Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

English Essay HELP!!!

Options
  • 22-03-2009 4:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭

"You have been asked by a local sergant to give a talk to a group of 12 yr. olds in a youth club on the dangers of drugs and alcohol"

Can anybody give me possible ideas?

Thanks for your help.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭Delta Kilo

you could "convert" it into a short story if you wanted to. Start off with the usual, introducing yourself etc and then use an anecdote to explain the dangers of drinking etc. tell a story about a boy who went drinking and collapsed or something. Something more original might be a bit better, that is just something off the top of my head.

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭leesmom

dont forget register, for you to get an A it would have to be something you could go in and read out to twelve year olds that they can relate to, so try to put yourself back in that situation . dont make it like you are lecturing them, put a bit of humour into it

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Thanks lads but I'm still stuck on how to divide essay into seperate topics.

I need maybe four main paragraphs, any advice on what issues to discuss in these??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,645 ✭✭✭Daemos

Split the paragraphs into different topics. Here are examples of what you could split them into:

Alcohol
    Smoking
    Drugs
    Peer pressure
    Modern society

Not necessarily in that order. Just a guideline.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

"You have been asked by a local sergant to give a talk to a group of 12 yr. olds in a youth club on the dangers of drugs and alcohol abuse"

Thanks for your help.
    That's better.

I've been advocating for years the idea of having 'alcohol' classes in schools starting in first year. Students spend about forty minutes a week being introduced to alcohol. What is it? The laws concerning it? How it can be dangerous? and so on. You could bring that in in the conclusion if you like. It's a good idea, but good ideas seem to be frowned upon in Ireland nowadays.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Liquidsunshine

"You have been asked by a local sergant to give a talk to a group of 12 yr. olds in a youth club on the dangers of drugs and alcohol"

Thanks for your help.

ok i would advise you to be careful because with the essays they are normally looking for a specific format, which you can normally pick out from the question. Here you're being asked for a talk which would be in the format and style of a speech. Depending how many points its worth you should sort it like this 20 marks= 200 words 50 marks=500 words 100 marks=1000 words and so on.
    Then divide into paragraphs however you want. Maybe if its a thousand words you could have a hundred for your opening, a hundred for your closing paragraph and then divide the 800 words into the main body of your essay.
    Remember if you're doing a speech aimed at twelve year olds in a youth club to write as if you are talking to a group of 12 year olds. Keep anguage simple and easily understandable (no crazy long words they wouldn't understand), keep the tone suited to young children, use examples and slang to convey your point, keep talking to your audience do not forget to acknowledge them or the whole point is lost, ask rhetorical questions etc.
    As for stuff to talk about, talk about the cost of alcohol and drugs, how drugs fuel gangs, giving them money to buy guns etc, how easy it is for these substances to take over your life, use facts and figures about drink driving, death from alcohol, death from drugs, drunk and disorderly behaviour, the damage drink and drugs to your body and mind, how it tears families apart etc.
    Hope that helps!:)

Advertisement