Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My bike racing reports

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,400 ✭✭✭Caroline_ie

borat_kit1.jpg
    ba wrote: »
    what is Vino wearing? a jersey with his own face on it... where were the euro-fashion police that day?

• Registered Users Posts: 31,074 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

ba wrote: »
    what is Vino wearing? a jersey with his own face on it... where were the euro-fashion police that day?

If it's good enough for Rossi, it's Euro.

valentino_rossi_helmet_02.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭ba

what was going through rossi's mind when getting that paint job/portrait? "haha, this'll be hilarious when i lean into a sharp corner". pure hilarity. not. the euro rules are set to protect cycling from cheap tricks like this. Rossi and Vino should both be severely punished for their crimes.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭Diarmuid

Haven't exactly updated this regularly but maybe someone is still interested :-)

La Louis Caput 25 Apr - 100km/1800m vert
    Popular sportive in the region with the standard plenty of climbing. Managed to arrive 5 minutes late so spent the first 20 mins catching and working my way through the bunch. About 1800m of climbing and finished in 3:34 with an average of 27.6kph. Was cramping badly on the last descent.

Grand Prix de Biot 3 May - 52km/800m vert
    First outing with the serious boys (ie a real race). And it was tough. Entered the 3eme cat event which was supposed to start 10min after the 1eme and 2eme cat race. Change of plans, we all start together and the next thing I know I'm in oxygen debt on the second climb. Stayed with the main group for the first lap but dropped into the groupetto for the next two. No major climbs but plenty of up and down.. I think I finished in the bottom 5 out of 40 starters. Didn't have the gps but from the pm it was 1:46 at 28.7kph ave. Decided I need to train a bit more before any more cat 1/2 events :-)

L'Epervier 16 May - 133km/1800m vert
    This is a pretty big event organised by the same guys who run La Marmotte. Probably 1000 or so punters. Nice route down by St Tropez. Roads were damp from the previous night's rain so the start was sketchy with some dodgy corners. A few climbs of decent length but one very bumpy descent. Finished in 4:37, winner in at 3:57. 28.8kph ave. Funnly met an Irish guy jsut before the start line. He was preparing for a London - Paris race. He finished in the same group as me in the end. Great 50-60kph descent to the finish line.

La Laurientenne Andrei Kivilev 30 May - 100km/900m vert
    Local event (brutal website BTW), not timed, which was set up in memory of Andrei Kivilev who died in the Paris Nice in 2003. Vinokourov, who must live in the region, always turns up with a few mates and his fan club. The only thing worse than Vino turning up with his face on his top, is his fan club with the same gear. Anyways, really good route and very fast. I finished in 3:02. 32.6kph ave. Had good fun on it. Just before the last descent one of the race cars was leading our group, I managed to put a little gap on the group and then had the car lead me on the 8km descent. Put about almost a minute on the guys down it. Unfortunately I couldn't bridge up to the next group (only missed it by 50m) and had to sit up and let them catch me for the last 20km run home. Sore legs after that one!

I've attached the powerfiles for anyone who's into that. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭bcmf

wanna be careful with those reports.You could easily have a group of Boardsies showing up on your doorstep.
    "We are here for the Hilly Sportive".

• Advertisement

Bosses du Soleil 6 June
    Did a local randonee (un timed event) on Saturday from Monaco, Bosses du Soleil. Tons of climbing. I figured that cycling to the start was a good idea so left the apartment at 6:30 to arrive my customary 5 mins late. Bit of a chase to catch my club mates and then stayed with them for the rest of the event. Some localised showers were lingering around so the first descent was really dodgy but after that things dried up.

End of the day was 136km done with 2500m climbed. Legs felt good throughout and still had gas in the tank at the end. Probably because the pace was not too hot. 3169KJ total work, TSS 322. Good preparation for next Sundays big event!

Congrats to all the W200/W100 guys! Looked like fun (if cold!)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

Love the reports, Diarmuid. Keep em coming. Gonna have to do one of those events next year, they sound cool.

For our other Boardsies, the Irish guy Diarmuid met on the start line of the L'Epervier, that was my older brother.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

Yeah - excellent reports. Couple of questions:-

1. Can you post a link to your Facebook page?

2. You mentioned only taking up cycling about 18 months ago - out of interest what age are you - just wondering if there is any hope for me!!!!

Jawgap wrote: »
    1. Can you post a link to your Facebook page?
    pm me. My facebook page is pretty locked down ;)
    Jawgap wrote: »
    2. You mentioned only taking up cycling about 18 months ago - out of interest what age are you - just wondering if there is any hope for me!!!!
    I'm 33. I think if you really like training on the bike (and that it's not just a chore), then pick up Joe Friel's book, make a plan and stick to it. You can make huge gains in your first year, even with limited time. I think it gets harder after that.

In fact even without a plan, in the first year if you just go out and train around your sweet spot (you don't need a powermeter, sweet spot is that region where you are feeling like you are working hard but you could keep going for about 2hrs) regularly you will make big gains. That's what I did.

Cimes Du Mercantour 14 June - 115km/2900m

Just one more climb and I'm pretty much done. I had been dreading this climb for a while, not because it was particularly difficult or long, 10 km at 5%, but after the previous 4 hours I knew I would be pretty much "cuit". And I was. I had caught the two guys in front of on the descent probably because they were taking it easy so we started out the climb together. However within 500m of the start the Grassois cyclist dropped off. Had a few quick words with my new Italian companion and then it was head down to get the job done as fast a possible. I started out setting the pace but soon he took over. The heat was really bearing down on me now, unfortunately I did not have enough water to pour on myself so I had no option but to suffer it. My mind was doing the maths: 16kph and 10km to go, that's around 40mins. Crap. I stare at the wheel and hang on ...

As with all events the start is pretty hectic. I had done this race last year with a friend and it took us 5 hours, however this year they lengthened the route slightly but more significantly they added another 300m of climbing. 2900m to be climbed over the next 115km. Ouch. If you have ever cycled Dingle to the Conor Pass, well do that 8 times in a row and that's about equivalent. There were about 300 other cyclists amassed on the start line including a couple of pros and the reigning Olympic and former World mountain bike cross country champion Julien Absalon. Apparently he's from around there. Didn't see him and I was pretty confident I wasn't going to see him on the route either!

The start was a flyer, and straight into the first climb. 10km long and up 560m : I get there after about 35mins, Julien was there after 24 mins so, no, we won't be chatting on the route. The sky is blue everywhere and it going to be a hot one... I'm shoving the first powerbar into me on the fast descent to Sospel at 350m before the next long drag to 1000m. I found myself on the front a group of 10 on this climb pulling the rest along. Fine with me. There's not a whole lot of an advantage to drafting at 17kph so being out the front suits me fine. Feeling pretty good at this stage and thinking positive thoughts.

The descent from Col de Braus is a famous one, the series of tight hair pin bends which then open to 60kph bends. Unfortunately those 13 minutes of relief are over way too soon and so begins the next climb. I swear I don't think a cycled 10meters of flat road all day. This was the big and long one and with the sun hitting it in full force it was getting tough. 50 minutes later and I'm grabbing a coke from the food stop , another 400m to climb and most of the back is broken in the race. That coke has seemed to slow me a bit but I plug on. Then the road pitches up and the pain starts. The next 3km averages 10%, I pass a few guys bent over their bikes in pain and exhaustion, not something you see too often around here. To make matters worse there was a "vintage rally" being run on the same tiny road coming against us. Crazy. It's at this stage that I really start to think about the final 10km climb. This is taking so much out of me that I'm really going to pay for it on the last climb. Eventually the road flattens out and turns into a horrible rutted and busy descent and before I know it I'm teaming up with the Italian in Sospel.

So just hang on not long now, force the legs around. And then I crack, I drop Marco's wheel and drop a few gears. Next goal is not to stop. Never stop! So I keep plugging away at 12kph now. It takes me 43mins to crest the col and then it's just a 10km drop back to the finish line. I roll over in 5:07, Absalon came in at 3:44. Incredible. That left me in the middle of the table, which was an improvement on the bottom quarter last year.

Here's the route and elevation
    Some pics

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭WicklowRacer

HOLY MOLEY I wouldn't have recognised him... still a hero though:D:D

Silence please for 1 minute and 13 sec of prayer

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jy9Mos0zH-I

++1

Anyone else thinks Roche doesnt get the credit he deserves in this country ?

It annoys me when I see the adultation heaped on much lesser mortals in more populist sports.

Just noticed that Julien finished 8th in the Transvesubienne (which finished in Nice a few weeks ago). What a luser! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 291 ✭✭littleknown

by the way Diarmuid, julien absalon has won five consecutive world championships and is currently winning this year as well, i saw him race a few months ago in spain and yes he won, the chap is a savage.

like the posts by the way, some good cycling going your way.any chance you could post some photos on the boards link, cant open zip files on a mac .

fair play to you.

by the way Diarmuid, julien absalon has won five consecutive world championships and is currently winning this year as well, i saw him race a few months ago in spain and yes he won, the chap is a savage..
    yea I knew that ... was jokin earlier :)
    like the posts by the way, some good cycling going your way.any chance you could post some photos on the boards link, cant open zip files on a mac .
    Don't have any photos from the race yet but will post them when I do. The zip file is just the powermeter output. BTW you should have no problem with zip files on a mac. I only use a mac myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 aidandoyle

Diarmuid wrote: »
    Haven't exactly updated this regularly but maybe someone is still interested :-)

La Louis Caput 25 Apr - 100km/1800m vert
    Popular sportive in the region with the standard plenty of climbing. Managed to arrive 5 minutes late so spent the first 20 mins catching and working my way through the bunch. About 1800m of climbing and finished in 3:34 with an average of 27.6kph. Was cramping badly on the last descent.

Grand Prix de Biot 3 May - 52km/800m vert
    First outing with the serious boys (ie a real race). And it was tough. Entered the 3eme cat event which was supposed to start 10min after the 1eme and 2eme cat race. Change of plans, we all start together and the next thing I know I'm in oxygen debt on the second climb. Stayed with the main group for the first lap but dropped into the groupetto for the next two. No major climbs but plenty of up and down.. I think I finished in the bottom 5 out of 40 starters. Didn't have the gps but from the pm it was 1:46 at 28.7kph ave. Decided I need to train a bit more before any more cat 1/2 events :-)

L'Epervier 16 May - 133km/1800m vert
    This is a pretty big event organised by the same guys who run La Marmotte. Probably 1000 or so punters. Nice route down by St Tropez. Roads were damp from the previous night's rain so the start was sketchy with some dodgy corners. A few climbs of decent length but one very bumpy descent. Finished in 4:37, winner in at 3:57. 28.8kph ave. Funnly met an Irish guy jsut before the start line. He was preparing for a London - Paris race. He finished in the same group as me in the end. Great 50-60kph descent to the finish line.

La Laurientenne Andrei Kivilev 30 May - 100km/900m vert
    Local event (brutal website BTW), not timed, which was set up in memory of Andrei Kivilev who died in the Paris Nice in 2003. Vinokourov, who must live in the region, always turns up with a few mates and his fan club. The only thing worse than Vino turning up with his face on his top, is his fan club with the same gear. Anyways, really good route and very fast. I finished in 3:02. 32.6kph ave. Had good fun on it. Just before the last descent one of the race cars was leading our group, I managed to put a little gap on the group and then had the car lead me on the 8km descent. Put about almost a minute on the guys down it. Unfortunately I couldn't bridge up to the next group (only missed it by 50m) and had to sit up and let them catch me for the last 20km run home. Sore legs after that one!

I've attached the powerfiles for anyone who's into that. ;)
    Hello there,

I was that Irish guy at L'Epervier. It was nice to have met you, did you enjoy leaving that bunch on the last hill as much as I did ? :o)

aidandoyle wrote: »
    Hello there,

I was that Irish guy at L'Epervier. It was nice to have met you, did you enjoy leaving that bunch on the last hill as much as I did ? :o)
    Good to have met you there! Small world and all that

Did a 3rd cat race at the weekend. 10 laps of 4km. About 35m climbed and descended per lap (doesn't sound much until about lap 4 or 5) Felt brutal. I managed to hang onto the main group until lap 8 (50mins) but all the repeated accelerations had taken their toll on my legs and I was shot. My HR hit 195 (ave 180). Was happy enough regardless of the finish

Haven't update this in ages... will try and add reports for a few events since June

La Moïse Puginier 6 Sept 100km/1350m
    Only the 3rd year of this event but already a good turnout.I reckon there were 200 riders in the race. Started fast and stayed together for the first 15km. Eventually things settled down and the bunch split into smaller packs. Lots of ups and down for the next 75km until the longest descent. Around the top of the climb I caught a group with a tandem, and on the descent these two guys led things out. Savage fast pace, holding the wheels was a battle. At the top there were about 10 on their wheel, by the bottom there was only 2 of us. Rolled over the finish line in 3:21. No idea of the classification but it should be up during the week. Route details here.

Advertisement