Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Calf problems

• 23-03-2009 12:11am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭

I have a week old calf who will not suck at all. His mother has no milk even though her udder is huge, so when he was born I presumed she had load of milk. Im bottling him now but he will not take it at all, so I have resorted to tubing him. But I cant be at this for ever. Has anyone and ideas or comments that will help?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭snowman707

Bluemoney wrote: »
    I have a week old calf who will not suck at all. His mother has no milk even though her udder is huge, so when he was born I presumed she had load of milk. Im bottling him now but he will not take it at all, so I have resorted to tubing him. But I cant be at this for ever. Has anyone and ideas or comments that will help?

he has lost his suckling impulse due to not receiving food after birth, (can also happen after a difficult calving)

try offering something sweet, maybe try lectade or something similar for a turn or two,

Try putting brown sugar or glucose on the teat

Also give him a multi vitamin injection or sachets

we tube fed 1 calf for 3 weeks before we got him going, if he is hardy & strong you could leave him go hungry for up 36 hours, however watch for signs of dehydration

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭wiggy123

agree with snow!

had a similar problem,used chocolate, on ur finger--get the sucking reflexs back..
    give him a dose of growvite...10-20ml..similar to multi vitamin injection!
    b a boost to the calf...
    just keep at the calf--will get sucking! cow lackin vitamins-with no milk..

coming across that with my own cows+others! there calving wit little milk..think quailty of silage is poor compared to other years...low in sugar! as wet summer last yr!
    i am giving them maize+dairy nuts...also hav access to mineral licks...so are gettin it that way! still low in milk....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig

Bluemoney wrote: »

Vet can also supply an injection to help him regain suck. Keep getting colostrum into him to keep his intestine working. If it dries up he's a gonner.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭Bluemoney

Yes thanks everyone, Im going to try them ideas this evening. Ye I have giving him the vitamin injection and re-hydration tablets you can get. So I will keep at him.

Advertisement