Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Envisioning the Cloud - Google White Paper

Options
  • 23-03-2009 1:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 7,411 ✭✭✭

There are eight fundamental elements for “enabling” the cloud and realizing
    its full potential:
    Full connectivity

Open access

Reliability

Interoperability and user choice

Security

Privacy

Economic value

Sustainability

The irony of having there European HQ here! Yes google are investing big time in the cloud (with android to access it) and the reported maybe colored that way.

Some people may argue that the cloud is just hype, or too much in its infancy to be taken seriously at this time. But along with the world recession, we are also at the start of major technology shift. Where old business models in the TECH sector or no longer sustainable, companies and/or policy makers need to change direction.

Holding onto old methods and flogging dead practices will see countries and business get left behind. Our own incumbent monopolist is one prime example! Keeping onto "Dial-Up" and holding this countries development back.

It wasn't till organization was formed that we got some better access in Ireland. With the knowledge society that Ireland is reported to have, we could ride the wave of this technology shift or be left behind again to try play catch up with rest of the developing world.

If you would like to read the report Envisioning the Cloud: The Next Computing Paradigm.

Another report from IDC (sponsored by novell) which taken in connection with the above report, shows where the shift is going to happen. Where monopolist organizations and closed sourced companies will loose out if they keep pushing old business models.

Regards,
    J.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,411 ✭✭✭corkie

I'm resurfacing this thread because it ties into the discussion in
    a thread on the Politics > EU > Software Pact

Does anyone here think that the pact might be worth lobbying our EU representative when they come calling for votes?

Regards,
    John O Connell.
    CloudBooks.org

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

Why wait until they turn up, can't we just email them?

IrelandOffline has proven it self as a great lobbying group.

Plus some of the members here have contacts to TD's etc, the need to use e-mail campaigns etc. May not be necessary if some forward thing TD's, jumps on to this and get's the ball rolling.

The group has media contacts as well. So a well place phone call to chat show's or print media etc, could get it started.

Could a moderator start a poll (yes/no/un-decided)?

People on twitter and if you support this campaign, spread the word.

Regards,
    John O Connell
    CloudBooks.org

• Registered Users Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭crawler

the best description of cloud computing I have heard recently was when a friend of mine explained the entire concept to another friend who knew nothing about it and used "The Borg" from Star Trek to perfectly convey the concept....Drones (devices), collective (cloud) - I tihnk I need new friends :D

Interesting thing about cloud computing is that it drives broadband and broadband enables cloud computing - a bit like the way games drive processors and processors drive games....it's healthy...

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

No Borg Collective is having my data.

My coat's the one stuffed with 3.5" floppies. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭crawler

Watty, I think you would break the Borg if they assimilated you :D

crawler wrote: »

Interesting thing about cloud computing is that it drives broadband and broadband enables cloud computing
    Chicken and the egg? Which comes first?

"The Borg": Who are what are they in relation to Cloud Computing?

It works on so many different levels
    ....... the collective of Large company's etc? (top - down)
    ....... the collective of End users? (supply and demand, netbook users)

>>>>>>
    Someone has already mentioned an analogy to 'Star Trek:Borg' and before someone else brings up the 'matrix':
    I’ve come to think of cloud computing as a system of control. The reference to the line in “The Matrix” aside, there is a reason to discuss the role of systems and the notion of control in emerging IT infrastructure and services

Quote from gigaom.com: Cloud Computing a system of control

<<<<<<<

Regards,
    J.

..... Digital Development Plan - A national priority >>>> www.siliconrepublic.com

and

Digital 21: The Future Is Now >>>> www.digital21.ie
    Digital 21
    27th May 2009

Digital 21 is a campaign to highlight the imperative of creating an action programme to secure the digital infrastructure and services upon which the success of the economy depends.

Siliconrepublic.com has brought together the leaders of some of Ireland’s top technology companies in a partnership for action on the digital economy. These thought leaders will share their views on the core issues and components of a vibrant digital economy.

By sharing the thoughts of Ireland’s technology leaders, we hope to provoke discussion and stimulate debate around the key issues that will determine our future. As Ireland’s leading technology news service, we want to play our part by creating a constructive forum for discussing the digital economy. Through www.digital21.ie we hope to create a valuable forum for engagement with those interested in accelerating the development of Ireland’s digital economy.

Our aim is to work in a spirit of partnership with industry, Government, business media and all stakeholders to add impetus to the common effort which will be needed to succeed.

Opinions?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭bealtine

http://www.siliconrepublic.com/news/article/13057/comms/digital-development-plan-a-national-priority

http://www.digital21.ie/

An interesting development, which I think, closely echoes the vision that IrelandOffline seems to have for a possible future for Ireland.

Is this something that IoffL should get involved with or support?

bealtine wrote: »
    http://www.siliconrepublic.com/news/article/13057/comms/digital-development-plan-a-national-priority

An interesting development, which I think, closely echoes the vision that IrelandOffline seems to have for a possible future for Ireland.

posted about it here?

Just didn't see the need to start a new thread?
    Digital21 Supporters

* BT Ireland
    * Cisco
    * Data Electronics
    * Dell
    * HP
    * Intel
    * Magnet Networks
    * Microsoft
    * O2
    * Vodafone

Would IrelandOffline have conflicts of interest in getting involved?
    Giving support to there efforts maybe?
    The need to remain impartial?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Looks like their members Voda and O2 are writing their press releases. They most certainly count midband technologies as Broadband :(

Note some outrageous numbers

http://www.prlog.org/10089312-maximizing-fibre-utilization-using-wdm-systems.html
    The country cannot afford to rest on the laurels of its current 1.2 million broadband subscribers. It’s the quality of the connections that count and Ireland is behind the international norm when it comes to quality standards.

Broadband in Ireland today pivots around DSL copper-based connectivity and 3G broadband is gaining momentum as a means to get connected. In recent months, the Government invested in a €220m plan to move Ireland to 100pc broadband connectivity in rural areas via 3G networks.

It is not €220 and it is not 100% :(

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    Looks like their members Voda and O2 are writing their press releases.
    3G broadband is gaining momentum as a means to get connected. In recent months, the Government invested in a €220m plan to move Ireland to 100pc broadband connectivity in rural areas via 3G networks.

It is not €220 and it is not 100% :(

All told the total investment is €220, however the gov is only investing €79 mil. Perhaps that's where the "confusion" arose. 3G will never ever reach 100% coverage even if LTE finally arrives on our shores.

The only reason 3G is making inroads is because it's the only choice available in some areas, unlike in most other countries where 3G is making inroads too however it's only as an add on to a proper fixed line and predictable broadband service.

This circular argument reminds me of the old eircom argument that there was no demand for broadband in Ireland, unsurprising as they hadn't enabled any exchanges at the time. Here we have a similar style of argument, in reverse and equally as disingenuous...

bealtine wrote: »

Seems to me to be merely a marketing vehicle for the involved members.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Frankly any forward looking initiative will be a 'national recovery' scheme of sorts .

Advertisement