Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Travel options for South East Asia

• 22-03-2009 8:21pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,552 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

We've (couple) been traveling for quite a while now but just before we head for home we've found some time to take in South East Asia, wasn't pre-planned but we just got it into our heads lately.We will have about 8 weeks to take in SEA and are interested in checking out Thailand,Laos,Cambodia, possibly Nepal.

At this stage of our travels we feel we just want to do a tour and have as little responsibility as possible about having to arrange accommodation and travel and to do a GAP adventure type tour, maybe just get in the highlights.

I want to find out whether this is a worthwhile way of doing things, considering the vast amount of land we want to cover (we don't have a specific place we really want to see), the fact that we will be moving every few days, and the possibility of just being thrown on to a bus and visiting the real touristy places (something we're not really into, we prefer off the beaten track/countryside).

So does anyone have recommendations on what companies to use for this that will have similar age group (20s/30s), likeminded, and those with a bit of adventure, not too expensive etc....or am I just dreaming?

Flying from Melbourne so would like to be landing in Bangkok, should we book a tour when we get there?

Any links and stories would be a great help as all the tours I'v looked up are a bit overwhelming right now, hence you opinion needed

Hope this is all clear and makes sense!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,608 ✭✭✭breadmonkey

Hi Paddy,

Can't really help you out on the whole tour aspect as I haven't taken any myself but I thought I'd post just to recommend that you hit Nepal. I've mentioned it in a good few threads since I've been because it was just amazing.

Tours can easily be arranged in Kathmandu for a wide variety of activities. Having said that, I travelled independently and it was really hassle free for the most part. There's a lot of cultural stuff to take in as well as loads of outdoorsy stuff. We did a two week trek and it was probably the highlight of my rtw trip.

As an added bonus, it's insanely cheap. I averaged €15/day! Flights might be a bit of a pain as you'll most likely have to fly through Delhi or Calcutta but that's not a reason to be put off. Cracking country to end your trip imo!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,552 ✭✭✭paddylonglegs

Thanks Breadmonkey, Nepal was a maybe but seems we'll give it more of a consideration now. Having a look at Intrepid and GAP at the moment. Alternatively we could just follow the same track that their tours take and book the travel and accomm ourselves - but ugh, the hassle i'm feeling about that right now....maybe I should think about this stuff in the morning time when I'm not so tired!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭milkado

Intrepid seems good, this is a pretty good travelogue of a south east asian trip they offer: http://www.davechallenger.com/rsi-day51-bangkok.html (day 51 onwards!!). It's called indochina encompassed and travels through Thailand, Cambodia, Vietnam and Laos!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 359 ✭✭Arcee

I can't recommend these guys highly enough and i've been on a number of their south east asia tours and have travelled around the region a good bit.

http://www.geckosadventures.com/

You could easily see the highlights of Thailand, Laos and Cambodia in 8 weeks. In fact, I would recommend taking a tour through northern Thailand, Laos and Cambodia and then spending time in the islands of southern Thailand under your own steam.

I guess I like this company so much because I like travelling alone and on a small budget yet I want to see as much as possible at the same time. These tours tend to have solo travellers, young couples or small groups of friends on them and they are usually in their 20's and 30's. They also use basic but comfortable accomodation and transport so you're not slumming it but there is no unnecessary luxury either. Reasonable prices, small groups..... it all matches what I look for in a holiday.

TBH, I've talked about them so much on this forum people must think I work for them but I don't! I'm just a very happy customer :)

PM me if you want specifics on the tours I took or places I went to....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 rosied

Hi
    I done the Intrepid tour from Singapore to Bangkok - the reverse is also available!!
    I cant recommend it enough!they organise everything for you - all the accomodation is brill (given that it is SEA). Plus you have plenty of free time to do as you please as each place!
    Check it out on their web page www.intrepidtravel.com

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,552 ✭✭✭paddylonglegs

Thanks for the replies guys. We're still up in the air about this in terms of doing a tour or doing this ourselves. We could bite the bullet and possibly be spending more on a tour or could end saving if we did things ourselves.

Would anyone have an idea of daily budget speaking from experience?I'm sure budget differs in the different countries. Modest enough plans in terms of using public transport and budget accommodation, but would like to visit lots of attractions and carry out activities....

Advertisement