Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

To Strike or Not to Strike

Options
124»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭sovtek

Tell that to the machinists at Boeing...they came off a lot worse because of the strike, while at the same time substantially delaying the 787 program. The only people who gained from the whole affair was Airbus!

You are aware that prior to this instance you refer to there is about 100 years history of union activity that gained things like healthcare, 40 hour work week, safety on the job, pensions..etc etc.
    Corporations nor politicians did this! Unions did and one tactic that worked were strikes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭sovtek

its not giving the money to an individual, its used it to bail out the banks. Certainly not a great option, but do you realise the kind of repercussions that a run on an Irish bank would have for the country as a whole?

No it's going to a black hole and it's not helping the economy one bit. It's a stupid and inefficient way to supposedly "save" the economy. If the government can pony up billions then they can start running the banks to do things that will actually save the economy. They aren't and it wont.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,373 ✭✭✭Dr Galen

sovtek wrote: »
    No it's going to a black hole and it's not helping the economy one bit. It's a stupid and inefficient way to supposedly "save" the economy. If the government can pony up billions then they can start running the banks to do things that will actually save the economy. They aren't and it wont.

ok well lets make Sovtek the governor of BoI for the day, what would you do if you were parachuted in?

As it stands right now, I don't think anybody really knows what to do. Getting money moving again would be a start, but it seems like people are expecting it to be like the good ol days again, with credit everywhere, and it will be a long long time before we see that, (hopefully never).

As far as I was aware the finance minister now has a say in how things are run at the banks part of the bailout plan.

That doesn;t necessarily mean I have confidence in what they will do though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 101 ✭✭ckristo2

There are indeed many public servants and civil servants who do little but most of them earn (when compared to business salaries) fairly little as well.
    The point of making everyone pay is not just common economics it's common sense.
    It is obscene that at a time when many people are facing poverty that the 33,000 Irish millionaires last year paid less than €745,000 in tax between the lot of them, and a select few paid nothing at all. This is a luxury we can no longer afford.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭maggy_thatcher

sovtek wrote: »
    You are aware that prior to this instance you refer to there is about 100 years history of union activity that gained things like healthcare, 40 hour work week, safety on the job, pensions..etc etc.
    Corporations nor politicians did this! Unions did and one tactic that worked were strikes.

I'm not denying that strikes had (and maybe even have) their place. However, like the atomic bomb, strikes should be reserved for the most serious of issues. The collateral damage from the selfishness of a few people is severe (and sometimes even fatal, if you look at the British miner's strike back in the 80's).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 217 ✭✭Hookey

ckristo2 wrote: »
    There are indeed many public servants and civil servants who do little but most of them earn (when compared to business salaries) fairly little as well.
    The point of making everyone pay is not just common economics it's common sense.
    It is obscene that at a time when many people are facing poverty that the 33,000 Irish millionaires last year paid less than €745,000 in tax between the lot of them, and a select few paid nothing at all. This is a luxury we can no longer afford.

Got a link for that? Not saying its not true, but it seems like one of those "statistics" that could look damning but mean nothing; after all you're taxed on earnings, not capital, so it kind of depends on your definition of "millionaire".

As for the relative earnings between the public and private sectors; a. you know that when you go into the public sector, and b. you also have other benefits a private sector worker doesn't get; like job security. Frankly, if the top rate of income tax goes where I have a horrible feeling its going in the next budget, its going to make the pension levy look trivial. If we end up back on 48% top rate, I'll probably have to go back to the UK, because I won't be able to afford to live here, which is annoying because I've only just come back.

Advertisement