Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

World's cheapest car goes on sale!

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

65 mph was the top speed mentioned in the Sunday Times review of it yesterday.

It takes 35.1 seconds to reach 60 mph :)

Ha buses are faster then that.

65mph? Cant see it doing that..... They must have been going down a hill with the wind behind them when they measured that lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭Nforce

I'd love one!!!:D.......

After i'd fitted a turbo'd Hayabusa engine in it. ;)

Something similar to this :cool:...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

Nforce wrote: »
    I'd love one!!!:D.......

After i'd fitted a turbo'd Hayabusa engine in it. ;)

Something similar to this :cool:...

Oh my god sir i owe you a pint for the way you just made me laugh!!!!

That is fooking AWESOME!!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

This is a Modern Austin Mini.

This similarities are unreal even down to the power. The mini helped most people in britain afford a family car, this is the exact same.

Even has tiny wheels in the very corners.

spot on car, its exactly what is needed, both in india and in 1st world cities.

Cant wait for the hyabusa version:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Volvoboy

I wouldnt mind one, :o think of the second hand values!!! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,065 ✭✭✭j@utis

I also read that it has only one wing mirror because it's cheaper that way :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,676 ✭✭✭mondeo

I could not drive that object.. Micky mouse would not even drive that. Imagine trying to get that thing up a hill.... You would be sticking your leg out to give it a boost. :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

j@utis wrote: »
    I also read that it has only one wing mirror
    Ferrari Testarossa comes to mind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,410 ✭✭✭positron

FAQ makes interesting read.

Did you know it has a spare wheel under the bonnet? And the battery is under driver's seat? And the engine is actually in the back?

http://tatanano.inservices.tatamotors.com/tatamotors/index.php?option=com_whynano&task=faq&Itemid=303

They seems to have cut pulled every tick in the book to make it this cheap!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 204 ✭✭h8red

Anyone know what the quality of the roads is like in India? I hope they're better than Irish in the sense that if you hit an Irish pothole in that: A) all the wheels fall off or B) it disappears forever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 300 ✭✭thethedev

Anan1 wrote: »
    I remember once hearing someone explain that the difference between a Lada and a Ferrari was nothing compared to the difference between a car and no car.;)

Agreed, I sometimes complain about my Ferrari and wish I had a proper car like a Lada.
    But then I remember what it was like walking everywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 761 ✭✭✭grahamo

enviro wrote: »
    India's Tata Motors will launch its extra-cheap 10 feet (3 metres) long Nano car in Mumbai on Monday, selling for 100,000 rupees or $1,979 (£1,366) OR 1449euro
    It will enable poorer citizens in developing countries to move to four wheels for the first time.
    The four-door five-seater car has a 33bhp, 624cc engine at the rear. It has no airbags, air conditioning, radio, or power steering.

_44347595_tata_car_416.jpg

I bet it would cost a lot more than 1449 euro in rip off ireland :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

grahamo wrote: »

Says somewhere in the thread 4495 or something...

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

grahamo wrote: »
    http://www.irishlinks.co.uk/vrt-vehicle-registration-tax.htm

Have a look at the sticky for VRT details :p

Then again with a trade in , cashback and 0% interest for the first 6 months it should be affordable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 189 ✭✭denat

positron wrote: »
    FAQ makes interesting read.

Did you know it has a spare wheel under the bonnet? And the battery is under driver's seat? And the engine is actually in the back?

http://tatanano.inservices.tatamotors.com/tatamotors/index.php?option=com_whynano&task=faq&Itemid=303

They seems to have cut pulled every tick in the book to make it this cheap!

Original VW Beetle had battery under back seat. Lots of similarities it seems. Wonder does the Nano have the fuel reserve of the old Beetle? They had no fuel guage but held a reserve of petrol that you could use by flicking a lever beside the clutch pedal, whnever you ran out!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

Considering some of the best selling cars in India were the Hindustan Ambassador (basically a 1956 Morris Oxford III, still in production today) and the Maruti 800 (a 1984 Suzuki Alto), it doesn't look all that bad. I was in a '92 Suzuki Alto (same thing as Maruti 800 - all Suzuki Altos sold here since about '87 or '88 have been built by Maruti in India BTW) a few years ago and it was most certainly the most awful yoke I have ever been in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,410 ✭✭✭positron

Considering some of the best selling cars in India were the Hindustan Ambassador (basically a 1956 Morris Oxford III, still in production today) and the Maruti 800 (a 1984 Suzuki Alto), it doesn't look all that bad.

Ambassador is hardly selling well in India since all the new models have come in last 10-15 years. There's are plenty of them on the road though, mostly taxis, but that's because people make a living out of them and will keep the going for ever.

The '800' is still doing okay because they are really cheap - about €3000 to €3500 for the base model. Other best selling cars are actually from Tata itself - called Indica - it was brought to UK market as Rover 'City Rover' which James May took out for a ride, his undercover reporting mission! While James May thought its rubbish (so did the UK market), its selling well in India, especially with with 1.6 diesel engine - again as Taxis.

With Nano, Tata is really tyring to convert all the existing three-wheel autoriskaw crowd to the moderate safety and comfort of four doors and four wheels - it might be sh*te but believe me, it will sell. The sheer size of the market is unimaginable..!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 173 ✭✭SAABMAN

What does "30% gradeability" mean? Is that the slope it can climb?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

Yes, unless it's some dodgy translation. And probably only in 1st gear :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Says somewhere in the thread 4495 or something...

Thats with the "extras" added in, ie stuff that mean you dont die instantly when you hit anythign bigger than a cat, and a better engine.

• Advertisement

denat wrote: »
    Original VW Beetle had battery under back seat. Lots of similarities it seems. Wonder does the Nano have the fuel reserve of the old Beetle? They had no fuel guage but held a reserve of petrol that you could use by flicking a lever beside the clutch pedal, whnever you ran out!
    Loved the way they used to drive the windscreen washer water , no pump, it was just just hooked up to the air in the spare tyre .

in fairness for a rear engined car the back seat wasn't the worst place for the battery

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,741 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

VRT on Cars up to 1400 cc is 22.5% of OMSP, (subject to a min. tax of 315 euro) so € 1775 here

VRT is based on CO2 emissions only these days and not on engine size anymore (see the VRT thread in the sticky). Your calculation is wrong anyway and you don't take VAT into account ;)

But anyway, the VRT calculation is pointless as the car can not be sold legally as it is in the EU. And the skeptic in me says Tata will never bother to get it up to the specs to legally sell it in the EU. Why bother when you can sell several million a year in India (and probably several more million a year in China too) :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 539 ✭✭✭but43r

By the way there is already 1 000 000 people who want to buy the car. So Tata is going to make a lottery where the 100 000 winners are going to win the right to buy that car... The winners will have to pay 80% deposit for the car and they are going to get it after a year or so... The lotto ticket cost about €5

The world is gone mad :D:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭Zube

positron wrote: »
    They seems to have pulled every tick in the book to make it this cheap!

Not quite. It's a four door, and a two door would have been simpler and even cheaper.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 124 ✭✭lego

4arc wrote: »
    i think this thread should be called "world's ugliest car goes on sale"

No , that'd be the Fiat Multipla, or Fiat Uglia as I prefer to call it.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/8/83/Fiat_Multipla_front_20070605.jpg

http://tapety.dziecionline.pl/data/media/231/Fiat_Multipla_2002_001.jpg

http://img.netcarshow.com/Fiat-Multipla_2002_1600x1200_wallpaper_01.jpg

http://img.netcarshow.com/Fiat-Multipla_2002_1600x1200_wallpaper_04.jpg

I'd like to know how the Tata Nano would fair with 4 people + luggage going up a hill. My guess is that it would probably explode or something.

Advertisement