Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Progress and ambition

Options
  • 22-03-2009 9:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭

Do we really get self-respect from progress and ambition? Or is there a conflict between what we are sold as the right thing and what we actually want? Is it really the noblest individuals who cause progress and 'achieve' in societies eyes?

Me personally, I've often felt it is simply not natural to be 'thrusting'. I only work to make a crust and notions of progress and ambition start to seem pompous relative to that. It's like a desire to let go in the face of the worlds awesomeness. Does anyone else have this inner conflict? Do you believe many people do? What's going on with me to cause such unrest?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,177 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

If progress and ambition are equated with material gain and conforming to a societal ideal, or a corporate personality then yes, its meaningless. However one can have the ambition to make the most of their talents and then progress. However they may not be rewarded and progress in society if they fail to conform to certain pre requisites, ie a very talented programmer may never become an exec because he/she doesn't conform to a given personality stereotype.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement