years. Regrettably (due to Cliff Burton's unitmely demise), Trujillo is the 2nd longest bassist in the band, and has become areal part of it. At the moment, I could not imagine, nor would I want Metallica with anybody else

Het-Field wrote: »
    However, Trujillo is almost in Metallica 6 years

In that time he has just done one album (Bob Rock played bass on St Anger and they chose not to re-record it)...he has toured with them a lot but I don't think fans have really accepted him, from the lukewarm reaction he has gotten at concerts

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

So in this case, we have new guy, Rob Trujillo taking a back seat for the Hall Of Fame, and Metallica are now delighted to announce that Newstead will be performing with the Hall Of Fame, and Lars having a history of being a complete dick while James has been known to be his puppet. To me, the similarities of the situations are there.

Hence why i reckon the band are gonna be without a bass player by the end of the year. ;)

I thought that the Hall of Fame only would recognize the original line up from the 25 year point and that's the reason they had to change. I remember there being a big kafuffle with Blondie when they were effectively forced to accept the award with a completely different band to the one Debbie had been touring with for years

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

hes a dam good bass player though,but I think jason had a better stage presence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭smooch71

The way JN was treated by Metallica and by Hetfield in particular, I wouldn't be rushing back to play happy families with them.

The best scene in "Some Kind of Monster" is the part where Lars and Kirk go to meet Jason backstage over a gig and he's buggered off!

I wish Jason had never left but fair play to him in a way. He's shown a sh1t load more self respect than any of the other three.

Bubs101 wrote: »
    I thought that the Hall of Fame only would recognize the original line up from the 25 year point and that's the reason they had to change. I remember there being a big kafuffle with Blondie when they were effectively forced to accept the award with a completely different band to the one Debbie had been touring with for years

I'm not saying that they're intending to boot Rob out and bring Jason back in, I'm saying what could happen is Rob could easily feel rejected by fan reaction to their appearance with Jason again and feel uncomfortable playing with the band again. And could resign...

Metallica with no bass player.

Then Metallica could ask Jason to rejoin full time, but Jason being treated so sh*tty will just say "no thanks".

Metallica, again, with no bass player.

Not saying it will happen, but it could.

I'm not saying that they're intending to boot Rob out and bring Jason back in, I'm saying what could happen is Rob could easily feel rejected by fan reaction to their appearance with Jason again and feel uncomfortable playing with the band again. And could resign...

Metallica with no bass player.

Then Metallica could ask Jason to rejoin full time, but Jason being treated so sh*tty will just say "no thanks".

Metallica, again, with no bass player.

Not saying it will happen, but it could.

Somebody has waaaaaaaaaaaaay too much time on their hands! :rolleyes:

Somebody has waaaaaaaaaaaaay too much time on their hands! :rolleyes:

Happened with Anthrax, it IS possible. It's not a case of having too much time on my hands, it's a possibility, that's all. :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭Doctor J

Bring back Ron McGovney and put an end to this nonsense, the rest are all blow-ins :pac:

Given the bad feeling that accompanied Newsted's departure, it just strikes me as a tremendously bad idea for him to play with them again, especially for some trivial biz doo. Part of me hopes Trujillo does get shafted after his part in the shafting of Bob Daisley though. What goes around comes around, Rob :D

Doctor J wrote: »
    Bring back Ron McGovney and put an end to this nonsense, the rest are all blow-ins :pac:

Bwahaha. *waits for the first one who didn't get the joke* :D
    Given the bad feeling that accompanied Newsted's departure, it just strikes me as a tremendously bad idea for him to play with them again, especially for some trivial biz doo. Part of me hopes Trujillo does get shafted after his part in the shafting of Bob Daisley though. What goes around comes around, Rob :D

Wow, I completely forgot about that whole Hazzy Hazbeen deal. Although to be fair, that idea of re-recording the bass tracks was down to Ozzy, Rob was just the poor unfortunate who was touring with him at the time who got the job to re-record them. The shafting was more down to Ozzy than Rob. :)

• Advertisement

He could've said no, he didn't, 'nuff said :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

In that time he has just done one album (Bob Rock played bass on St Anger and they chose not to re-record it)...he has toured with them a lot but I don't think fans have really accepted him, from the lukewarm reaction he has gotten at concerts

That's partly because of the retarded front he puts on at shows. I went to see them in the RDS last year, and it actually turned me off Metallica as a group. He doesn't look like part of the band, more like a skateboarder on steroids, and he spent the whole gig running from one side of the stage to the other, squatting down like he needed a sh*t, and making retarded faces.

Out of the whole band, he just stuck out like a sore thumb for me. I'd happily have Newstead back any day.

ned78 wrote: »
    making retarded faces
    In fairness, look at pretty much every Metallica picture from the last 10 years, they're all at it, they must think gurning will keep them hip with the young 'uns :D

He could've said no, he didn't, 'nuff said :)

if this is robert we are still talking about i dont think he belongs in metallica to be honest

That was in regards to him agreeing to record note for note over Bob Daisley's original tracks on the first two Ozzy albums so that Daisley would no longer be entitled to mechanical royalties for sales of said albums.

That was in regards to him agreeing to record note for note over Bob Daisley's original tracks on the first two Ozzy albums so that Daisley would no longer be entitled to mechanical royalties for sales of said albums.

Actually, you know what came to mind when this came into conversation earlier, how funny would it be if Metallica pulled the same tactic, with the same bass player to remaster AJFA? :pac:

They'd never admit they were wrong though :D

They'd never admit they were wrong though :D

I dunno, a movie starring them, their kids and a shrink might help them along the way...

Oh wait...

Is Phil going to be at the awards, btw? :)

Zone it!

• Advertisement

I guess Some Kind Of Monster does need a sequel. ;)

Advertisement