Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WaterCooling an S50

• 22-03-2009 8:42pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭

Hi Folks,

Currently trying to watercool this:

P1020838.JPG

Its working as a server and is a bit too toasty for my liking. It has three fans currently, about 20 degree's in and 40 degree's on the way out. I sort of need an all in one kit, but because of the small size I need water blocks with side connectors, like this:

stg-100-07.jpg

I was looking at the Vantec Stingray STG-100 but the CPU block comes out the top. I amn't sure if I'll have the clearance (The HD sits atop the CPU)

CPU specs: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pentium_4#Prescott

Main Specs: http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/quickPath.do?quickPathEntry=808621G

Any ideas?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 611 ✭✭✭requiem1

Okay well first things first do you have space in that case to mount a rad? if you're looking for an all in one kit the only one that I can/will advise is this. The fittings on the block are slightly side mounted so this will solve your problem of space.

If you want to go the DIY route, you'll have to get a normal block and some 90 degree fittings, however you probably won't have the space for a separate reservoir and pump.

Given its a pentium 4 I'm presuming its either a socket 775 or if older a socket 478. cause I couldn't get onto the specs. I know the swiftech supports S775 but not sure of the other one.

Honestly it doesn't look like the case will fit the rad without some modding, why not spend the money on buying a better case or a third party air cooler that is more efficient at cooling? you can pick up a artic cooler freezer pro for about €15

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

Thanks for the reply! Really great info and I'll keep doing the research
    Okay well first things first do you have space in that case to mount a rad

Probably not. Its a very tight squeeze. I'd be think about mounting the rad outside the box. It doesn't have to be pretty. Its under a stairs acting as a server but needs to be quiet, hence the water cooling.

Given its a pentium 4 I'm presuming its either a socket 775 or if older a socket 478. cause I couldn't get onto the specs. I know the swiftech supports S775 but not sure of the other one.

Its either a (Socket 478) or (LGA775). I'll need ti confirm however.
    buying a better case

Not really an option as I need small form factor however, if it comes to it! :)
    third party air cooler that is more efficient at cooling? you can pick up a artic cooler freezer pro for about €15

I really need to keep noise down to a minimum as its a server in a residential house. But again an option.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

might be no harm posting this or even moving this to the console modding forum as it looks about the same size inside as a 360, those guys have a fair bit of experience with small universal blocks and the likes.

Feel free to move it. The more input the better!

Anti wrote: »
    might be no harm posting this or even moving this to the console modding forum as it looks about the same size inside as a 360, those guys have a fair bit of experience with small universal blocks and the likes.

yeah but you might not get the repsonses from them, other options would be to buy the pump block combo from swiftech, a small external tube res and then a smaller rad like an 80mm one, I think you can get them on Vadim's website. I'll post back later if I have an ideas but could you please post up dimensions of the case and fan sizes etc.

Thanks,

req

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

Personally i think its going to be a really tough fit, especially as the hard drive sits over the cpu, there isn't going to be much room at all unless you start modding the case and cutting it to bits. Also the internal fans are only 60mm so you wont be able to mount internally or even use a rad mount from 60-80 as i dont think one exists like there is for a 80-120. I would also suggest putting everything into a new case, but thats not going to work as the motherboard is not a standard form factor.
    You could get a server 1u or 2u cooler (2u may not fit so check dimensions) You could replace the fans in the system with much quieter higher cfm models from sites such as :

pc-look.com - low profile AC cooler - http://www.pc-look.com/boutik/Prod_Arctic_Cooling_CPU-Heatsink-Fan-Kit-PWM-Freezer-7-LP-Low-Profile__19919_en.html
    quietpc.com - 60mm fans - http://www.quietpc.com/ie-en-eur/products/60mmfans (they go down to 40mm incase you need them that size)
    quietpc.com - very low profile cpu cooler - http://www.quietpc.com/ie-en-eur/products/intelcooling/shuriken

You could also add some sound proofing to it from queitpc.com too but it will raise the internal temp a bit. Also since its under the stairs im guessing there is no real air flow getting to it either, but you should notice a huge decrease in noise and head adding what i suggested above.

Hi Folks,

Thanks for all the reply's. I'd say I'm looking at air cooling for the moment, It isn't running overly hot (Case is at about 34C at the exhaust) but just want to keep it nice and cool.

Regards & Thanks!

34 degrees ain't bad at all, i'd take anti's advise if you're sticking with air and maybe just cut an extra blowhole for a 120mm fan and you're set. best of luck :D

Advertisement