Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hawaiian-Irish Cultural exchange?

Options
  • 23-03-2009 3:25am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

Aloha. a travel contact advising me on our upcoming visit to Ireland suggested I post this information on boards.ie-but Iʻm not sure I have picked the best category/forum, but canʻt seem locate anything more "culture" related. We welcome inquires/suggestions etc and encourage that if you know of a possible contact that would be interested in setting up an informal exchange during our visit (itinerary info at bottom), that you please forward the information along. THANK YOU!

(coaching on how to use a site like this also appreciated-I donʻt understand the options very well...a first timer to such things)

We are looking for contacts for possible cultural exchange opportunities with Irish schools or groups. We are discovering that the struggles of Irish and Hawaiian people & history have some remarkable similarities, especially related to teh effects of colonialism and native culture & language. We hope to find ways to learn and share as we are very involved in cultural preservation here in Hawaii and try to make these kinds of connections everywhere we go.

We are looking for any chances to learn more about Irish heritage, cultural identity, historical struggles and such. A conference in Waterford-"Re-imaging Identity: New Directions in Post Colonial Studies" is the event bringing us to Ireland. My husband is an author and Professor of Hawaiian History at the University of Hawaii, and his student-a recent PhD- is presenting a paper at the conference. Both men also happen to be renowned Hawaiian musicians/recording artists, Hawaiian speakers, storytellers, & cultural activists.
    They would welcome opportunities (big or small) to learn about Irish culture and sharing ours.

They frequently do very interesting presentations (separately or together) combining Hawaiian music (and hula) with stories on history, culture, native language preservation and current Hawaiian issues. We have set up such exchanges (at the UH Center for Hawaiian Studies) where they share this kind of information with visiting cultural groups who share similarly with us, from all over the world-China, Polynesia, Europe, Native Americans etc.The value of bringing together different people who share the value and do the work of cultural preservation and empowering self identity is immeasurable in its inspiration and deep lasting connections.

Contact if interested via PM

OPEN TIMES/LOCATIONS IN OUR APPROXIMATE INTINERAY: MAY 2009
    (conference at WIT 6-8 May)
    8 May Kilkenny
    9 May Midlands area-flexible
    10-12 May Sligo area
    13 May Galway area
    14-16 May Dingle area
    17 not sure where, need to end up near SNN airport for 18th, early morning departure

Advertisement