Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

RAM upgrade

• 22-03-2009 10:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,485 ✭✭✭

I asked this question under a different topic and have been advised to open a specific thread regarding it.

I want to upgrade PC RAM. This is the report from CrucialScan:

* Maximum Memory Capacity: 1048576 MB
    * Currently Installed Memory: 768 MB
    * Available Memory Slots: 2
    * Number of Banks: 4
    * Dual Channel Support: N.A.
    * CPU Manufacturer: AuthenticAMD
    * CPU Family: AMD Sempron(tm) 3000+ Model 10, Stepping 0
    * CPU Speed: 2000 MHz

Based upon this spec. what should the RAM be upgraded to and in one or two cards?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,593 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Yorky wrote: »
    I asked this question under a different topic and have been advised to open a specific thread regarding it.

I want to upgrade PC RAM. This is the report from CrucialScan:

* Maximum Memory Capacity: 1048576 MB
    * Currently Installed Memory: 768 MB
    * Available Memory Slots: 2
    * Number of Banks: 4
    * Dual Channel Support: N.A.
    * CPU Manufacturer: AuthenticAMD
    * CPU Family: AMD Sempron(tm) 3000+ Model 10, Stepping 0
    * CPU Speed: 2000 MHz

Based upon this spec. what should the RAM be upgraded to and in one or two cards?

Thanks in advance.

The only Sempron 3000 at 2GHz was the version on socket A. If that's the case then you have two memory channels, and old fashioned DDR1. Two sticks of 512 meg would give the max bandwidth. You seem to currently have 1 512 meg stick and 1 256 meg stick, so swap a 512 for the 256.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,485 ✭✭✭Yorky

I removed the two RAM cards to see what they comprised of, put them back in but the PC wouldn't boot up. The mesage was:
    Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt: \windows\system32\config\system. You can attempt to repair this file by starting Windows Set up using the original Setup CD-ROM

Windows XP Home came pre-installed on the PC so I don't have the original CD so took it to the local repair shop. They said Windows had been corrupted possibly by removing and replacing the RAM. They ran the Windows repair and, not wanting the same thing to happen again, I asked them to upgrade the RAM.They replaced the 256Mb RAM card with a 1GB card. The total RAM is now 1.37Gb as some of it is being used by the integrated graphics on the motherboard.

They charged €100: €50 for the Windows repair and €50 for the RAM. I thought it was expensive but was told the minimum charge for any repair is €90 but they'd reduced it to €50. Was this an above averagecharge in labour and for the RAM?

Would it be advisable to get a Windows CD - how easy is a repair to carry out? If so, where should I source it from and how much would it cost?

Thanks in advance.

Advertisement