Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Graveyards in Stepaside/Glencullen/Kilternan areas

Options
  • 22-03-2009 10:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

All,
    I'm doing a wee bit of family research and I was wondering if anyone knows where the graveyards are around the Stepaside/Glencullen/Kilternan areas?

I know how to get to Johnnie Fox's Pub, which is a start.

Any information, names of graveyards or directions would be greatly appreciated.

jajasu

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

Dublin graveyards and burial grounds' by Vivien Igoe is an excellent book and includes directions and years the cemeteries were operational. Its in most libraries and is a good source for such research

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 jajasu

Thanks Delta, I'll try get that book

jajasu

• Registered Users Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭Geri Boyle

Glencullen graveyard is just beside Johnny Foxes in behind the church, and there is an old graveyard in Stepaside on Kilgobbin lane beside the ruins of kilgobbin church and high cross.. Hope that helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭Agent J

National Archives has a collection of books with the names and details of every grave stone in most of the Graveyard in the Dublin area as well as general information on them.

Someone started a project back in the 80s to catalogue the graveyards. They have about 10 volumes at this point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 987 ✭✭✭diverdriver

In Glencullen there is another older graveyard alongside the ruined church further down past the school. It is pretty overgrown. It's just past my sister's house. Don't disturb them:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

I had a picnic in the German graveyard in Enniskerry there recently. Very interesting place, worth checking out.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,554 ✭✭✭Pat Mustard

As far as I know, many graveyards are the responsibility of the local authorities. Each graveyard has a curator who is employed by the local authority as far as I know. Also, the curator should have a books of interments, sometimes known as 'grave books', with records going back as far as the turn of the 20th century and further. I've seen an extract from one once, and it had other details as well.

Parish records are separate, but also might be worth checking out with the local priest. Baptisms, weddings, funerals. These records might have useful details.

Advertisement