Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Work/Travel Visa to Australia

Options
  • 22-03-2009 10:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

Hi,

I was thinking about doing the work/holiday visa to australia on my own. I have read some of the older posts, and have a few more questions.

1. Where is the cheapest place to get this kind of Visa? USIT seem to be offering a deal for 500 euro to get sim card and bank account and all set up, but I suspect the flights may be expensive through them.

2. I have a bit of money put aside. How much money would I need to see the main siteseeing hotspots in Australia on my own? Has anyone done a roundtrip of Australia with a map?

3. I a little over a year exp in IT area. The maximum work is 6 months in one place. Would there be many employment opportunities there for such a short duration? 6 months in one place would probably be too long?

4. I have never been really out of Ireland on my own before. Is going alone advised ? :)

Thanks,

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

AmadanMor wrote: »
    Hi,
    1. Where is the cheapest place to get this kind of Visa? USIT seem to be offering a deal for 500 euro to get sim card and bank account and all set up, but I suspect the flights may be expensive through them.
    Dear god no, apply directly at the OZ gov site, only about 100euro or something ... all covered in the sticky
    http://www.immi.gov.au/visitors/working-holiday/
    3. I a little over a year exp in IT area. The maximum work is 6 months in one place. Would there be many employment opportunities there for such a short duration? 6 months in one place would probably be too long?
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055496201
    4. I have never been really out of Ireland on my own before. Is going alone advised ? :)
    100% Yes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 267 ✭✭esharknz

I hear bank accounts can be sorted out prior to arrival too. Try looking at the commonwealth bank, ANZ, National Australia Bank and westpac to see what they say.

I came to Ireland alone, and I'm still here! Best thing I ever did.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

You can open bank accounts overseas, I know ANZ can and I'm pretty sure Commonwealth can too

have a look at their websites

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭the dee

It's much cheaper and very straightforward to organise everything yourself.

The Australia flight centre in Dublin city centre (can't for the life of me remember the street name - I've been away too long but it's just off O'Connell St.) has got me a great deal both times I've flown to Australia. If you're in the area look it up.

Going by yourself will be one of the best things you'll ever do. You'll have a great time.

I wouldn't expect to get too many jobs in 'real' industries while you're here. But there are plenty of backpacker jobs about. eg: pubs and cafes, in hostels, door-to-door and street sales, call centres etc.

I managed 8 months on about €5000 in 2006, that's with working 3 months in Sydeny and 3 months in Brisbane. The exchange rate is much more in your favour now though, but that's just a rough guide to how much you might need.

Have fun!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,737 ✭✭✭horse7

have booked a trip to sydney 6 months ago,with quantas,via frankfurt,i had to change my plan and travel on to melbourne from sydney,and im wondering,as i shall be in transit will my luggage go straight to melbourne,on my melbourne flight,or will i have to retrive it,and go through customs/security/immigration control,and when i get to melbourne go through the same again.quantas only fly london to melbourne ,and i didnt want to use london as i found it very stressfull last time i went through it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,679 ✭✭✭Daithio

Never understood this whole "pay us and we'll sort you out with a sim card and a bank account". I mean how hard is it to find a phone shop and a bank when you land?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

These organisations play on people's fear of the unknown somewhat - the extra reassurance of having some things sorted before arrival is something some people are happy to pay for.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,403 ✭✭✭passive

horse7 wrote: »
    have booked a trip to sydney 6 months ago,with quantas,via frankfurt,i had to change my plan and travel on to melbourne from sydney,and im wondering,as i shall be in transit will my luggage go straight to melbourne,on my melbourne flight,or will i have to retrive it,and go through customs/security/immigration control,and when i get to melbourne go through the same again.quantas only fly london to melbourne ,and i didnt want to use london as i found it very stressfull last time i went through it.

Weird, I'm doing the same, expect I'm going via London... I'd imagine...a.....oh dear... I'm a gob****e. Yeah, I booked my connecting flight for 2 hours after I'm supposed to land in Sydney, but that doesn't factor in immigration or anything like that at all, so if I've to do that in Sydney, and not Melbourne, I should *probably* change my flights now...

anyone have a solid answer to this question? (also, when're you going?)

These organisations play on people's fear of the unknown somewhat - the extra reassurance of having some things sorted before arrival is something some people are happy to pay for.

Yeah, it is. But it's a much easier process than here if you do even a small amount of research! It took me an entire week walking around Cork trying to get the basics sorted (bank account and PPS number etc). No joke! Mainly just trying my luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭Mackman

passive wrote: »
    Weird, I'm doing the same, expect I'm going via London... I'd imagine...a.....oh dear... I'm a gob****e. Yeah, I booked my connecting flight for 2 hours after I'm supposed to land in Sydney, but that doesn't factor in immigration or anything like that at all, so if I've to do that in Sydney, and not Melbourne, I should *probably* change my flights now...

anyone have a solid answer to this question? (also, when're you going?)
    I havent done this, but i presume you would just go through to connecting flights in Sydney, and do the immigration in Melbourne. Because the immigration is the final thing you go through before stepping on oz soil. so if your bags are being sent through to Melbourne, i dont see th reason for you to go through immigration in Sydney.
    But to be on the safe side, id check it out. call/e-mail Australian immigration, they're really helpful

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭daftdave

• Registered Users Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭jackbhoy

Daithio wrote: »
    Never understood this whole "pay us and we'll sort you out with a sim card and a bank account". I mean how hard is it to find a phone shop and a bank when you land?

Its a total rip off, can't believe so many people fall for it. Go to any bank branch with your passport, fill in couple of simple forms and you'll have a functioning bank account within half and hour, with ATM card a few days later.
    You can buy a sim card in practically every shop in Australia, Vodafone one costs $2 in any Woolworths, 7-11 etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Jabomb

Just a question about flights,

I have just booked a one way flight to sydney (going on a WHV).
    Will they be awkward about this (insisting on having a return flight) in immigration in sydney or is it possible to talk my way out of it. Tell them that i intend on travelling to NZ after a few months and not sure when I'll be leaving there etc?

Whats the best/worst case scenario here guys?!

cheers!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭FreeAnd..

Will they be awkward about this (insisting on having a return flight) in immigration in sydney or is it possible to talk my way out of it. Tell them that i intend on travelling to NZ after a few months and not sure when I'll be leaving there etc?

Yes, They are really strict on this - I dont think they will allow you in...pity you wasted all that cash :( - but seriously its not an issue, supposedly once you have the funds for a ticket home that suffices although I have never heard of them checking that either...

Forget worrying about it because its a complete non issue - Nothing feels better than hopping on that one way flight :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭Mackman

Jabomb wrote: »
    Just a question about flights,

Whats the best/worst case scenario here guys?!

cheers!

I did the same thin, flew into perth on a one way ticket. i was fully prepared to make my case, i had a bank statement showing i had enough money to get a ticket out of oz etc. but they never even checked it.just scanned the passport and walked through.happy days:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭daftdave

same here but sydney

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

AmadanMor wrote: »
    Hi,

I was thinking about doing the work/holiday visa to australia on my own. I have read some of the older posts, and have a few more questions.

2. I have a bit of money put aside. How much money would I need to see the main siteseeing hotspots in Australia on my own? Has anyone done a roundtrip of Australia with a map?

Thanks,

I came to Australia 5 years ago on a working holiday on my own.....didnt know a sinner, I am now a permanent resident and love the place.

I have done a lot of traveling around Australia been nearly everywhere and I love the place.

You can buy a prepay Vodaphone simcard for $2 and walk into a bank and setup up an account in 10 mins....

Go for it mate!! you wont regret it

Don't know what the deal is with the working holiday visa (someone else would know how much these things cost/how to get them), but the bank account can be sorted out in advance online (the main banks are ANZ, National Australia Bank, Commonwealth Bank, Westpac etc). You just need to drop into a nominated bank branch when you arrive. Vodafone sim cards are easily picked up. You should be able to apply for your tax file number online after you enter the country too. I'd be really surprised if you don't save yourself a few hundred at least doing it yourself.

I came to Ireland on my own (well, I came with a friend who lasted 5 days before fleeing!) and am still here three years later. I'm marrying a lovely Irishman in three months, so you never know....

Advertisement