Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Post Natal Depression

Options
  • 22-03-2009 6:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭

If you've had post natal depression, how long did it take to get over it, I know it can vary, and maybe there is no straightforward answer.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,420 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Can I move this to Parenting?

I get the impression that for some people it can be only a few months, others a few years. That said, some people with (other than post natal) depression will have depression for the rest of their lives, but that they can remain functional.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭Banrion

I think I had a version of it in the hospital after birth....as in I was weeping at everything. I was crying at everything and, looking back, I think the birth of my son was secondary to how I was feeling. I had had a c section so that compounded with breastfeeding difficulties proved very difficult.
    For me, once i was out of the hospital and home on my own turf I immediately became myself.
    However, like you pointed out yourself, there is no straightforward answer. A person very close to me had it for 2 years after her third and final child.
    Its a pretty horrible thing to live with but there is definitely help available if you talk to GP.
    Regards

• Registered Users Posts: 7,461 ✭✭✭Queen-Mise

TBH - I think I have had it in varying degrees since the birth of my last child 3 1/2 years ago.

it is beginning to lift now - but it is a very dangerous thing, talking and communicating with doctors/family is essential.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 988 ✭✭✭IsThatSo?

Ghost Girl wrote: »
    If you've had post natal depression, how long did it take to get over it, I know it can vary, and maybe there is no straightforward answer.

No straightforward answer I am afraid.

It doesn't necessarily begin right after birth either, it can take a few months to get going.

Your PHN should have given you a booklet about it and the signs to watch out for (she gave one to my husband and warned him to watch for it).

This might help if you are unsure if you have PND:

http://www.patient.co.uk/showdoc/40002172/

Go to your GP also, they are well set up for this and often watch for signs of it anyway.

Hope all goes well:)

• Registered Users Posts: 20,448 ✭✭✭✭joes girls

had it after my last ....dont know if it was cause he was not planned and at the time really didnt want more kids...had it for about 6 months.....but dont do what i did...tell someone close to ya dont try do everything yourself you dont have to be super mom...you need to take time for yourself and if you want a cry..well just cry nothing wrong with that...its hard, and sometimes so overwhelming.. but its life..i still have my days when i hate the word mammy.....everything will get easier...look after yourself.....:):)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭Ghost Girl

I suppose I should be more specific,

I'm on medication, and I'm feeling fine 99% of the time since going on the medication.

the post natal depression kicked in a week after the birth, and I left it four weeks before seeking help.

It was very frightening because my perception of post natal depression was very different to the reality. I'm very aware of depression and symptoms etc, but PND really was frightening.

Thing is i'm very very afraid of coming off the medication. My doctor will decide, it could be next month or the month after. I'm terrified it's not gone and when I come off the medication I could be back to where I was a few months ago.

So I suppose my question is how did coming off medication work for any of you??? And when did you know you were ok??

I think I got post natal depression because of the difficult pregnancy I had. The birth was fine and my child is wonderful, but the pregnancy was terrifying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 827 ✭✭✭lostinnappies

I had PND 6 months after the birth of my first son. I didnt know that you could get it so late after giving birth ... but there ya have it. Doctors wanted to put me on medication but I went for Acupuncture instead. I found it fantasic. It really REALLY helped.

It depends on every person how long it lasts ... if you do nothing about it, it may subside when hormones go back to normal (can take up to a year after the birth) or it can just have been the catalyst to normal depression. The only answer anyone can give really is to see your GP and explore all options.

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭MoonDancer

First I want to say I'm sorry you are going through this.
    My first child, I had PND it started about 2 months after birth, but I left it untreated and it got worse as time went on. 2 years later I concevied my 2nd child, & it went away, must have been the hormones that balanced themselves out again. It came back again a few weeks after the birth because I was breastfeeding I waited to start medication. I only had to do a short course, 6 months (short, according to doc) and it never came back.
    I think the most important thing is to make sure you have a lot of loving & supportive friends and family around. Your doctor will know when the time is right for you to come off the medicine & they won't take you off it too early.
    You will fly through it, so don't worry.

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭jeni

i suffered terrible - but am fine now a year later - but i didnt get it till baba was 6months - hang in there youll be fine - trust me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 298 ✭✭traceybere

I had it for just under 5 months - it was a horrible time and no matter who told me at the time it would go it didn't matter - it was a dark time and very scary - when I came off the tablets it slowly got better - but it does take time and work. I still remember the first day I knew I was getting better when by little girl squeezed my thumb and I felt something. It was like a mini surge of excitement.

I promise it will get better but it will take some time - I really hope this time moves fast for you :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭2SWEET

I got it when my first born was 5 months, looking back i'd probably had it since the birth but ignored it hoping that it would go away! I think the hardest part is admitting that you have it not just to yourself but to everyone else,especially your family! Once you have admitted it and have support around you it can only get better!! Don't be afraid to come off the medication, you can always go back on it if needs be, just take it a day at a time.

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭Ghost Girl

Hi all, thanks for response, I'm flying it now. Looking back at this post i really was still going through it, even though i was much improved. Worrying about coming off the medication was part of the depression! baby and mum are doing gr8. thanks.

Advertisement