Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

RDF Advice

• 22-03-2009 7:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 611 ✭✭✭

I'm planning on joining the rdf (D Coy 62 infantry) in June after I finish my leaving cert but just looking for some info/advice.

Does anyone now a rough estimate of how long I'll be waiting until i'm fully sworn in etc.

Also, how long until I can actually go down and train, do I have to wait until I'm issued my dpm etc.

I'm heading away for three weeks about ten days after I finish my leaving, Would it be a good idea to apply within these ten days to eat up some of my waiting time or should I wait til I get back incase they try contact me?

Any info appreciated.
    Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,298 ✭✭✭martinr5232

Doubtfull they will recruit you in June.

Most units are getting ready for Camp and whatever coarses are being run.

But they might do your interview and send away for your security clearance.

Unfortunatly you will be waiting a while for your clearance to come back not the RDFs fault out of our hand but thats the way it is im afraid.

Each unit is differant as far as training recruits goes but go and talk to them and get the process started.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 923 ✭✭✭djtechnics1210

Try different units, medics, cav. artillery, mp etc, they might be looking to take on people.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

If you want in join now, they wont take you next mmonth let alone in June. You just need to get the paperwork sorted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 162 ✭✭irishmonkey

I'm in D Coy in 62nd.
    You're best bet is to hang on till Sept, there'll be no one around in June.
    Also, we have a ridiculous amount of potential recruits at the mo.

You come down for training every tuesday night after your first night down.
    Once you have all your paperwork in, it should take about 3-4 months before you get sworn in, get army number etc, and depending on what is avalable in the stores, another 2 months until you get issued with dpm's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 611 ✭✭✭Craigsy

Alright thanks for the info, think i'll wait til sept to join up.Can you go down and train even if you haven't been issued your dpm etc

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 162 ✭✭irishmonkey

Yep. There is a specific training programme for potential recs.
    Mostly footdrill, and a few other lessons.
    So you'll be able to march properly when you get your uniform... hopefully..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 611 ✭✭✭Craigsy

ok thanks for the info, one last question i promise, what do you wear until you get issued your dpm, will they tell you or do you just " wear something camo or green", i do have some dpm i wear for airsoft, brit dpm but no markings or flags

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭concussion

Craigsy wrote: »
    ok thanks for the info, one last question i promise, what do you wear until you get issued your dpm, will they tell you or do you just " wear something camo or green", i do have some dpm i wear for airsoft, brit dpm but no markings or flags

Just wear jeans and a hoody or whatever you feel comfortable in. Shave and look respectable, just because you don't have a uniform doesn't mean you should turn up looking like a bag of ham. Personally, I detest scobe tracksuits and would think that anyone turning up in military gear is a bit walty.

Best of luck, you should at least get your paperwork sent off, thus being the only recuit in September to have a uniform :D

Edit - bring a notebook and pen. And a spare pen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

I've made concussion's excellent thread on the subject a stickie this evening.

CLICK HERE.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 jackonmsn

when you join the rdf are you just lumped in with guys who know what there doing or how does that work

• Advertisement

jackonmsn wrote: »
    when you join the rdf are you just lumped in with guys who know what there doing or how does that work

If you join in early in September or October all the recruits will start together - the later you leave it the more you'll have to catch up.

concussion wrote: »
    If you join in early in September or October all the recruits will start together - the later you leave it the more you'll have to catch up.

thanks a lot bud, i wanna join the 65th in swords as soon as i finish my leaving, so i should hang on till sep. ? or will i go down earlier to show an intrest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

jackonmsn wrote: »
    thanks a lot bud, i wanna join the 65th in swords as soon as i finish my leaving, so i should hang on till sep. ? or will i go down earlier to show an intrest.

There is no point really in going down now, you may as well leave it until early in Sept. Going up now it would be highly unlikely your attestation period will even start until September.

There is no point really in going down now, you may as well leave it until early in Sept. Going up now it would be highly unlikely your attestation period will even start until September.

someone said in one of the posts that it takes 6 weeks before id get a medical though ?

Possibly. However, you also need to have your security clearance back from the Garda Vetting Office in order to be attested. The average for these is about 3 months so even if you go up tonight and get a medical tomorrow you'll still be waiting until July to be sworn in - there's no way you could complete Mod 1 of the recruit syllabus in time for Mod 2 full time training.

so i should still hang on until sep. before i go up to them you reckon ?

By all means go up to your local unit and see - there are three options to them
    1 - They're running the pre-recruit syllabus and will allow you to train. Not all units do this, especially this late and there's hardly any chance of going on recruit camp as you wont start your recruit syllabus until you're attested (in about 3 months)
    2 - They take your details, send away your paperwork, organise a medical and have you sworn in over the summer so you're ready to start training in September
    3 - They tell you to come back in September.

Maximise your chances of number 2 happening by turning up with all the required documents.

Advertisement