Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Labour come out against ICTU public union strike on March 30th

Options
  • 22-03-2009 7:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭

http://www.rte.ie/news/2009/0322/gilmoree.html

It's a very interesting development. What have Labour seen in the pre-Budget revenue figures to cause them to publicly come out against the unions on this? I find this slightly worrying when the opposition aren't trying to make political hay out of public unions strikes..

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 986 ✭✭✭ateam

nesf wrote: »

It's a very interesting development. What have Labour seen in the pre-Budget revenue figures to cause them to publicly come out against the unions on this? I find this slightly worrying when the opposition aren't trying to make political hay out of public unions strikes..

I had to read the thread title twice to make sure of what I was reading! Surprisingly responsible from Labour. Cynically, they could see the anger that a national strike would cause on the rest of the country (the private sector parents etc) and are trying to cash in on that. I just don't know anymore with Labour, this has put the cat among the pigeons.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Well he states it in the piece. It's not good for the country. By using that well used "call upon" phrase he's bouncing it back at FF and giving the impression that Labour are both sensitive to our difficulties while attempting to throw a lifeline to the unions, a lifeline Cowen will and should ignore IMO. At this stage there are far more important issues to work out than whether we help public sector unions save face.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

ateam wrote: »
    I had to read the thread title twice to make sure of what I was reading! Surprisingly responsible from Labour. Cynically, they could see the anger that a national strike would cause on the rest of the country (the private sector parents etc) and are trying to cash in on that. I just don't know anymore with Labour, this has put the cat among the pigeons.

It's surprising but upon reflection, Labour are the most public sector union friendly of the big 3, so perhaps this is just them trying to play both sides on this as the poster above said.

It took me off guard though. I would not have predicted this, silence was about as close as I expected Gilmore to come to speaking out against tomorrow's protest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭The Raven.

The Labour leader has called on the Taoiseach to contact trade union leaders to ask them to call off strike action due to be held on 30 March.

Now I'm getting really confused. What's happing 'tomorrow' 23 March :confused:??

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

The Raven. wrote: »
    Now I'm getting really confused. What's happing 'tomorrow' 23 March :confused:??
    I'm guessing it was a mistake!

There's still no word from many unions as to whether they'll vote for strike or not (although I bet the CPSU will) and I know of at least one PS union which rejected it (Mandate I think).

• Advertisement

The Raven. wrote: »

Completely correct. Someone set my computer clock ahead by a week and I've been mixed up for the last two days. :pac:

*looks accusingly at his two year old kid*

Thread title fixed. :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

Probably doesn't want to alienate any potential new voters that have come over to the Labour side in the last while.

Probably doesn't want to alienate any potential new voters that have come over to the Labour side in the last while.

Trying to break the old image of "the Labour of the unions" while bringing the party more to the left? I can see the logic of that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

Well if they are to seriously challenge to be a majority party in a future government at some stage they'll have to break the image of being the unions party and become more 'mainstream'. How have they been moving the party more to the left lately? I must admit I don't follow Labour party developments closely but I hadn't heard of anything very different coming out recently?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,030 ✭✭✭Lockstep

nesf wrote: »
    It's surprising but upon reflection, Labour are the most public sector union friendly of the big 3, so perhaps this is just them trying to play both sides on this as the poster above said.

Yeah I was surprised as well, given how close Labour is to the unions.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 218 ✭✭Cronus333

Yeah I was surprised as well, given how close Labour is to the unions.
    Don't you have a labour youth logo in your signature?

Cronus333 wrote: »

The Youth Wings of parties aren't privy to the leadership strategising that is behind leader statements on issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,030 ✭✭✭Lockstep

Cronus333 wrote: »
    Yeah, so?

Advertisement