Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Maths people please help!

Options
  • 22-03-2009 4:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭

I cant understand an A part to a probability question and it is really wrecking my head at this stage. I find probability and statistics fairly easy and can do all parts of most questions but this one is really getting to me!

Its 2006 Q7. part (a)
    The password for a mobile phone consists of five digits.
    How many passwords are possible?
    The correct solution is 10*10*10*10*10 = 100,000.
    Why is it 10? 10 is 5c2 but why can each digit be chosen twice?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

In the decimal system, each digit in the password can be one of 10 possible 'symbols' i.e. 0, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9

There are 5 digits in th password ergo 10*10*10*10*10

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭QueenOfLeon

Delta Kilo wrote: »
    I cant understand an A part to a probability question and it is really wrecking my head at this stage. I find probability and statistics fairly easy and can do all parts of most questions but this one is really getting to me!

Its 2006 Q7. part (a)

There are 10 digits on a mobile phone - 0-9. Each time you pick a digit for a password, you have 10 possible choices...therefore 10*10*10*10*10

hope that explains it ok :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭thebigcheese22

Delta Kilo wrote: »

Its 2006 Q7. part (a)

I think the fact its 5 c 2 i just a coincidence... Its 10 to the power of 5 because you can pick 10 numbers each time, theres not a restriction on any of the numbers or its order...
    Hope that helps, haven't done probability since last year! :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭QueenOfLeon

dammit sean you got in there before me :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭Delta Kilo

There are 10 digits on a mobile phone - 0-9.

I'm an idiot. Sorry. I get it now. Jesus i thought i could think better than that but all that is in my head now is the german bildegeschichtes and irish!

Thanks everyone for your replies!

• Advertisement
Advertisement