Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jazz collage piece

Options
  • 22-03-2009 7:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,629 ✭✭✭

Okay, for about 4 years I've been toying around with ideas for a collage piece. I've kinda been obsessed with 1950's era jazz/swing/big band music, and all things showbizy from that era, since my Nan died because she was a big part of the Irish showband scene for most of her life.

I'm thinking of an old fashion microphone (the big silver things), possibly Frank Sinatra's star from the Hollywood walk of fame etc. Basically looking for a tattoo with a jazz era New York/Hollywood feel to it. Any suggestions on what else could go in are welcome!:)

I've narrowed it down to two artists that I think would do a great job with it. Wojt or Joe Myler. Next time I'm in Dublin, I'll call into Wojt to have a chat about it. I'll throw off an email to JMD since Waterford is awkward to get to from where I am.

What are the opinions on both artists here?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

That sounds pretty cool, what about maybe throwing in an instrument or two? A saxaphone or something like that could work well and compliment the microphone too

• Registered Users Posts: 2,629 ✭✭✭Adiboo

Yup, the saxophone is definitley going in there too. Twas the instrument my Nan played.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Diceicle

I like your idea of a jazz themed tattoo and for that reason I'd steer away from making the mike a central piece in your tattoo. That mike, while awesome, is a fairly standard tattoo image. Your jazz theme is something a little different so the consisting elements should be a little different too I think.
    Why not work in a portrait of Coltrane, Charlie Parker or Thelonious Monk?
    Maybe one of the jazz albums that has inspired you?
    A picture of your nan from her sax playing era?
    The logo from a famous jazz club, like the Parisian Room?
    Stick a bit of sheet music in there.
    Maybe throw in a jazz trumpet.

Wojt and JMD's are well thought of on here IMO. I would say though that if you do take any of my advice and decide to put in a portrait, maybe look at heading over to England as the quality of portrait tattooing is a good bit better than you'd get in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,629 ✭✭✭Adiboo

Diceicle wrote: »
    The logo from a famous jazz club, like the Parisian Room?

I was thinking maybe the logo from Radio City Music Hall in New York could be worked in. Whenever I think of old time showbiz, that's one of the images that comes to mind.

I think some George Gershwin sheet music would go well too.

Thanks for the suggestions!

Advertisement