Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Random Questions

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

I should have stressed more that I meant rural and burbs really. I think the city work used to be better than it is - used to be more based on the US model, of starting v. early (7.30 - 8am) but out the door home at 5/5.30pm, but then they started leaning towards the British model, which is start early and leave late. :(

I wonder if some of it is because of the amount of work some of the aussie corporates do with offices in other countries. I have a cousin who works in IT in the city, and he works crazy hours but then he's director-level. Most of his crazy hours are because he ends up on conference calls with the support staff in India.

Rural and suburbs (depending how far out you are) still are very much "end of shift and you're out the door" - but then again that's because everything bloody closes out here early, so they have to make sure you get home on time!

Obviously your hours also depends on the work. I'm pretty sure the post offices are unionised in Victoria, so I can't see a postie working unpaid overtime. (I have a cousin works for Australia Post, but she's a counter dolly - I'm sure she's in a union.)

Dearie me. Thread edited to remove silly outburst by k974, and the rest of you go get your popcorn somewhere else. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

Here is a random question

Does anyone else hear of a clause stating they build up their holidays before taking them, ie you get 5 weeks a year but cant take them in the first year...

So you are employed in Jan then the following Jan have 5 weeks holidays. You get no time of in between?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

I've heard of that - never to an extreme like that though
    but you have to work your holidays in teh first year before taking them.

e.g. a friend of mine wants to take 4weeks of in April, he has only worked enough for 2 weeks, so he has to take 2 weeks hols, 2 weeks unpaid leave

but will get holidays later in the year too!

Zambia232, I know someone who had a clause like that in his first year on his job, but he works a commission-only sales job. I believe he was entitled to annual leave in year one, but he had to take it unpaid. After 12 months, the company calculates his annual leave salary by getting the average weekly commission he made in the previous year, and giving him that as a leave pay rate.

Is the clause you're referring do definitely 12 months with no leave, or is there a facility to take unpaid leave?

• Advertisement

Is the clause you're referring do definitely 12 months with no leave, or is there a facility to take unpaid leave?

Probably is but with consent of the employer. Yeap cant take leave for a year. Ouch theres a kick in the nads. Well there was nowhere I was planning on going :o

There is a lot more I cant go into, but was just curious to see had anyone ever heard of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭missannik

^ ^ ^ Since the introduction of Work Choices, that clause and similar clauses have become commonplace unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,196 ✭✭✭Crumble Froo

contract i signed the other week was to that effect. think there's something about taking time off pre-emptively, but ill look that up if it ever becomes relevant.

Luckily I get a fair amount of space between shifts.

It is a workplace agreement so its only in effect till December of this year.

Advertisement