Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

forum gone to the dogs

Options
  • 22-03-2009 9:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 45

is it just me or is this forum gone to the dogs altogether a bit of banter and a forums locked or a poster is barred its like been in a bangkok prison.the activity on this forum has declined more and more and its easy to see why.it all started with separating the mma section which was a terrible idea.now your not allowed mention seminars which totally benefits anyone who would like to improve there abilities.and if your havin a laugh its locked its ridiculous just wonder what people think thats if this thread is allowed cos more than likely ill be banned and banished to bangkok.thats if there is anyone on because the forums like a morgue
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,621 ✭✭✭yomchi

Moved from Self Defence/Martial Arts

• Registered Users Posts: 4,621 ✭✭✭yomchi

geronimo1 wrote: »
    is it just me or is this forum gone to the dogs altogether a bit of banter and a forums locked or a poster is barred its like been in a bangkok prison.the activity on this forum has declined more and more and its easy to see why.it all started with separating the mma section which was a terrible idea.now your not allowed mention seminars which totally benefits anyone who would like to improve there abilities.and if your havin a laugh its locked its ridiculous just wonder what people think thats if this thread is allowed cos more than likely ill be banned and banished to bangkok.thats if there is anyone on because the forums like a morgue

1) Yes you are allowed mention seminars.

2) Threads will be locked that are irrelevant

Last 2 examples of threads being locked;
    1 - A discussion about defending yourself on the jacks and throwing sh1te -
    [URL="http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055517083"[/URL]

2 - Double speak and innuendo about Judo apparell and womens 'bits' - http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055501876

Bring it to feedback if your bored.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

MMA is not Self Defence.

We have a humour forum if you want laughs. If theres a need for off topic stuff, we can create an "off topic" thread like we have on other forums.

I dont want clubs spamming "seminar" announcements or training days into a discussion forum, on topic announcements can be kept to a thread if its relevant.

I dont really understand the Bangkok references.

DeV.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

I can see all locked threads and deleted threads too. Theres about half a dozen in total in the last 5 weeks roughly. I think you might find Bangkok prison slightly less tolerant.

DeV.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

6 locked threads in 5 weeks? It's amazing what passes for oppression these days.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 45 geronimo1

Jon wrote: »
    Moved from Self Defence/Martial Arts
    oh my god surprise surprise.i arrest my case.why has it been moved you were talking last week about no advertisements for seminars were you or were you not.would have been interesting to see peoples opinions but you know yourself no negative vibes are tolerated so i dont see your reasoning for moving the thread.you can bet your life theres a lot that agree with me by talking in the gym.

DeVore wrote: »
    MMA is not Self Defence.

We have a humour forum if you want laughs. If theres a need for off topic stuff, we can create an "off topic" thread like we have on other forums.

I dont want clubs spamming "seminar" announcements or training days into a discussion forum, on topic announcements can be kept to a thread if its relevant.

DeV.
    if an mma fighter cant use self defence god help the rest of us.i didnt specifally state it was all about laughs,i merely stated any opinions not appreciated are treated with banning will ensue.what happened to freedom of speech

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

what happened to freedom of speech

What makes you think there is freedom of speech on Boards.ie?

It's a privately owned website, you are a guest here, so you have to abide by the rules.

Parachute wrote: »
    What makes you think there is freedom of speech on Boards.ie?

It's a privately owned website, you are a guest here, so you have to abide by the rules.
    yes sir did you ever work in intel you sound like one of them yanks out there were a guest in intels home.

• Registered Users Posts: 46,106 ✭✭✭✭muffler

yes sir did you ever work in intel you sound like one of them yanks out there were a guest in intels home.
    You don't understand how this site works do you?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

In what way does what I said sound like one of them yanks out there? You haven't been to America much, have you?

And what does Intel have to do with this? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

geronimo1 there is no free speach you are allowed to post as long as you do so with in
    the site guidelines and the rules for each forum which may differ from forum to forum.

I suggest you read the rules for the forums you want to post in they are in the forums
    charther and that you read the newbiw faq which you can find here.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055461510

If you are an MMA fighter, then post about MMA in the MMA Forum... youo HAPPEN to be one of the people who crosses the divide, but not everyone does and there were multiple requests to split them to stop the rows.

Is it too much to ask that you post relevant topics in relevant forums?

DeV.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭jhegarty

If any forum has gone to the dogs it's this one :
    http://boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=240

Alright, thats not funny, you had me scanning for locked and deleted threads before the penny dropped. :p

DeV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭Nothingcompares

Ger makes a very valid and reasonable point, the SD and MA forum is no longer the hub of Irish discussion on martial arts like it used to be. There are multiple reasons for this. Some of the reasons are perhaps due to the division of the forum into two distinct parts (SD/MA and MMA) some are perhaps due to over zealous mods (there weren't many hard and fast rules in the SD MA forum until quite recently (excluding site wide rules)).

I was one of the first people some years ago who called for the forum to be split because there were too many repetitive discussions that weren't discussions. However, I've since discovered that the fundamental disagreements were often the source of all interesting debate (even if they did end badly, or get dragged off topic, or eventually become tedious).

Of course, I'm not asking for the fora to be stuck together again. I think the moment has gone and almost everything that needs to be said has already been said :).

You can look at the number of threads locked etc. and say statistically there has been no mod heavy handedeness (well, in fairness there hasn't really) but the previous way was to just let the silly threads run themselves out. Locking threads ruins the "buzz" so to speak and people don't think they can have a laugh (what's the point in reading a web forum if it isn't funny some of the time) or talk about the events they're running then what's the point in having the forum? So we can go back to the good old days when people wanted to talk about the Kenpo green belt syllabus and how to use a dragon claw attack to subdue an armed attacker?

The reason why the sa/ma forum was the best Irish forum on martial arts is aptly demonstrated by this thread. Thread starter makes a valid if emotive point, random people hop in to discuss completely different things because they feel the need to express their love for boards (in the sd/ma case it was a particular martial art) that shines in their hearts.

Discussion is being stifled, but it's not really important because it's over anyway. But maybe some new people would post more if...

Ger makes a very valid and reasonable point, the SD and MA forum is no longer the hub of Irish discussion on martial arts like it used to be. There are multiple reasons for this. Some of the reasons are perhaps due to the division of the forum into two distinct parts (SD/MA and MMA) some are perhaps due to over zealous mods (there weren't many hard and fast rules in the SD MA forum until quite recently (excluding site wide rules)).

I was one of the first people some years ago who called for the forum to be split because there were too many repetitive discussions that weren't discussions. However, I've since discovered that the fundamental disagreements were often the source of all interesting debate (even if they did end badly, or get dragged off topic, or eventually become tedious).

Of course, I'm not asking for the fora to be stuck together again. I think the moment has gone and almost everything that needs to be said has already been said :).

You can look at the number of threads locked etc. and say statistically there has been no mod heavy handedeness (well, in fairness there hasn't really) but the previous way was to just let the silly threads run themselves out. Locking threads ruins the "buzz" so to speak and people don't think they can have a laugh (what's the point in reading a web forum if it isn't funny some of the time) or talk about the events they're running then what's the point in having the forum? So we can go back to the good old days when people wanted to talk about the Kenpo green belt syllabus and how to use a dragon claw attack to subdue an armed attacker?

The reason why the sa/ma forum was the best Irish forum on martial arts is aptly demonstrated by this thread. Thread starter makes a valid if emotive point, random people hop in to discuss completely different things because they feel the need to express their love for boards (in the sd/ma case it was a particular martial art) that shines in their hearts.

Discussion is being stifled, but it's not really important because it's over anyway. But maybe some new people would post more if...
    hear hear kevin my sentiments exactly

Its a hard balance to find, some people like that sort of "chaotic" forum while others find it very annoying to have topics about real issues dragged off topic by the "usual bunch of messers"... I appreciate that its fun to have a bit of craic in your "home" forum but truth be told, its meant to be for everyone.

I take your point though and I'll give it some general thought (as opposed to specifically about the SD/MA forum).

DeV.

Its a hard balance to find, some people like that sort of "chaotic" forum while others find it very annoying to have topics about real issues dragged off topic by the "usual bunch of messers"... I appreciate that its fun to have a bit of craic in your "home" forum but truth be told, its meant to be for everyone.

I take your point though and I'll give it some general thought (as opposed to specifically about the SD/MA forum).

DeV.
    fair play dev i know i went a bit silly but its been nigglin me for weeks and weeks

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

oh my god surprise surprise.i arrest my case.why has it been moved you were talking last week about no advertisements for seminars were you or were you not.would have been interesting to see peoples opinions but you know yourself no negative vibes are tolerated so i dont see your reasoning for moving the thread.you can bet your life theres a lot that agree with me by talking in the gym.

I really can't take anything you say seriously after that.:pac:

• Advertisement

Fad wrote: »
    I really can't talk anything you say seriously after that.:pac:
    poor grammar alright but mistakes happen ie read your own above rest my case apologies

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

poor grammar alright but mistakes happen ie read your own above rest my case apologies

Relax man :)

(Talk was obviously intentional :p, but now that you've seen it, its gone :D)

• Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭Judomad

MMA is not Self Defence.

DeV.

I think u misread the name of this forum, it is Self Defense and "insert name here" and if you knew the meaning to the 3 letters MMA you would know it is Mixed "insert same name as 2nd part of forum name here" so why would you say something rediculous like that, i think Geronimo1 has a valid point, he wants to post here and any non army like yes sir no sirs are not tollerated, why would somebody post in a forum they cant speak there mind without someone mouthing at them just because its there opinion, i stand by Geronimo1 so far and think you guys are ganging up on him, most of the people who have questioned him are moderators or other forums...disgraceful behaviour ganging up on one sole member so i stand behind that sole member and support his beliefs that this forum has gone to pure Shiote..........

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,258 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

There are multiple reasons for this. Some of the reasons are perhaps due to the division of the forum into two distinct parts (SD/MA and MMA)
    Which was a good thing, given that MMA dominated the SD/MA thread? Traditional MA was given a back seat and often belittled by those that claimed MMA was better? All those "My dog is bigger than your dog" threads?
    However, I've since discovered that the fundamental disagreements were often the source of all interesting debate (even if they did end badly, or get dragged off topic, or eventually become tedious).
    Yes, there was a lot of banter allowed, which would be expected in a martial arts forum. If you don't like the chest thumping, you just laugh it off, like water off a duck's back. Reminds me of those pre-fight meetings of two well know opponents that go nose-to-nose in front of the cameras yelling at each other, only to shake hands after the cams are turned off, all in good fun for the fans.

That logic makes no sense whatsoever Judo.

1. How am I "ganging up" on him. I love the way anyone who DOESNT agree with him (and you) are ganging up on him, while neatly ignoring that NothingCompares was agreeing with him, while I said I'd consider it, which I actively am.

2. You say "disgraceful behaviour ganging up on one sole member so i stand behind that sole member and support his beliefs"... so if everyone "ganged up" on someone who was arguing a racist point of view say, you'd support them? Cos thats what you are saying.

Trying making some cogent argument for your own point of view. You've made no argument whatsoever to even answer in your post.

DeV.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,258 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

Two good points indeed about the MA&SD forum, and its spin-off MMA forum. I've visited and posted to the original forum for almost 3 years, although not as much lately. There were occasional technique or equipment discussions that were useful, but then again, repetitive arguments that seem to cycle through every couple of months about which was better, traditional MA or MMA, which got boring.

Stickies should have been used more for the repetitive items, not new threads. Useful stickies of repetitive questions: Am I too old for MA? What MA would you recommend? What MA for a child? These repeat all too frequently, could be clustered into relevant categories informative to someone new to MA, and avoid the drag on the potential content issues of the forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭Judomad

That logic makes no sense whatsoever Judo.

1. How am I "ganging up" on him. I love the way anyone who DOESNT agree with him (and you) are ganging up on him, while neatly ignoring that NothingCompares was agreeing with him, while I said I'd consider it, which I actively am.

2. You say "disgraceful behaviour ganging up on one sole member so i stand behind that sole member and support his beliefs"... so if everyone "ganged up" on someone who was arguing a racist point of view say, you'd support them? Cos thats what you are saying.

Trying making some cogent argument for your own point of view. You've made no argument whatsoever to even answer in your post.

DeV.

1. id not seen that nothingcompares had replied as i replied to that post directly before readin all!!

2. Geronimo1 wasnt bein racist, i agree with what he is sayin which is why im agreein with him....

3. Did u work out the mystery word yet pal?

hear hear kevin my sentiments exactly
    What happened to anonymity on boards geronimo1? Why did you use his given name in this public forum? His profile does not reveal this.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,547 ✭✭✭Purple Lemons

I've just joined today and personally i love chaotic forums, the arguing and whatnot is entertaining to some degree. There seems to be a good mix here though, certain topics which allow you to go a bit off the matter and have a joke and then there's the topics which allow you to hold a proper conversation about 'said subject. So thumbs up for these forums from me...so far.

But what do i know, im just a kid :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭Nothingcompares

Dev - thanks for taking stuff on board. I'm not trying to throw the baby out with the bath water, I'm unusual in that I use multiple forums on the website while most people on SD/MA only use that one.

Purple lemons - you're right I think that's the beauty of the thing :)

BLue lagoon - that was another positive trait of the SD/MA almost everyone knew everyone one else or knew someone that knew someone else so there was a lot less muppetry that's usually associated with complete anonymity. That's not just because we all started off knowing each other but over the course of several years there were multiple opportunities to put faces to names.

Advertisement