Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Setting up .ie domain name

Options
  • 22-03-2009 3:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 532 ✭✭✭

What is the handiest way to do this? Do I have to go through the whole process of registering a company or is their a simpler and quicker way? Seems like a bit of overkill just to get a .ie postfix on your website.

Also one other question, .com domain for the website name Im using has been taken. But when you go to it the site is non-existant, it doesn't even have some squatter crap on it, it just says page can't be found. But when I did a whois it showed someone had registered it. Is there a process for claiming a right to the name if the party who owns it at the moment has done absolutely nothing with it since it was created last june?

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

If you want the .ie for a business then yes you have to register a business name and go through that process. Its not really overkill as it reduces the problem you are referring to with the .com name.
    As anyone can get a .com without any paperwork they are free to take that domain name and leave it sitting there, page not found just means they dont have an index page setup they might have been in the process of getting a site done or may have done nothing at all as you say but that is their choice and there isnt much you can do. You could of course contact them to try and get it from them but then if they feel you want it they may ask for a ridiculous price. If possible you might see can you go with a different domain name which both the .ie and .com are available, i see on the business forum you are only in the process of registering the business name also.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

Pub07 wrote: »
    Also one other question, .com domain for the website name Im using has been taken. But when you go to it the site is non-existant, it doesn't even have some squatter crap on it, it just says page can't be found. But when I did a whois it showed someone had registered it. Is there a process for claiming a right to the name if the party who owns it at the moment has done absolutely nothing with it since it was created last june?

Unless you have a trademark or similar then you have no valid claim on the domain name.

Advertisement