Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What was the greatest upset in mma?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭pierrot

I would have said Serra, nobody, nobody gave him a chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,632 ✭✭✭SuperWoody101

I will go with Kimbo Vs. Seth Petruzelli and all the s hit that happend after the fight.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,856 ✭✭✭Valmont

I'd have to go with Serra vs GSP, even looking back on it now I can't believe it happened! Although Randleman knocking out CroCop was insane too.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,599 ✭✭✭✭ShawnRaven

Brock Lesnar winning a heavyweight title less than six months after his debut in UFC. I really didn't see him beating Couture last year.

UFC alone:

Serra v GSP...... I watched that fight hoping Serra didn't get too badly hurt........

Forrest v Rampage/Shogun ......... Most people didn't expect this at all!

PRIDE:

Randleman v Mirko

Soku v Little Nog - I was stunned when I saw that

Soku v Arona - lightening strikes twice

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

Nice vid of various upsets here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BGH__yrP9lQ

• Registered Users Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭pablohoney87

If people remember pride theyed remember anderson silva getting teabagged and triangle choked by a guy with fewer wins than losses.
    This fight put anderson silva way back in people rankings after he was totted as the next big thing.
    Anderson silva vs Daiju Takase
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uCJcY_jel9k

Dragan wrote: »
    Nice vid of various upsets here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BGH__yrP9lQ

Thats the same vid that FrostyJack posted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭shenanigans1982

The most recent one that comes to mind is Evans' win over Liddell.

Nobody had him picked to win, never mind put him out cold.

The most recent one that comes to mind is Evans' win over Liddell.

Nobody had him picked to win, never mind put him out cold.

Not just saying this but I had Evans to win, I even won money on that fight.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 253 ✭✭_oveless

Liddell had lost 2 of his last 3 fights going into that one, and the unbeaten Evans was on the up and up. Hardly an upset really. Serra over St. Pierre is probably the no 1 upset, it just didn't seem possible that he could win. But then, that year had quite a few upsets didn't it?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Pride Fighter

Daijiro Matsui v Jose Pele Landis was a huge shock to me. Moreso than any fight I ever saw.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

Thats the same vid that FrostyJack posted.

D'oh! My bad.

I think Gonzaga KOing CroCop was very much a shock at the time. CroCop hadn't quite started his descent at the time, that was more the start of it. And in THAT fashion? You know it caused a shock.

Arona beating Wandy was a bit of a shock ( in the 2005 Middleweight GP ) i sure as hell didn't expect it myself.

I also don't give a **** what anybody says....Fedor beating Big Nog the first time was a shock. It's easy to look back now and restrospectively say "Nog losts to Fedor" but at the time Nog was the man, considered the most dangerous and talented heavyweight on the planet.

Oh yeah, and Aurelio tapping Gomi. Crazy.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭DRakE

Kane vs Tim Sylvia

• Registered Users Posts: 607 ✭✭✭cmb.

schembri v saku (pride - dont remember which one off hand)

zinoviev v sperry (battlecade/extreme fighting)

randy v belfort 1 (ufc 15)

pulver v bj 1 (ufc 35?)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,594 ✭✭✭Fozzy

I know it's not considered an upset looking back now, but Royce Gracie winning at UFC 1 was a major upset at the time to the audience

Dong Sik Yoon beating Melvin Manhoef on the undercard of the K1 show that Brock Lesnar debuted on was great. The Donger was 0-4 going into the fight, I think. And he was losing the fight too, if I'm remembering it right

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

Fozzy wrote: »
    I know it's not considered an upset looking back now, but Royce Gracie winning at UFC 1 was a major upset at the time to the audience

Very good point and the brackets of the tournment were setup that way too. It totally turned Americas understanding of what a tough man was on it's head.

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭deepriver

Fozzy wrote: »

to the audience maybe... but didnt the gracie family create the tournament knowing their system was superior to the other disciplines competing?

biggest upset for me (personally speaking) Frank Mir v's Brock... I actually was ****t*ng myself watching it, I thought he was going to get seriously injured against that monster / unknown quantity

• Registered Users Posts: 14,610 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Akebono defeating Nobuaki Kakuda at K1 WORLD GP 2005 in Seoul

That was his only win in 12 matches..His record is 1-12 now

• Registered Users Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭Kent Brockman

Wasn't Joe Lauzon pretty much unknown when he beat Jens Pulver, who was probably at or near his peak at the time?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭Andrew H

For me it was Randy Couture taking the Heavyweight belt from Tim Sylvia in the UFC. Sylvia had a great string of knock outs and Randy had lost to Chuck Liddell a couple of times. Just proves you can never take the natural for granted :)

Advertisement