Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RIP threads.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

The begrudgers.
    Did you not get that?
    I mentioned them several times in that last post.

There was no bile though.
    I keep that under control with Zantac and Gaviscon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Well, in light of your disgust at people not saying what they think to a person's face (you assume - you don't "guarantee") perhaps you'd mention a few names. A lot of nasty, judgemental, presumptuous, insult-laden comments there, apropos nothing. And it's getting a bit tiring the way you just lash out at people with impunity, covering yourself with the "I'm Terry and I'll act like a bollocks because I CAN" schtick... all very cute, but rather unfair and hypocritical.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

That's quite a rant Terry, perhaps you could do with taking some time off t'internet?

Dudess wrote: »
    Well, in light of your disgust at people not saying what they think to a person's face (you assume - you don't "guarantee") perhaps you'd mention a few names. A lot of nasty, judgemental, presumptuous, insult-laden comments there, apropos nothing. And it's getting a bit tiring the way you just lash out at people with impunity, covering yourself with the "I'm Terry and I'll act like a bollocks because I CAN" schtick... all very cute, but rather unfair and hypocritical.
    Am I not allowed to point out hypocricy?
    I didn't insult any particular person there. You see, I don't do that.
    In some cases I am guilty of do as I say, not as I do, but not when it comes to personal attacks.

Did you feel slighted by anything in particular in that post?
    If so, then you could always use the report post function.

Dudess, I'm a complete wanker. I don't hide behind that fact and I don't abuse my power as a mod (except for the odd occasion, but that just for my own amusement and never to attack anyone personally or undermine them. 10,000 posts would be an example).

Would you care to point out the hypocricy you are talking about?
    Links would help.

Rb wrote: »
    That's quite a rant Terry, perhaps you could do with taking some time off t'internet?
    Who are you?

Terry wrote: »
    Who are you?

Very cute, Terrance.

• Advertisement

I'm just baffled as to why people would want to lambast a person whose dead body is probably still warm.
    I was brought up to not speak ill of the dead out of respect. I find it hard to believe that there are people who would willingly lay into a fresh corpse.
    Some people are questioning the insincere outpourings of "grief" similar to when Princess Diana/Katy French died - and they've every right to. Some people find such phoniness revolting. It is of course a terrible tragedy all three women - two of them mothers - lost their lives so young. But that's it. These "mourners" don't know them and will forget/have forgotten them.
    Then again, this is quite typical of the AH high horse crowd.
    Seeing as you say "high horse crowd" I take it you're not referring to those who made the nasty comments/jokes (which were of course out of order).
    What really sickens me is the jealousy. She achieved something that many of you have strived for and now know you will never achieve. Fame. It's irrelevant as to how she did it, but she got somewhere that most of you never will and she made a fortune from it.
    Yep. That's right. The offspring of two junkies did what most of you will never be able to do and that really makes you jealous.
    You have absolutely no proof it's jealousy. Perhaps it is in some people's cases, but many are critical of her being held in such high regard when she didn't have any talents... it's more a criticism of her fans than her.
    How dare the lower classes make something of their lives?
    Oh that sh1te again. Reverse snobbery is one of the most tedious things there is. Highly presumptuous also - not everyone is as preoccupied with class background as you are Terry. Middle-class people get unbelievable sh1t - all because they have the audacity to not be born poor.
    So she wasn't perfect. Who is?
    I know that I'm not, but are any of you begrudgers willing to admit to your own imperfections?
    Can't see why they wouldn't.
    I can see your smug faces up here on my high horse.
    No you can't, you don't know what they look like (yeah I know it's metaphorical) - oh and smug? More presumptuousness.
    I can't tell you which chapter or verse it's from, but Let he who is without sin cast the first stone comes to mind in this instance.
    Yeah, like you've never criticised anyone. Jade had no discernible talents, she didn't achieve anything other than her shenanigans on Big Brother, she said and did some very stupid things - fair play to her ultimately and she had a really sh1tty life so it's cool that she got to make plenty of money, but at the same time, don't blame people for objecting to such a system that celebrates talentlessness, mediocrity and stupidity.
    She was right to use the publicity of her dying days to make money for her boys - I certainly wouldn't blame her that.
    Am I not allowed to point out hypocricy?
    If you have solid proof of it, sure.
    I didn't insult any particular person there.
    You didn't have to - you often make sweeping aggressive statements directed at all After Hours users, just because a few of them are tools.
    Did you feel slighted by anything in particular in that post?
    I've reason to believe I was one of the people to whom it was directed, yes, but then again, maybe it wasn't. Either way I couldn't give a sh1t, but I just think the post, generally speaking, directed at so many people on a forum you moderate, is lacking class somewhat.
    Dudess, I'm a complete wanker.
    Why do you have to act all proud of it and be of the view it exempts you from being civil?
    I don't hide behind that fact and I don't abuse my power as a mod (except for the odd occasion, but that just for my own amusement
    That just doesn't make sense - "I sometimes abuse my power as a mod but it's ok because I'm Terry" essentially is how it reads.
    Would you care to point out the hypocricy you are talking about?
    I'm talking about a general hypocrisy - "I'll act the bollocks but you'd ****ing better be civil" in a nutshell.

is lacking class somewhat.

You do realise who you're addressing, right?

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,504 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

Priest: He was a good man, he was a kind man. He gave to his community and asked little in return. He never...

That's a woman? Dear lord!

yeah, i'm going to hell, i know...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 231 ✭✭IrishSerf

She'd have loved the attention you three are giving her

• Registered Users Posts: 9,030 ✭✭✭Lockstep

I'm just baffled as to why people would want to lambast a person whose dead body is probably still warm.
    I was brought up to not speak ill of the dead out of respect. I find it hard to believe that there are people who would willingly lay into a fresh corpse.
    I never really understood the "don't speak ill of the dead" rule.
    If someone was unpleasant in life, I'm not going to suddenly change my opinion of them the minute they croak.
    Jade made a career out of being a celebrity. Her name is all over the media so I think it's natural for there to be debate and going over her career,

Then again, this is quite typical of the AH high horse crowd.
    All too willing to cast the first stone and use the excuse that she put herself in the public eye.
    You call those who mourn her death "hypocrites", but you are all guilty of the same sin.
    I can guarantee that not one of you would stand up and say the same thing to a stranger face to face. You would all be afraid of being seen as insensitive, but are all too willing to do it behind your boards user name.
    I fail to see the hypocrisy.
    SHe's dead, there are those who act like she was some kind of deity, some who think she deserves nothing of ridicule and a lot of people in between; yes it's a shame she's dead but wondering what was so special about her.

What really sickens me is the jealousy. She achieved something that many of you have strived for and now know you will never achieve. Fame. It's irrelevant as to how she did it, but she got somewhere that most of you never will and she made a fortune from it.
    Yep. That's right. The offspring of two junkies did what most of you will never be able to do and that really makes you jealous. How dare the lower classes make something of their lives?
    Terry, the issue isn't with Jade being famous but why she's famous. Literally, what has she done that we should be jealous of? Fame? Money? Personally, I'm happy with my mundane little life.
    This reminds me a lot of the time that Limerick woman won the EuroMillions. Working class woman becomes a multi-millionaire overnight and there was no stopping the begrudgers pointing out ever little flaw that she and her family had.
    Of course money can't buy you class. This is clearly evident amongst most of the begrudgers, yet they fail to see the irony. Seems it can't buy intelligence either.
    A woman having the luck to win the lottery is not comparable to someone who makes a career out of acting the twat on TV.
    So she wasn't perfect. Who is?
    I know that I'm not, but are any of you begrudgers willing to admit to your own imperfections?
    I ****ing highly doubt it. I can see your smug faces up here on my high horse.
    I'm getting down now. another imperfection of mine is a fear of heights.
    True I have many many flaws, however, I did not broadcast them on the media and have a media circus based around me and my failings.
    See the difference?
    Edit: Just hopping back up here for a second.
    I'm not a religious man by any means, but there are a few good things in the bible.
    I can't tell you which chapter or verse it's from, but Let he who is without sin cast the first stone comes to mind in this instance.
    Yet again, Jade is a celebrity, she chose to enter the public eye and tried hard to stay there. It is only natural that she will be discussed and her flaws pointed out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

I'd like to think that most people that said things that were less than she was a saint on that thread would not have started a thread just to bash her while she was "still warm". I think most were shocked at some who painted her as the next coming of Jeebus and when they made this point they were attacked for being insensitive.

It has a lot to do with context. My first post in the thread IF it had been the beginning of the topic I would have felt it had been deplorable but after 10 pages of some OTT Jade-worship I felt it was an effort to show how insane the praise was.

Also I'd never in a million years consider myself a high-horse type. If anything I'm a mud-puddle dweller. However I always express my opinions the same in AH as do in life (which has gotten my mentioned in the local paper as an asylum basher before) so at least I'm honest in how I feel.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Nick_oliveri

No.... not Jade. :pac:

I love it, leave it open. It reminds me of that dead model thread. Oh lawwd they done so much for the world.....

Pop culture idiots suddenly have a mild dose of humanity over so called "great and influential people". While Africans are still "burning witches" and starving to death while we cry over these...(i wont finish that) . Well if little starvin marvin was on Big brother it would be a different story wouldnt it?

"+1, poor Jade"
    STFU.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

While Africans are still "burning witches" and starving to death while we cry over these...(i wont finish that) . .

While I agree with your point, I never see most of the people with this opinion starting regular threads about these ethically superior topics.

As such, I always conclude that the examples are only trotted out as an argument-quelling, final word in celebrity-themed threads, i.e., anonymous starving baby trump card tops Katy French trump card.

Some people are questioning the insincere outpourings of "grief" similar to when Princess Diana/Katy French died - and they've every right to. Some people find such phoniness revolting. It is of course a terrible tragedy all three women - two of them mothers - lost their lives so young. But that's it. These "mourners" don't know them and will forget/have forgotten them.

Seeing as you say "high horse crowd" I take it you're not referring to those who made the nasty comments/jokes (which were of course out of order).

You have absolutely no proof it's jealousy. Perhaps it is in some people's cases, but many are critical of her being held in such high regard when she didn't have any talents... it's more a criticism of her fans than her.

Oh that sh1te again. Reverse snobbery is one of the most tedious things there is. Highly presumptuous also - not everyone is as preoccupied with class background as you are Terry. Middle-class people get unbelievable sh1t - all because they have the audacity to not be born poor.

Can't see why they wouldn't.

No you can't, you don't know what they look like (yeah I know it's metaphorical) - oh and smug? More presumptuousness.

Yeah, like you've never criticised anyone. Jade had no discernible talents, she didn't achieve anything other than her shenanigans on Big Brother, she said and did some very stupid things - fair play to her ultimately and she had a really sh1tty life so it's cool that she got to make plenty of money, but at the same time, don't blame people for objecting to such a system that celebrates talentlessness, mediocrity and stupidity.
    She was right to use the publicity of her dying days to make money for her boys - I certainly wouldn't blame her that.

If you have solid proof of it, sure.

You didn't have to - you often make sweeping aggressive statements directed at all After Hours users, just because a few of them are tools.

I've reason to believe I was one of the people to whom it was directed, yes, but then again, maybe it wasn't. Either way I couldn't give a sh1t, but I just think the post, generally speaking, directed at so many people on a forum you moderate, is lacking class somewhat.

Why do you have to act all proud of it and be of the view it exempts you from being civil?

That just doesn't make sense - "I sometimes abuse my power as a mod but it's ok because I'm Terry" essentially is how it reads.

I'm talking about a general hypocrisy - "I'll act the bollocks but you'd ****ing better be civil" in a nutshell.
    I'm not arsed going through that whole post and picking it apart. It's not that I have aything better to do, it's just that I really couldn't be bothered.

Dudess, you were an AH mod. You know exactly how things work there.
    Here are some of the 49 wonderful posts I deleted from that thread:
    What a fantastic weekend!

First the Grand Slam, then Bernard Dunne, and now Jade.
    Goody riddance!!!!!!!
    rip, if god is female she just got a goody for mothers day.
    Thankfully we won the Grand Slam, otherwise she'd be all over the front pages.
    I'd say Kerry Katona will be the next one to go
    Don't forget your Goody Bag on the way out....
    That's just some of the ones from the first page.
    I don't see any criticism of her fame there. I don't see anyone questioning how she behaved during her life.
    You have access to the reported posts forum. You can see all the posts which were reported and the fact that people were not happy with the crap happening in that thread.

Are they the type of comments you wanted to post?
    I don't think so.
    kickoutthejams started a thread to discuss her actions in life, so I really don't see what the problem is here, unless you are unhappy with my overall moderating in AH and have chosen this thread to pick at it.
    If that is the case, start a thread in Help Desk, report my posts and so forth.
    I moderated the crap out of that thread in the interest of taste.
    Like I said earlier, I couldn't give a flying **** about Jade Goody. The actions I took were in what I believed to be the best ones for AH. I stand by my decisions.

As for my little rant, well that wasn't directed at anyone in particular.
    There's not really much I can do about your ego if you think it was directed at you, apart from saying that it wasn't.
    I won't be naming names here. That would amount to personal abuse. Besides, it really was a general rant which wasn't directed at any one particular person.
    Aren't you the guy who was recently permanently banned from AH?
    How does this affect you? You can't post in AH.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

RIP threads on the internet are pathetic. Especially for someone like Jade Goody.

A chav famous for being famous, and for being a racist, and for getting cancer and dying young.

It's terrible she got cancer and died at such a young age, leaving two kids behind to be looked after by her complete twat of a husband, but people rushing to post 'oh RIP poor Jade, how terrible she died on Mother's Day and all'. 'Look at me, look how much I care on the internet'.

Get a grip.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

Unless you have something useful to add to this discussion, might I suggest you refrain from commenting.

It's terrible she got cancer and died at such a young age, leaving two kids behind to be looked after by her complete twat of a husband, but people rushing to post 'oh RIP poor Jade, how terrible she died on Mother's Day and all'. 'Look at me, look how much I care on the internet'.

As opposed to rushing to post Look at me, look how much I don't care on the internet.

Ignore the thread if it has her name in the title. Simple.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

I look forward to the Joseph Fritzl condolence thread when he eventually pops his clogs.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Nick_oliveri

stovelid wrote: »
    While I agree with your point, I never see most of the people with this opinion starting regular threads about these ethically superior topics.
    I will agree on that, ive started one thread about the subject (wasnt on AH). Nobody wants to see these threads or care much about them or even the dying Iraqis anymoar because they are sick of the emotional outreach Trocaire adverts or its being reported on so much that it dies off after so long. Like Sky news and the Iraqis.

I know this is OT but it amazing how we can live in a "society" with such materialism and cry about our shítty economies when all this genocide and suffering remains constant. That thread IMO is a reflection on this pop culture materialistic society who have lost their priorities a long time ago, and the governments love this convienient culture, because then they can mount their debt on other things like 1st class tickets, makeup artists etc rather than sorting it the **** out and shutting whinging tools like me the **** up.

It sickens me but i wont request it closed, id rather this **** be exposed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

stovelid wrote: »
    As opposed to rushing to post Look at me, look how much I don't care on the internet.

Ignore the thread if it has her name in the title. Simple.

I care as much as I do about any other total stranger who died. A tiny amount. It's bad she died young, but this sort of Katy French/Princess Di public outpouring is pure hypocrisy.

• Advertisement

I care as much as I do about any other total stranger who died. A tiny amount. It's bad she died young, but this sort of Katy French/Princess Di public outpouring is pure hypocrisy.
    I'm not too fond of it myself, but a lot of people are and we're just providing them with an outlet.

I don't have access to the soccer forum. I never requested access. I have no interest in soccer. The forum is there though because people want it there.

Had I got to the Jade Goody thread earlier in the day I would have moved it to the Celeb forum. By the time I did get to it (and I was the only AH mod on-line at the time. The others seem to be night owls) the thread had about 200 posts in it.
    As a general rule, we don't move threads that have the AH mark on them. It's not really fair on the other mods.

We were getting lots of reported posts from disgruntled users complaining about the content of some of the posts in the thread.
    I dealt with them in the same way that I'd deal with any other thread.
    There was a lot of trolling going on, so I dealt with that.

If you saw some of the posts in that thread, it would make you weep for the future of humanity. I'm talking about the deleted ones. (I know lots of people here don't like celebrity culture. Blah blah blah. Heard it already.) I can tell you that there are some sick ****s out there.

I know it's a cliche, but I was genuinely thinking of the children.
    I don't really care if someone is pissed off that they can't take the piss out of a dead woman in AH.

I'm not arsed going through that whole post and picking it apart. It's not that I have aything better to do, it's just that I really couldn't be bothered.
    Oh, you can't take valid/fair criticism. Fair enough - you're human. ;)
    Dudess, you were an AH mod. You know exactly how things work there.
    I also know that while there are some quite awful individuals posting to After Hours, the majority of AH posters are all right. Moderating that forum actually gave me that insight - I hadn't realised it beforehand. They don't all deserve abuse/to be tarred with the same brush as the muppets.
    Here are some of the 49 wonderful posts I deleted from that thread:
    Thankfully we won the Grand Slam, otherwise she'd be all over the front pages.
    Fair point. Over-saturation would have been at a premium - some find that objectionable... like it was when Katy French died. Doesn't disrespect the woman - in fact it's more disrespectful and undignified to sell lots and lotsa newspapers/make lots and lotsa TV advertising revenue out of it. Murdoch must be in his element.
    The Kerry Katona comment was fairly innocuous also. The rest were horrible, I agree.
    unless you are unhappy with my overall moderating in AH and have chosen this thread to pick at it.
    Not your overall moderating, just the aggressive tone you often take, which isn't necessary (can you try not to take that as a personal attack? It isn't - it's purely an observation). And it's not like I calculatedly chose this thread to make that point - I was just taken aback by the absolute venom of your earlier post on this thread attacking AH regulars. But forget it - I don't see any point in discussing that further, it would go nowhere. I've said it - nothing more to see here.
    There's not really much I can do about your ego if you think it was directed at you, apart from saying that it wasn't.
    I said I had reason to believe it might be, but I was also bearing in mind it might not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 Akantha

Watched the thread grow from its infancy yesterday. Terry did a really good job cleaning up a lot of vile drivel and stopping more happening.

Tough sh1t if people can't post what they would like to on d'internet. There is no god given right.

That said perhaps the better answer is to not allow RIP threads? What use do they really serve? In that respect I'd have to agree with Twoshedstroy. They really do serve no purpose and you are always going to get some rather distasteful remarks from some thankswhore.

Oh, you can't take valid/fair criticism. Fair enough - you're human. ;)
    No. I just can't be arsed arguing with you. You never let things go and I couldn't be bothered going around in circles.
    Sometimes it's just better to walk away...

Aren't you the guy who was recently permanently banned from AH?

Indeed I am.
    How does this affect you? You can't post in AH.

It doesn't affect me, to be quite honest, your shoddy moderation and attitude has turned that forum to shit so it's not really a loss that I can't post there and join in with all the "Omg let me try my hardest to be funny so I can get people to thank my post" shit and bleeding heart bullshit that populates it these days.

That is, however, besides the point.

Yet again we have a thread complaining about the moderation in AH and yet again you're the one behind it, yet somehow nothing is ever done about it. Why is that? Why is your "I'm Terry, I can do what I like" attitude tolerated when you're the moderator of one of the biggest user-creating forums on this site?

Is it because people feel sympathy or pity you? I don't know, but I sure as hell haven't seen such an attitude tolerated in other fora.

Regarding these "RIP" threads, if people want to post "Good riddance" or similar then they should be as free to do so as the people who post "Poor Jade".

It's on the internet, her family will never read it and chances are noone posting actually ever met the girl and their opinions are just based on what they've seen in the media.

Personally I think it's quite fair for people to criticise her regardless of whether she's alive or dead, after all she was famous for nothing and sold her death to the highest bidders, which is questionable at best. Everyone will bark "She did it to make money for her kids" but since they didn't know her, they certainly can't claim they're sure she had no ulterior motive.

Regardless, she was a self made public figure or "celebrity" and should be as open to criticisim or lambasting as condolences or sympathy.

If one side gets upset at what the other is saying, then step away from the keyboard, simple as that but in no way or form should people suddenly have to "respect" or change their opinion of someone such as Jade merely because she died.

We all didn't suddenly change our opinions of Liam Lawlor, after all.

With that being said, in the case of someone so controversial I'd imagine it'd be best just to delete/lock the threads on sight as it's just tacky.

It's bad she died young, but this sort of Katy French/Princess Di public
    outpouring is pure hypocrisy.

This sums up my view too, but it would appear that a lot of people want to discuss her or offer condolences. Not really my thing, but I'm not the sole arbiter of worth in AH, and the title of either thread gives me fair warning of what lies within.

You know, a really significant proportion of posts in those threads are from people deploring the publicity given to people like Jade Goody. It would seem that even the people who hate her like discussing her.

It doesn't affect me, to be quite honest, your shoddy moderation and attitude has turned that forum to shit so it's not really a loss that I can't post there and join in with all the "Omg let me try my hardest to be funny so I can get people to thank my post" shit and bleeding heart bullshit that populates it these days.
    You're crediting me with that?
    I am truly honoured.
    There are twice as many threads being generated now compared to when I started moderating there and it's all down to me. Yay me.

Yet again we have a thread complaining about the moderation in AH and yet again you're the one behind it, yet somehow nothing is ever done about it. Why is that? Why is your "I'm Terry, I can do what I like" attitude tolerated when you're the moderator of one of the biggest user-creating forums on this site?
    I can't answer that. You would have to direct that to someone higher up.

I personally do not believe that I can do what I want. I know that if I go too far that there will be consequences and I'm prepared to face them. I'm not really the type of person to throw their toys out of them pram if I don't get my way.
    Ok, so sometimes I might go off on a rant, but that's my way of dealing with the idiots who piss me off and there were plenty of them yesterday.
    I don't direct those rants at anyone in particular because that would be crossing a line and I don't want to do that.

Is it because people feel sympathy or pity you? I don't know, but I sure as hell haven't seen such an attitude tolerated in other fora.
    Maybe they do pity me.
    If shaking someone's hand and thanking them for the good work they have done is pity, then send more pity my way.

If an Admin or Community Manager posts on this thread or PMs me to tell me that I've done wrong and that I need to tone it down, then I'll tone it down.
    If not, I'll see you in the next feedback thread.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Rb the internet is not here so you can post anything and everything you want without repercussions, also boards.ie does not offer freedom of speech and nobody has tried to hide this.

I hate Jade Goody more then I care to say but I'm not even going to waste my time posting about how much I hate her as any further comments only add to keep her in the public eye which I don't want.

Fair enough Terry - at least you admit to actin' the bollix at times... more than can be said for some. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

Indeed I am.

That is, however, besides the point.

You know what.
    I've had enough of your snide, bitter comments.
    No Mod on this site should have to put up with having to read that kind of crap from anyone.
    Banned for a week.

Advertisement