Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RIP threads.

Options
  • 22-03-2009 6:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 995 ✭✭✭

In light of the recent Jade Goody thread in after hours, I'd like to ask why are these kind of threads allowed on boards.ie? Surely it would be classified as spam. The only thing you can really post with out getting banned is a message of condolence? It's like a thread filled with replies that say "+1" or what ever and they usually contain very very little content. Is there any way people can actually discuss the life of a person, whether they have a negative or a positive opinion about that person, who has recently died with out getting banned?

The moderation in that thread is a bit ridiculous.
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

I haven't looked at that thread but usually in these threads I allow negative opinions about the person. It's the over the top vile and repulsive ones I don't.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

Personally, I think Terry may have been a bit heavy handed. I did say I understood that a lot of people (mainly the (Edit: replacing the non-descript phrase "PC-brigade") over-sensitive type that cant accept other people dont hold the same bleeding heart views and would rather complain and call them a-moral than the discuss the topic or their opinions) were prob doing his head in reporting posts that were hardly OTT but there was no 2 way debate allowed.

Though I do owe Terry a thanks elsewhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

I haven't looked at that thread but usually in these threads I allow negative opinions about the person. It's the over the top vile and repulsive ones I don't.
    Yeah, in my opinion, that's the way it should be too. I remember when Conor Cruise O'Brien died, discussions about the stuff he became famous for was allowed (there was a lot of negativity but people shouldn't feel compelled to change their views on someone just because they've died), idiotic chucky comments weren't. As long as the negative stuff is discussed respectfully, it should be fair game.
    ShooterSF wrote: »
    the PC brigade
    Who exactly are the "PC brigade"?

Dudess wrote: »

Who exactly are the "PC brigade"?

I knew that was coming when I saw your name :D Ok, not one to shirk from my responsibilities I'll edit the post to fix it. ;)

edit- done

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Ass wrote: »
    In light of the recent Jade Goody thread in after hours, I'd like to ask why are these kind of threads allowed on boards.ie? Surely it would be classified as spam. The only thing you can really post with out getting banned is a message of condolence? It's like a thread filled with replies that say "+1" or what ever and they usually contain very very little content. Is there any way people can actually discuss the life of a person, whether they have a negative or a positive opinion about that person, who has recently died with out getting banned?

The moderation in that thread is a bit ridiculous.

I've read the thread now and there are plenty of negative and positive comments about her. The people who made those comments weren't banned. What is the point you are trying to make?

• Advertisement

I've read the thread now and there are plenty of negative and positive comments about her. The people who made those comments weren't banned. What is the point you are trying to make?

Well for example I was told to no longer open the thread. All for expressing a different view. There was no debate as such allowed, this was when the thread was still called "jade goody died" btw, so I wasnt in to **** stir. I dont think bans were the problem and those that did get one prob did go over the line but there were instances where I would have liked to reply to people calling a group of us insensitive but I couldnt for risk of banning, which is as bad as getting banned for it..

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,171 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

lolocaust

Lenny: "It's a secret."

Carl: "Shh! Shut up!"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 995 ✭✭✭Ass

I had a post deleted by a moderator because I laughed at the idea of giving respect to someone who had died, when during their lifetime they had done nothing that had deserved or achieved respect.

But that's just one example. Most of the condolence threads are the same. My point is that condolence threads where 99% of the replies consist of "RIP" and where there is no further discussion, are void of content and are a complete waste of space.

Well for example I was told to no longer open the thread. All for expressing a different view. There was no debate as such allowed, this was when the thread was still called "jade goody died" btw, so I wasnt in to **** stir. I dont think bans were the problem and those that did get one prob did go over the line but there were instances where I would have liked to reply to people calling a group of us insensitive but I couldnt for risk of banning, which is as bad as getting banned for it..

Ok first things first. You weren't told to not open the thread. That sounds like an order. You said it made your stomach turn to see people pay respect to her (or something to that effect I'm working from memory here). This a thread where people will pay their respects so that's why he said to not open the thread. If something turns your stomach then limit your exposure to it.

Depending on what you would say to the group calling people insensitive would depend on if you would get a ban or not.

I had a post deleted by a moderator because I laughed at the idea of giving respect to someone who had died, when during their lifetime they had done nothing that had deserved or achieved respect.

But that's just one example. Most of the condolence threads are the same. My point is that condolence threads where 99% of the replies consist of "RIP" and where there is no further discussion, are void of content and are a complete waste of space.
    That's not why your post was deleted. You said she was retarded and you wished she died again. These are the type of over the top comments I was referring to. Most of the posts aren't just RIP, they may contain the word but the posters usually expand on it and give their thoughts.

• Advertisement

This a thread where people will pay their respects so that's why he said to not open the thread.
    Just fyi, it wasn't originally a condolence thread. I think someone changed the title of the thread as soon as they saw it take that direction.

Just fyi, it wasn't originally a condolence thread. I think someone changed the title of the thread as soon as they saw it take that direction.
    I know. A thread about the death of someone will usually attract the people paying their respects regardless of if the word condolenses is in the title. I was just pointing out the motivation behind Terry telling her to not open the thread and how it had nothing to do with having a different opinion.

*cough* him *cough* Hey I get that. And I did say it turns my stomach. I discussed it with Terry privately after the matter and did stop posting in the thread. Im not looking to make a fuss here. I am saying that those that werent as sympathetic were frowned upon voicing it.

Yes I could have not opened the topic again but why? At the time the topic was about her death and her in general. I didn't agree with people posts so I argued my side. If I had told another user if they found my views upsetting they could just not open the topic I would damn well expect to have been slapped for it.

Again, not a huge issue to me. I understand Terry was probably not having much fun dealing with a topic that will raise tempers but like ass I was on the side that got quietened and it does grate a little. Just to make it clear I usually have the utmost respect for Terrys modding.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

who?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

It's all in the wording.
    Were you to go in there and call her a fat waste of space, I would probably delete the post.
    If you were to say that you're glad she died, I'd probably give you an infraction.
    If you were to say that you were not too fond of her when she was alive, I'd leave the post.

It was always going to go that way.

We try to make AH as user friendly as possible, without having to ban people left, right and centre. It's majority rules there and the majority wanted a condolence thread.

That aside, I did the exact same thing when Steve Irwin died. There were plenty of jokes (some quite funny) and I deleted them. I think I banned a few people too.

I know that people are dying to get in there and call her a racist bitch and a useless cúnt who was only famous because she flashed her minge on tv. I understand that some of you have a strong urge to post that sort of stuff on the internet, but I think it reflects poorly on the site as a whole when people post that sort of stuff.

It's quite possible to disagree with the path some people took in life without resorting to petty insults (especially the racist one. Having seen the show in question, I can unreservedly say that it was taken completely out of context and blown way out of proportion. She was a bit of a bully though).

I'm not going to pretend that I cared whether she lived or died. Personally I don't give a flying ****. Most of the AH regulars do though and that's who I'm catering to.
    I also don't want her sons stumbling on this site in 8 or 9 years time and reading horrible crap about their mother. I was of the same mind with Steve Irwin. Innocent children who have the spotlight thrown on them do not deserve that sort of treatment.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,030 ✭✭✭Lockstep

But what does a condolence thread actually achieve? Jade is dead, her family will not be reading it.

I understand no Jade jokes or vitriolic lambasting of her, but I see no problem in discussing Jade herself.

Fair enough. I have looked through the thread and there seems to be some negativity allowed without getting warned for it. Maybe I went in at a time when you were just trying to keep it under control.
    I took your comment as said with your mod hat on (maybe a pre-warning as such not to post any more negativity) when maybe it was more a user to user suggestion, though I did stay out eitherways :)

I only got discussing it here as AlmightyCushion was saying negative comments should be allowed whereas you had preffered(sp?) the thread to move down the condolences road and I just wanted to make that distinction clear that he didn't think ass was being, well an ass :pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Can everyone just please STFU.

The thread in AH is now clearly intended for people to post condolences. It's fúcking pathetic arguing over such crap. If you don't like the topic, don't open the thread.

The thread in AH is now clearly intended for people to post condolences. It's fúcking pathetic arguing over such crap. If you don't like the topic, don't open the thread.

A condolence thread for someone who is dead/who's family is unlikely to be browsing through an Irish forum?

I'm no stranger to pointless threads but this takes the biscuit.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,461 ✭✭✭Queen-Mise

So so agree with this. Jade Goody was never a saint & never claimed to be. But assassinating her character less than 12/24 hours after her death is not acceptable.

Having been to many, many funerals (lots of them were not angels), their characters weren't pulled apart in the first 24 hours after their death. How this is acceptable for a stranger when not for a loved one is blatant hypocrisy.

• Advertisement

queen-mise wrote: »
    So so agree with this. Jade Goody was never a saint & never claimed to be. But assassinating her character less than 12/24 hours after her death is not acceptable.
    There is a difference between question the hype over Jade and calling her a waste of space.

Having been to many, many funerals (lots of them were not angels), their characters weren't pulled apart in the first 24 hours after their death. How this is acceptable for a stranger when not for a loved one is blatant hypocrisy.
    Because Jade is someone who chose to put herself in the public eye.
    There is a difference between talking about a celebrity and the man down the road.

It's this attitude that ruins threads about current events regarding peoples deaths. If people think someone was a twat, what difference does it make about when the discussion occurs relative to the persons death?

Also, this is not specific to Jade Goody. It's the same with any of the topics about celebrity deaths (loved or hated).

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

A condolence thread for someone who is dead/who's family is unlikely to be browsing through an Irish forum?

I'm no stranger to pointless threads but this takes the biscuit.

Get used to it, it's not the first time it's happened and it won't be the last. Bitching and moaning about it won't change that very simple fact.

Bitching and moaning about it won't change that very simple fact.
    I guess we'd better delete the feedback forum.

Get used to it, it's not the first time it's happened and it won't be the last. Bitching and moaning about it won't change that very simple fact.

I've seen threads locked before as they achieved nothing (Dudess locking Kazobel's thread where she laughed about some guy hitting on her)

I see no problem with a condolence thread, but one which is exclusively a condolence thread is completely pointless especially when it allowed no debate whatsoever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Is there any way people can actually discuss the life of a person, whether they have a negative or a positive opinion about that person, who has recently died with out getting banned?

Max, is that you?

I think one of the most hypocritical things a person can do is bitch about and ridicule a person, and then take it all back and act all earnest if they die.

Being baffled at the insincere public hysteria and making the point that she wasn't especially likeable and that she was famous only for being famous... is not being disrespectful. Calling her names and cracking cruel jokes about her is.

Of course it's a dreadful tragedy, of course people's hearts go out to her little boys and her mother, but that doesn't change any of the above.

Whooooaaaaa. The OPs point was that a condolence topic was pointless as it didnt allow debate. Anywho the thread I wanted to see is now there (though I dont know if I even want to bother now :) ) so :P neh neh (Joking)

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

I'm just baffled as to why people would want to lambast a person whose dead body is probably still warm.
    I was brought up to not speak ill of the dead out of respect. I find it hard to believe that there are people who would willingly lay into a fresh corpse.

Then again, this is quite typical of the AH high horse crowd.
    All too willing to cast the first stone and use the excuse that she put herself in the public eye.
    You call those who mourn her death "hypocrites", but you are all guilty of the same sin.
    I can guarantee that not one of you would stand up and say the same thing to a stranger face to face. You would all be afraid of being seen as insensitive, but are all too willing to do it behind your boards user name.

What really sickens me is the jealousy. She achieved something that many of you have strived for and now know you will never achieve. Fame. It's irrelevant as to how she did it, but she got somewhere that most of you never will and she made a fortune from it.
    Yep. That's right. The offspring of two junkies did what most of you will never be able to do and that really makes you jealous. How dare the lower classes make something of their lives?

This reminds me a lot of the time that Limerick woman won the EuroMillions. Working class woman becomes a multi-millionaire overnight and there was no stopping the begrudgers pointing out ever little flaw that she and her family had.
    Of course money can't buy you class. This is clearly evident amongst most of the begrudgers, yet they fail to see the irony. Seems it can't buy intelligence either.

So she wasn't perfect. Who is?
    I know that I'm not, but are any of you begrudgers willing to admit to your own imperfections?
    I ****ing highly doubt it. I can see your smug faces up here on my high horse.
    I'm getting down now. another imperfection of mine is a fear of heights.

Edit: Just hopping back up here for a second.
    I'm not a religious man by any means, but there are a few good things in the bible.
    I can't tell you which chapter or verse it's from, but Let he who is without sin cast the first stone comes to mind in this instance.

• Advertisement

Who exactly is your latest bile-filled tirade directed at Terry?

Advertisement