Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Searching for sites like the first sticky but for Bass

Options
  • 22-03-2009 10:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭

Exactly what it says on the tin. Particularly looking for anything that will help the searing pain in my wrist

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,451 ✭✭✭Rigsby

Bubs101 wrote: »
    anything that will help the searing pain in my wrist

By this I assume you mean you need a site that shows good technique ? If so, check out the "Technique" section of www.talkbass.com

Another great all round bass instruction site (I think it deals with technique too) is www.studybass.com

There are lots of videos on bass technique on You Tube.

Out of curiosity, which wrist is painful, fretting or plucking hand ?

The best way of all to learn this is from a teacher. A few lessons is money well spent IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

Fretting, having said that this is the first day I've picked it up. Too cheap to pay for a teacher but I do have a good few friends who'd be willing to help

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,817 ✭✭✭✭Dord

Particularly looking for anything that will help the searing pain in my wrist

Go to a doctor. It shouldn't hurt to play bass, if it does you're over-exerting yourself or have pulled something.

I would recommend to go to a doctor first and then look into getting some bass lessons. A good teacher should be able to help you improve your playing position and posture so you won't have problems like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,451 ✭✭✭Rigsby

Fretting, having said that this is the first day I've picked it up. Too cheap to pay for a teacher but I do have a good few friends who'd be willing to help

The idea is to keep both wrists as straight as possible. On the fretting hand, keep the thumb in the centre of the back of the neck, roughly in line with your middle finger. Use one finger per fret (search this on you tube, there are lots about it there). This will all take a little time and patience, but better to get it right now and not have to back track later. Make sure to warm up first by gently stretching the hands (again there are lots of lessons on this on you tube ).

EDIT : I agree with Dord about seeing a doctor first, in case you make your wrist worse by continuing to play.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

Dord wrote: »
    Go to a doctor. It shouldn't hurt to play bass, if it does you're over-exerting yourself or have pulled something.

I would recommend to go to a doctor first and then look into getting some bass lessons. A good teacher should be able to help you improve your playing position and posture so you won't have problems like this.
    I totally agree with this! A few years ago I was working on the assembly line in a factory where I got myself a nasty case of RSI from the monotonous workstep that I was on. It crept up on me gradually until I realised one evening that my guitar playing had gone to shit because I wasn't able to hold chords properly. Long story short I had to stop playing for a couple of months to let everything sort itself out. Happily I'm fine now. The moral of the story is to look after your wrists, hands and fingers if you're a musician. As good as modern science is, you may not get a second chance if you knacker them badly enough.

• Advertisement
Advertisement