Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Childhood Sweethearts- Do they last?

Options
  • 22-03-2009 9:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭

Sorry if this has been done to death, but my sister just said something to me that got me thinking- do "childhood sweethearts" last?

My sister is 16 and has been seeing her boyfriend for the last 6 months. During an arguement today about how she spends more time with him than she does studying (which was between her and dad but I stupidly got involved), she screamed that she can spend as much time as she likes with him because "I can repeat my leaving cert but I can't repeat my one true love. I'm going to marry him, so yous can both fcuk off!" She has had other bfs so it's not like she's just mad about him cos he's her first bf, although perhaps her first serious one.

Anyways I was just wondering if any TLLers are still with/had a long term relationship with their first boyfriend/first serious boyfriend/first male best friend etc?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Cmol

I know this is a little bit 'friend of a friend' but two girls I work with are both in their mid twenties, both still with their first boyfriends 10ish years later :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭Royal Seahawk

I'm 26 and my fiance is 24. I've been going out with her since she was 16.
    :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Well if you mean "last" as in into one's 20s/maybe early 30s, yes, I've heard of them.

Lasting beyond that though... haven't heard of it myself.

• Moderators Posts: 24,367 ✭✭✭✭ChewChew

My sister met her husband the night of her debs. He went with her as a blind date and literally only met him when he knocked on her door the day of the debs.

They are together 10 years and are now married 4 years and have 2 kids!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 570 ✭✭✭Salome

My brother has been with the same girl since he was 15 - married at 21 and they both turned 40 this year - 3 kids later.

I'm not saying it works for everyone though but they are as happy as they were when they were 15 and they've been through some hard times together.

Lucky I guess.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 996 ✭✭✭bnagrrl

Going out with my b/f since I was 17, I'm 25 now and we're getting married this summer.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,092 ✭✭✭✭beertons

My cousin is with her man since she was 15. She's 37 now, married with 3 kids. I think we have a photo of a family gathering when I was really young, and the two of them are beside me in our house. So yeah, sometimes they do last!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 818 ✭✭✭idontknowmyname

My sister was 17 when she got engaged to her boyfriend of 6 months (madness I know) but they got married when she was 21, that was almost 3 years ago, 21 month old and she's 7 months pregnant again.

My friend from college has been with her boyfriend almost 10 years, they're both 26- went to the same college then as well, they bought a house together last year- no ring on her finger yet but only a matter of time!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,635 ✭✭✭tribulus

I've been with my girlfriend seven years by the end of this year. I'd imagine a large percentage don't last but some certainly do*.

I think a lot of the time it comes down to when they finish college or change career etc. - just general growing up really. One or both either become too different to each other or else finally realise (or maybe finally *admit*) they were very different to begin with. The common example I've seen being that one person decides they want to spend a year travelling the world and seeing new places where as the other person has started their career and isn't willing to put it aside.

Of course often it just comes down to luck that two people who get together so young end up having the same direction in life but a large part of it is being genuinely suited to eachother and being able to grow into a healthy adult relationship together, which to be fair is no small feat given the amount of people considerably older in relationships that are still acting and saying things that you'd expect from a pair of fifteen year olds!

* That's not to say I think we've personally "lasted" with still so much ahead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 467 ✭✭aoibhebree

I don't think it happens very often, but it's definitely definitely possible.

I know someone who met her husband when she was 17, just started college. They got engaged that Christmas - just three months later! - despite major objections from both families, got married a year after that when she was still a student (he dropped out) and they're now in their mid-thirties, four kids, and extremely happy. I do think that this is an exception rather than the rule, but it proves that it's possible.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Jules

A certain 6th met Mrs 6th when he was like 15/16 and they are now married and have two kids some 18ish years later!

Sorry 6th if i got dates/ages wrong, but the point is right!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,160 ✭✭✭✭banshee_bones

My cousin met his current girlfriend when he was 17/18 they are still together 5 years later. Last family gathering i heard talk of houses and engagements so i guess yeah it does happen....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Know a couple that met at 17 or so, and now married with a kid in their mid thirties.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,626 ✭✭✭shezzie

no for me i broke up with my first boyfriend who was also my first serious boyfriend after four and a half years and an engagement later we finished when i was 20 young and nieve....doesnt work for everyone but i certainly wouldnt have spoken to my dad like your sis did and live to tell the tale....and at the end of it family are always there

• Registered Users Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭allandanyways

Huh! I didnt think I'd get so many "heck yes!" responeses! that's really cool that relationships can work out so well when so young. Personally I don't think the sister and her fella will last (mainly cos he's an attention seeking muppet, she'll get bored eventually, plus they're only 16, still going to underage discos and the like, they've a while to go yet me thinks...:rolleyes:)

I got with my OH when I was 17 *interruption, that reminds me of that song "When I was 17... I drank a very good beer"/interruption over*... ANYWAY yeah I'd just gone 17, halfway through 1st year in college and he was my 2nd serious boyfriend... I'm only 19 now but even still... I wouldnt be making house and garden plans just yet like my sister... Never know what's around the corner and all, but fairplay to all the couples who've made it so far from so young- some cool stories up there...:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

I often think about a childhood sweetheart .Also girls I use to go to school ,or hang out with and often wonder whom they married ( if at all ) and were they now live .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,160 ✭✭✭✭banshee_bones

Yeah i too think of my first boyfriend i had at 14/15 and i suppose at that age you do think it will work and naieve and all as we were we too had house/car/kids/house/pets/white-picket-fence thing all sussed out..
    oh god im cringeing just thinking about it!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭Sútalún

latchyco wrote: »
    and were they now live .

Careful now...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

My first love - I was 14 and all it was was a snog, nothing more came of it... but oh god I was smitten! Yeah, I think I'd like the grown-up version of him too... :o

• Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

Love the subject!

Started going out with my O/H when I was 17 she was 16. Had been going out with her for a week when we were 14/13. The second time we said we would treat it not to serious but it was not a casual sex relationship either just not to serious.

I am now 34 and married to her. I dont want to get much into stats. My oh was very tin when I met her. But she has developemt in the mens appreciation areas( chest and bum) so as well as growing to love her for what she is she has also physically matured to the perfect figure. Not that this matters but my friend notice and ar not afraid to say it, the sh1ts!!

I often tell her I am glad I got her when I did as somebody far better would have her now. She jokes and says "Who says they havent"

Child hood sweerhearts do exists but I think the trick is not to look for it just let it progress. Myself and the other half did not have sex till we were 19/18 so we really had no pressure in the relationship which I think helped it.

Kids are at a very difficult age 15 - 18 I dont think as parents you will steer them if they are set on a course I just hope mine are senseable enough to know that although they might spend the rest of their life together it would be far nicer to spend it with a little financial security a strong career brings.

But that said I could be homeless and pennyless and my feelings would not change for my other half so yes I think they can last!

When she was doing her leaving I was starting college so I would leave to study and so would she.

I think the maturity to handle a relationship at 16 is there the trick is just not to focus on it, go to fast or pressure to much

Even then its all about respect

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭emy-87

I starting going out with my boyfriend when we were just 17, were now 21 and still together, We are planning on moving in together in 2 years or so, and are very happy! together 5 years this August. That said, when we were doing our Leaving Cert, we were only allowed see each other once a week, so our studies were not affected. OP, I think childhood sweethearts do last in some cases, but your sisters studies should take precedence at least for 6th year. Hope that helps!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭sunnyjim

My parents kicked it off when they were teens, still going pretty strong over 35/36 years later.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭Peared

I'm another one with a story.

My sister met a fella when she was 16, first real boyfriend. She is now 35, married with two kids.

Not for me, that. Good lord no.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

My Aunt and Uncle are together 20 years, they have been together since she was 14 and he was 17/18.

So Ya, it can work.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,900 ✭✭✭Quality

I married my childhood sweetheart!!

We first met on the 30th of September 1995. We are now married with 3 kids... I love him more every day....

We have had our ups and downs and it was a rocky start. But we are more settled now.

I am 29, was just turned 16 when I met him, he is almost 4 years older than me. I am nearly half my life with him now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭Peared

Quality wrote: »
    I married my childhood sweetheart!!

We first met on the 30th of September 1995. We are now married with 3 kids... I love him more every day....

We have had our ups and downs and it was a rocky start. But we are more settled now.

I am 29, was just turned 16 when I met him, he is almost 4 years older than me. I am nearly half my life with him now.

Aw, and you make gorgeous babies together too :)

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Cosmo K

Got divorced from my 'childhood sweethart' six years ago, we met when we were both 16, stayed together for 13 years.........but it wasn't a happy ending.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,076 ✭✭✭hunter164

My Aunt and Uncle are together 20 years, they have been together since she was 14 and he was 17/18.

So Ya, it can work.
    Your Uncle was a bit of a perv :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

hunter164 wrote: »
    Your Uncle was a bit of a perv :pac:

By together I meant Married, so it's not really that bad. They got married when she was 20, so it was back 26/27 years ago, when that sort of thing was OK. and he had known her all his life.

Meh, It's OK for the time anyway!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭vanessamee

I hooked up with my husband when i was only 15, we dated for a year and broke up. i dated alot of other guys after that, he moved away for years and came back to Ireland in 2001 and we married in 2003 and have two fab little boys so faith dealt me my first love years after x:)

Advertisement