Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wimmin jokes - funny or fallacy?

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,152 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Stay on topic.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Silverfish wrote: »
    Well, I could write all day on this topic, but it appears I've lost my sense of humour along with you :)

An interesting thing happened in work the other day though.

Something important happened, and there was a few people up in arms.

Two of the lads were giving out YARDS in a meeting, ranting, raving, totally losing the head. That was grand. I got a bit riled up (sitting the other side of the camp, as it were) and in order to get my point across, raised my voice to shout over the ongoing yelling, in a 'WELL IF YOU JUST READ the list there it shows clearly yadda....'

The general consensus was the two lads are 'real go-getters, assertive, demanding, etc etc' where as I was asked if it was 'my time of the month'.

When I took issue with that, it was 'Ah have a ****ing sense of humour' *cue twenty lads laughing their heads off*

So what I learned was, if a man does something like that, he's looked up to. If a woman does something like that, she's a 'looper'.

Like I posted somewhere before:

When you're in the minority, but each one person from the majority decides to make one, or two 'throwaway' comments, they all add up.

e.g I work with 20 or so blokes. I'm the only female. For my first week, each of those guys made one 'throwaway' generic 'women! pfft' joke.

For them, it was one.
    For me it was twenty. Times five.

Times 2 years.

So its just not funny any more.

I understand exactly how you feel, I'm in a team of 22 with two other women, and I've found the only comeback can often be an equally cutting response back, but to be honest, just can't be bothered. I work with one complete neanderthal tho who can occasionally come out with seriously inappropriate comments and he's skated pretty close to the wind in terms of being reported a couple of times.

I do have a mate who manages a team of 20 odd blokes, and one day they were bemoaning the lack of women on their team. She asked them why they thought this was the case, and when given their opinion that women wouldn't be able to cope in their job, replied "Lads, have you looked at the top of the departmental org chart recently?" Cue sheepish grins from said blokes when they realised what they'd said and to whom.
    cbreeze wrote: »
    The name for this behaviour is sexual harrassment. Is there a workplace policy on bullying etc? It is easy to put up with it - but in the end it wears you down. Get back at them by never losing the cool, but request clarification on any perceived put down. Those workmates sound like the kind of chumps who probably would not be able to visualise the insulting statement if a non-white non-Irish national was substituted every time women/'girls' were the target.

Tbh, I would have the opinion that in the case of a lot of blokes who behave like this, firstly they wouldn't see it as harassment/bullying, and secondly it would most likely have a seriously negative impact on the woman reporting them, she still has to work with them, or find alternative employment. It's one area of employment law that is a minefield in terms of resolving as often it has to be dealt with in situ and it can result in people walking on eggshells.

E.g. I had a male boss years ago, who sat a particular way in his cubicle, so that he could "check out the good looking girls who were on the way to the bathroom" in his computer monitor (I kid you not) and he happily informed his female staff of this (maybe we were exceptionally ugly :D and not work checking out :D) Anyway this bloke was a complete out and out bully, and a sexist twat, myself and another woman reported to him, I ended up suffering from 15 minute bouts of vomiting every morning when I woke up for work and he was going to be there (if he was off, I didn't) ended up with severe stress that caused me to become physically ill, (requiring referral to a neurologist and two months of tests) and the other woman ended up ill also through stress.

He finally ended up ill himself and was out of work for long enough that the Department head at the time commented to the replacement manager how much better the quality of the work from his team was. So everything came out and was dealt with via the "anti-harrassment/bullying" policy.

It took SIX months, partly due to management inertia and fear of dealing with the situation. Even worse, it involved sitting down with the bully in unsupervised meetings and "discussing" how his behaviour affected his staff.

Finally he was removed from people management responsibilities, but we still had to work with him, and it remained very strained.

And yes, I could have reported him sooner, management could have dealt with things better, the meetings could have been supervised, but imo far too many people/managers/companies would rather not have to deal with this situation, the policies are there, but more so as lipservice than a reality.

Coincidentally I've come across three cases in my career of men using anti bullying policies also, and in each case they ended up departing the relevant companies on very bad terms.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

I never make comments about women and their hormones etc., and this might sound like an odd opinion, but I honestly don't believe that women go through any more hormonal related mood swings than guys, women's are just more cyclic and thus noticible. I mean, take Silverfish's first post for example, those guys shouting at each other in argument, nothing to do with testosterone? It's similar with the issue of depression and how many young guys are affected by that. The idea that guys are more rational or stable than women is a load of crap.

So I don't think that "wimmin" jokes are very funny. But I also recognise that there are a whole range of psychological and social problems affecting my own gender too, many of which are directly related to the issues women face. For this reason, I'm not too keen on the idea of feminism, because although I haven't done much reading on the subject, it seems a bit one sided to me. It seems pro-women rather than an attempt to understand both genders and why we view each other the way we do.

I'm not sure I put that very coherently, I've had trouble finding the words to try and express my sentiments, but I think you'll find that a lot of men feel the way I do, if even just subconsciously, and I think you see it on this board when male posters will interject in a topic and complain that guys face similar issues or w/e. I feel that if there were more feeling of unity amongst guys, more support for the issues we face, that as a whole, guys would be more inclined to empathise with women and you'd see a reduction in misogyny.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

JC 2K3 wrote: »
    The idea that guys are more rational or stable than women is a load of crap.

Imo it is too.

I've had more than one/two/three occasions to ask a boss/colleague if a male colleague was ok, in all instances there were personal issues affecting that individual's work performance, and personally as a manager I've taken blokes aside and listened to their problems/seen them cry about how their personal lives are affecting all of their life if that makes sense.

Whilst I listened, and did my best to help, or went to lunch with a boss who wanted to talk about someone's difficulties, I've never put it down to hormones, either privately or by publicly ridiculing someone.

Everyone regardless of gender, has issues to deal with, be it the death of a beloved pet, a family bereavement, moving house, marital breakdown, a kid not doing well at school, depression, grief, whatever.

Some people are more private than others, and might confide in a manager as they have to, to facilitate leave, then struggle on through their work day as best they can.

I have never, ever, ever, in 12 years of working in male dominated environments, heard someone ask a bloke if he's hormones are in overdrive, but I've heard far cruder comments in relation to women.

So yes, it's a load of crap as you say that men are more stable than women, but it's also true, that the fact we menstruate gives men an easy excuse for what they percieve as "hormonal" behaviour on the part of women.
    But I also recognise that there are a whole range of psychological and social problems affecting my own gender too, many of which are directly related to the issues women face.

Absolutely, the suicide rate amongst young males in Ireland is one extreme example I can think of, and it's something that deserves attention.
    For this reason, I'm not too keen on the idea of feminism, because although I haven't done much reading on the subject, it seems a bit one sided to me. It seems pro-women rather than an attempt to understand both genders and why we view each other the way we do.

And here we will disagree, personally I think feminism is about affording equal rights and choices, not which gender is better than the other :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭b3t4

The moon effects everyone on this planet. It was Thaed who cottoned me onto that one. What with us lot being made up predominantly of fluid and all. Werewolf, anyone??

Men are definitely as moody as women but don't tell anyone that, it's a secret. :D

Ya see I don't get what men, who use these 'jokes', are trying to achieve other than trying to demean the person it's being said at. I mean what is there to achieve? It, seriously, doesn't make any sense to me.

Thankfully in my workplace I've never experienced such juvenile behaviour. In the beginning, I do generally have to force the point with some people (generally men) that I do know what I'm doing. Once I've gotten over the initial hurdle they know not to question me though.

If someone did behave in such a manner towards me I hope that the deathly silence and sheer look on my face would give them indication enough that they are anything but funny. That's the ideal reaction of course but I'm thankful to not have experienced such nonsense.

From the, apparently, hormonally psychotic and incapable,
    A.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,241 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

Does anyone like being placed into a category at the sacrifice of their individuality, be they female or male? Sweeping generalisations about gender, or physiology, or whatever do that, are unfair to the person, and make an unwitting fool out of the joker.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Just to stick to the topic coz if I go slightly off-topic I'll end up going very off-topic. :P

I personally will joke about anything and everything. Including crude jokes about female body parts. And male body parts too! I do my best not to do it in front of people who'll be offended or made uncomfortable by it. That's just a little thing called decent manners.

The only time I'll make reference to a woman's hormonal stuff affecting her mood is if she's one of the quite sizable % of women (in my own experience) who use the 5-7 days a month they're on their period as an excuse or license to be complete arseholes and don't feel like they need to apologise.

To me it seems like it's women who feel inferior in themselves when it comes to certain jokes. If me and my mates are hanging out there'll be jokes about everything. No-one takes offence. Say something about a woman and she takes it personally. IMO because she thinks we're gettin onto her about being a woman, despite the fact we've slagged each other about being ugly, not being able to get it up, being infertile, having a small dick, being a dumbass, everything. Girls don't seem to notice when men make "sexist" or derogatory jokes about men, only about women and overreact.

Meh, I'm sure there'll be plenty of disagreement of my post. There are other things I'd like to reply to on this thread but like I said, I want to try to stay on topic. :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Does anyone like being placed into a category at the sacrifice of their individuality, be they female or male? Sweeping generalisations about gender, or physiology, or whatever do that, are unfair to the person, and make an unwitting fool out of the joker.

Honestly I don't care what people make fun of me about, and believe me, there's plenty to choose from. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,196 ✭✭✭Crumble Froo

excellent thread.

a lot of good posts and points.

personally, for me, it would all depend on context. most of my mates are male, so every now and then, i do get a sexist type comment, which is meant entirely in a jokey context, and i know that it's just a joke, i'll usually laugh, tell them to get fucked, or attempt a come back. (usually easiest to laugh and tell them where to go...). it is just a laugh though, same way they take the piss out of me for being irish. in no way meant to be offensive, just a laugh. in all fairness, the poor bastards (particularly the one who'se most likely to make the joke) have been there as shoulders to cry on/vent at and chill out with on the occasion* where my hormones do go a little crazy and they'll never say a word about it then.

if i was to get it from someone at work though, it is just not acceptable and i'd have absolutely no problems in telling them that and making a genuine complaint if it was repeated.

*possibly 4 times a year, a combination of sickness, tiredness and that time of the month, do send me a little cuckoo. :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

As for being in the workplace, I also work with 20+ men, I never have had the oppertunity of any of them saying that I am hormonal, I have been working here for almost a year and I have never had the fact that I am a woman come into anything. My job is not really an important decision making kind, unless I have to order more stationary so I rarely have the need to get angry at my peers. I think I am lucky that I am not in the eye of the storm sometimes, but at the same time I know anything that would be said would be done so in jest. I am not part of the camaradarie that goes on, perhaps because they are afraid to offend me? Sometimes I wish the lads would try and take the piss and accept me to be a person who is like 'one of them' that they don't have to tiptoe around the elephant in the room. So you see, it's a double edged sword.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,503 ✭✭✭✭jellie

In my experience the hormonal "joke" is only ever used by immature men who either dont really know what theyre talking about or realise theyve lost the argument and its a last ditch effort to save themselves. Ive only ever heard it used against a woman in a joking friendly situation where everyone was joking & we knew it was a joke. Ive probably heard it used against more men than females to be honest "oh haha it must be his time of the month".

i wouldnt particularly mind it between friends because i know its purely a joke, but if anyone attempted to use it against me in work i wouldnt be happy especially because I work on a team where Im the only female, and Im fairly sure a couple of the men look down on me already because im a woman.

i do get extremely p*ssed off on occassion in work (due to people being idiots) & itll be obvious but theres always a valid reason for it. To be honest im very tempermental in general in work but i dont let it show unless someone has pushed me over the edge, & its nothing whatsoever to do with my hormones, usually in a stressful situations like a day to a deadline. Admittedly i do go crazy at certain times of the month, if you looked at me the wrong way id probably cry, but at this stage ive recognised when this is coming & have enough sense to leave the room if i think im gonna go mental about something. I probably act more normal at my hormonal times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

I always find it very interesting when topics like this come up. I seem to be the only person on boards who works in a female dominated environment.

Before i get too far into things i will just say that as far as I am concerned...EVERYTHING is funny and fair game. Different people have different rules and until you have a good idea what someones line is you leave things be but the basic truth for me is that everything is funny because a smile is always better than a tear.

Anyways...
    When you're in the minority, but each one person from the majority decides to make one, or two 'throwaway' comments, they all add up.

I would agree with this, to a large degree. I work in a heavily female dominated environment. I am the only guy on my team, in my Dept I am one of very few males. I am leaving at the end of the this week and if i went into some of the **** that "women" have been saying to me in work recently I'm sure it would raise a few eyebrows. That said, i am taking it as all being jokes, as opposed to implying anything specific about my gender.

Now then, i have no doubt people will be happy to dismiss everything I say because i am a bloke, but **** em.

I will allow someone the line that this type of joke is not funny ONLY if they can say, under whatever oath they feel is most important, that they never make similar jokes about anybody else, for any reason.

As you can see, if you think about it, I would say 100% of people can't do that. Sometimes things just set us off, sometimes we ourselve speak without thinking about the impact on the people who will hear the words.
    g'em wrote: »
    But my opinion has changed rather radically since then, and I've realised that feminism is less about setting underwear on fire and more about recognising what I, as a woman, am entitled to given that I can do many (most?) things equally as good if not better than any given man and the kind of treatment that I deserve as another human being.

With regard to Feminism....i think the above is a sure sign of an advancement of your train of thought about Feminism g'em! That said, i still see the above as almost being the problem with Feminism...in my opinion. You are not entitled to ANYTHING because you are a woman my dear, you are entitled to EVERYTHING because you are a PERSON.

It does matter what you can do better or worse than any bloke....it only matters that you do these things becuase you want to and are entitled to do so for the same reason.

I think the last part "as another human being" is the part the should be hinged on.

The interesting thing is, your anger only got up because it was a MALE Mod who said this to you, is there anychance that this male Mod wasn't talking to a woman, but rather to a person?

So, to sum up. Yes, things are just funny and often times the upset person may be interpreting something that simply is not there.

Any time in the past we would have given each other **** about the "failings" of our genders we were doing it as people i think, not as a man and a woman silently at battle. :)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭Silverfish

I can guarantee you Dragan, I have never once made any inappropriate or even personal comment to any of the people I work with.
    Unfortunately to be viewed as a professional, I have to act like one.

I can guarantee you Dragan, I have never once made any inappropriate or even personal comment to any of the people I work with.
    Unfortunately to be viewed as a professional, I have to act like one.

I wasn't talking about work, i was talking about the general "jokes" than can occur anywhere.

As in, some gentle joke to boyfriend/partner about "men"? Brother? Father? Friend? etc

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭Silverfish

Dragan wrote: »
    I wasn't talking about work, i was talking about the general "jokes" than can occur anywhere.

As in, some gentle joke to boyfriend/partner about "men"? Brother? Father? Friend? etc

Well, you quoted me when I was talking about work, so I assumed thats the point you were making.

I'm not quite with you, because I may have gone 'Men! :rolleyes:' at someone for making a comment or doing something, that means I deserve what I get in work?

I never take something which causes them pain, hurt and illness and make a mockery of them for it, no.

Well, you quoted me when I was talking about work, so I assumed thats the point you were making.

I'm not quite with you, because I may have gone 'Men! :rolleyes:' at someone for making a comment or doing something, that means I deserve what I get in work?

I never take something which causes them pain, hurt and illness and make a mockery of them for it, no.

No, what i am saying is

1) the person who makes the comment may not MEAN to cause offence
    2) the person who hears the comment may actually just be in **** form at the time and read too much into it.
    3) If you are the type of person who also makes similar comments then you REALLY need to refer to points 1 and 2.

Thats about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,967 ✭✭✭Pyr0

g'em wrote: »
    If it concerns you why not start a thread. This one is about jokes at women's expense.

Doesn't stop the poster from raising perfectly valid points which I believe are in line with the thread, this is a discussion after all. If we were to create a thread for every opposite side of the story the number of threads in TLL would double.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,883 ✭✭✭shellyboo

amacachi wrote: »
    The only time I'll make reference to a woman's hormonal stuff affecting her mood is if she's one of the quite sizable % of women (in my own experience) who use the 5-7 days a month they're on their period as an excuse or license to be complete arseholes and don't feel like they need to apologise.

But those women are just idiots, no? Anyone who uses pain or hormones to excuse bad behaviour is an idiot - yes, it may explain a bad mood, but it certainly doesn't excuse it. If you treat someone badly, you apologise, no matter WHY you did it.

Re the original topic...
    A gentle ribbing in good humour, i can take - my housemate came in last night, spied my hot water bottle, and out came a barrage of painter/decorator/aunt flo jokes until I threw the hot water bottle at his head. I laughed along with him. That I can handle.

But as a putdown, a legitimate argument, or at work? Unacceptable. It's a cheap and easy shot and shows more about the person's lack of intellect than anything else.

Basically, if someone thinks I'm being stupid or an assshole, I'd rather they just said I was being stupid or an assshole. Call me on it. Don't make allowances for me because I have a womb, or ask me if it's my time of the month. A period is not a get-out clause.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

shellyboo wrote: »
    B
    A period is not a get-out clause.

It would be nice if more women stopped using it as one.

ntlbell wrote: »

Some women do suffer from terrible cramps and I fully support that they may have reduced mobility for a couple of days. It is more difficult to guage PMS and decipher if it is normal stress or hormone related or both. That's why writing it off as just 'hormones' and nothing else is a bit invalidating and insulting.

• Advertisement

It would indeed.
    WindSock wrote: »
    Some women do suffer from terrible cramps and I fully support that they may have reduced mobility for a couple of days. It is more difficult to guage PMS and decipher if it is normal stress or hormone related or both. That's why writing it off as just 'hormones' and nothing else is a bit invalidating and insulting.

Yeah, but pain isn't an excuse either. Yes, I'm in pain right now, yes I'm cranky as hell, yes I'm liable to burst into tears if my boss shouts at me - those are facts though, and not excuses for shltty behaviour. Especially as I know WHY I feel like crap.

No one's saying they don't.

But shelly was stating that PMS is no excuse for bad behavior etc

SOME women use it as one, all i'm saying is maybe if less used it as an excuse then men might be a bit quick less to assume it is?

There is no excuse for ****ty behaviour full stop. Why should PMS be less of a reason than ordinary stress?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,819 ✭✭✭✭g'em

Wibbs wrote: »
    Stay on topic.
    Pyr0 wrote: »
    Doesn't stop the poster from raising perfectly valid points which I believe are in line with the thread, this is a discussion after all. If we were to create a thread for every opposite side of the story the number of threads in TLL would double.

From the forum Charter:
    Off Topic
    - Posts that stray off topic will be edited/deleted, depending on their relevance to the topic at hand. People who ignore a moderator's request to stay on topic will be banned for a week.

Pyr0 banned.

There is no excuse for ****ty behaviour full stop. Why should PMS be less of a reason than ordinary stress?

Who said it was?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

No one's saying they don't.

But shelly was stating that PMS is no excuse for bad behavior etc

SOME women use it as one, all i'm saying is maybe if less used it as an excuse then men might be a bit quick less to assume it is?

You must hang out with an odd group of women, because all they seem to do is moan about having periods and use that as an excuse for all sorts of asshattery. Whereas I've plenty of female friends and whatnot and although they all have periods, none of them use their period as an excuse to be an ass.

You can't use women's attitudes as an excuse for men's attitudes either.

If we all want menstruation to not be an issue - either as an excuse or a lame joke - we need to stop treating it like an issue.

You must hang out with an odd group of women, because all they seem to do is moan about having periods and use that as an excuse for all sorts of asshattery. Whereas I've plenty of female friends and whatnot and although they all have periods, none of them use their period as an excuse to be an ass.

As I said, I must be just unlucky.

But as shellyboo agreed with me, I have to assume she has come across it also?

I don't think it's a rare thing.

one's odd is another's normality? or some such.

As I said, I must be just unlucky.

But as shellyboo agreed with me, I have to assume she has come across it also?

I haven't come across it actually... but, in a rare move, I am giving you the benefit of the doubt.

Must be my hormones.

• Advertisement

shellyboo wrote: »
    You can't use women's attitudes as an excuse for men's attitudes either.

If we all want menstruation to not be an issue - either as an excuse or a lame joke - we need to stop treating it like an issue.

I'm not, but if a woman keeps blaming something on X,Y,Z

don't be shocked that a man starts to assume XYZ if the XYZ is constant?

that's called learning.

Advertisement