Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Smelly Pet Rats

Options
  • 22-03-2009 5:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,095 ✭✭✭

Hey guys.

My best friend has been keeping rats for the past few months and I've fallen in love with them. And I've been seriously considering getting some, but the only off putting thing is the smell. Is there any way around this? Also, their nails get very very long, I wouldn't be able to cut them, I'd be way to scared I'd cut their foot off or something.

Any advise for these charming creatures?

Thanks
    Em

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Interceptor

Rats aren't really that smelly in comparison to many animals - is the cage they are in well ventilated and cleaned out once a week? Male rats are very slightly more 'smelly' but I use the term carefully as I have never really noticed it in comparison to mice (which are REALLY smelly). Unless their diet is unbalanced (too much fruit - raisins are the worst i've experienced) I can't think why else they might be smelly.

Many people put an upturned ceramic tile or abrasive material for them to climb and this helps with the nails. I clip my rats nails and once both you and the rat get used to it, its quite easy. One of my rats hated getting her nails clipped so much she chewed them herself - problem solved!

If you have plenty of room for the rats to 'free-range' they will keep their nails down just climbing and running.

I'd recommend buying two females and seeing how you get on - males tend to be a bit idiosyncratic!. There is an Irish rat keepers website (Google 'irish rat proboards' - I got in trouble for linking to it before, dunno why) and you will get good advice there. Buy from a reputable source and enjoy these brilliant pets.

'cptr

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭Wolfsberg

The animal won't be smelly... the cage is the smelly part, but only if it is not cleaned out properly and as often as it should. Rats are very clean animals and make excellent pets as they are very intellegent and playful. They can also be very affectionate.
    Best of luck anyway!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Saga

If any youngsters id like to have one pleaseeee :)
    I had many rats 4 generations. But now i banot find any rats in petstores around Dublin :|

Advertisement