Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

€500 to spend to play Total War, self build or Dell?

Options
  • 23-03-2009 5:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭

Out of the loop a while now (my last build was a 6600gt gfx card).

Leftover I have:
    a really good quality PSU 400w.
    a case
    hard drives

So i need:
    at least a 21" monitor (that I can plug my xbox360 and PC into).
    mobo
    ram
    cpu
    graphics card

From reading around the threads here it looks like:
    mobo - €80 will do the job
    ram - €50 for some corsair
    CPU - €80 for an E5200 Intel
    Graphics card - Have no clue here. What should i be paying to get recent games playing well? My benchmark would be Empire Total War.

Also on the monitor issue, its important i can plug the pc and 360 into it, am i just better off getting a 22" TV since i think my xbox only has component out (no HDMI)? Not sure if there is a converter for this. What are TVs like for playing high res dependent games like strategy stuff?

From fishing around on Dell i'm tempted to abandon the self-build idea altogether and just get a base package with the largest monitor and add a graphics card. Something like this Inspiron 530. That way i wouldn't have to worry about building, missing cables, and a DIY looking job (the case i have left is pretty crappy).

thanks in advance for any help.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭uberpixie

quarryman wrote: »
    Out of the loop a while now (my last build was a 6600gt gfx card).

Leftover I have:
    a really good quality PSU 400w.
    a case
    hard drives

So i need:
    at least a 21" monitor (that I can plug my xbox360 and PC into).
    mobo
    ram
    cpu
    graphics card

From reading around the threads here it looks like:
    mobo - €80 will do the job
    ram - €50 for some corsair
    CPU - €80 for an E5200 Intel
    Graphics card - Have no clue here. What should i be paying to get recent games playing well? My benchmark would be Empire Total War.

Also on the monitor issue, its important i can plug the pc and 360 into it, am i just better off getting a 22" TV since i think my xbox only has component out (no HDMI)? Not sure if there is a converter for this. What are TVs like for playing high res dependent games like strategy stuff?

From fishing around on Dell i'm tempted to abandon the self-build idea altogether and just get a base package with the largest monitor and add a graphics card. Something like this Inspiron 530. That way i wouldn't have to worry about building, missing cables, and a DIY looking job (the case i have left is pretty crappy).

If you fancy dell job fair enough: just bear in mind they will always shaft you on the psu.

Now if your spare PSU will fit into a dell..... then you are on to a winner.

You could easily get the cheap dell with a monitor, pop in your PSU then choose a gfx card. (thsi will prob work out cheaper than a self build)

Now Dell sometimes use non standard PSUs and motherboards, it varies from model to model. It would be a good idea to check up on this before buying. Nose about Dell forums etc... should give you an idea.

€500 for a self build would be a little tight if you include the monitor. If you have a really crap case: expand your budget by €130 and pickup an Antec P182.
    (very plain case, but fantastic layout and built for airflow and silence in mind, makes a big difference to the noise levels.)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭magick

personally id go for the self build, but thats just me, but u can tailor it to ur needs, at least thats what i did, and it plays total war fine

• Closed Accounts Posts: 852 ✭✭✭blackgold>>

450 delivered.
    hardwareversand.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

Not 100% sure but from previous form I can't think of a Dell for under €800 that will have anything better than integrated graphics :eek: The basic Inspirons overcharge so badly that for €500 you'd only be getting the E5200 and a half-assed case and mobo if you're lucky; you'd still have to buy and install RAM and graphics yourself (if Dell haven't been gits and removed the PCIe slot from the mobo that is! :rolleyes: ).

EDIT: interrupted by lunch :P And HWVS seems slow today. And my typing sucks.

blackgold: Err, graphics card? :P

E5200 €61.51
    MSI P43 Neo-F €64.05
    2x2GB GeIL PC6400 CL5 €35.52
    XFX HD4830 (with shroud!) €89.01 (the Sapphire one is also good, neat p-states for energy saving, and their HD4850 is only €133)
    Coolermaster Elite 330 (without side window) €30.49 (get a second 120mm fan if you want)
    LG Flatron W2242T-DF 22" €144.30 (has DVI input)
    Say ~€455 incl shipping, €500 if you get the HD4850. And that's with a shiny new case. I assume you have a DVD drive left over?

And as for the Xbox IIRC you'll need a proprietary cable to convert to VGA or DVI.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Lu Tze

quarryman wrote: »
    Something like this Inspiron 530. That way i wouldn't have to worry about building, missing cables, and a DIY looking job (the case i have left is pretty crappy).

How about buying from dell outlet

[SIZE=-1]Studio Desktop 540 (System Identifier. 09ELCA0J)[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=-1]Studio Desktop 540MT Intel Core 2 Duo E7300 (2.66GHz, 1066MHz, 3MB) [/SIZE]

[SIZE=-1]English Windows Vista Home Premium [/SIZE]
    System Price EUR 409.49
    [SIZE=-1]Operating System: [/SIZE][SIZE=-1]English Windows Vista Home Premium [/SIZE]
    [SIZE=-1]Memory: [/SIZE][SIZE=-1]2048MB 800MHZ (2X1GB) Memory [/SIZE]
    [SIZE=-1]Hard Disk Drive: [/SIZE][SIZE=-1]500GB 7200rpm SATA HD [/SIZE]
    [SIZE=-1]Video: [/SIZE][SIZE=-1]Graphics 256 MB ATI Radeon HD 3450 [/SIZE]
    [SIZE=-1]CD Read-Write Drive: [/SIZE][SIZE=-1]DVD+/-RW, 16 [/SIZE]
    [SIZE=-1]MISC: [/SIZE][SIZE=-1]Vista OnLine Getting Started Guide [/SIZE]
    [SIZE=-1]Dell Quietkey Black Keyboard [/SIZE]
    [SIZE=-1]Ship Accessory English Docs with UK/Irish Power Cord [/SIZE]
    [SIZE=-1]Mouse Dell Wheel USB 2 Button Scroll Black [/SIZE]

€409 for the above, and they have a special of €123 off until the 26th of march making it €286 before shipping - no monitor though but you should have enough left over from your €500 to get something

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Tricky budget to include a decent sized monitor but here's what I'd go for for around the 500 quid mark. Notice I added a Case, as if your current case is crap like you've implied it'd be a real shame to use it for a new build.

The system above in the Outlet needs a monitor, and most definitely a new video card, as well as more ram - at the end of it all, it'd work out at the same price but still be a Dell at the end of the day to boot. Self build is the way forward if you're comfortable with it.

Also should mention I always use Komplett as some people don't like purchasing abroad, so this gives them a rough idea as well as an Irish source.

pc550.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 852 ✭✭✭blackgold>>

i had a gpu 4830 in there i must of forgot to delete the case....
    Ah well terror has nearly the same a me and it looks amazing for 522.
    **** dell.

**** dell

Amen :D

And thanks Terror, you beat me to it, always good to have a Komplett pricing :)

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Tricky budget to include a decent sized monitor but here's what I'd go for for around the 500 quid mark. Notice I added a Case, as if your current case is crap like you've implied it'd be a real shame to use it for a new build.

The system above in the Outlet needs a monitor, and most definitely a new video card, as well as more ram - at the end of it all, it'd work out at the same price but still be a Dell at the end of the day to boot. Self build is the way forward if you're comfortable with it.

Also should mention I always use Komplett as some people don't like purchasing abroad, so this gives them a rough idea as well as an Irish source.

pc550.jpg

That looks great but he'll be a little disappointed when he tries to turn it on and realises there is no psu. :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

That looks great but he'll be a little disappointed when he tries to turn it on and realises there is no psu. :p

He already has one as he said in his first post ;)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

He already has one as he said in his first post ;)
    Shut up. HA! That showed you.

*runs off*

• Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

Yes I'm PSU'd up :)

Thanks for the suggestions. Looks like i'll go with the self build.

So I think I'd be settled on:
    Intel 5200
    4GB RAM
    Asus Mobo

The 2 important choices are the monitor and gfx.

For the graphics people are saying 4830 and the 4850. Is there much difference between them? Are they the best mid-price options at the moment? I don't need to be cutting edge but I'd like to play most of the recent and upcoming games at decent resolutions. I'd like it to not break a sweat for anything up to 2 years old.

And the monitor is probably the most crucial item. I want to have a dual xbox and pc setup going into the same display. My 360 only has component so I might trade it in for a HDMI model. Then I think i'll run the PC through DVI and HDMI for the 360.

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭PaddyTheNth

I have a 512mb 4850 and it handles Total War with everything maxed without breaking a sweat. Bear in mind that I've only got a 17' 4:3 monitor though...1280*something resolution.

I'd go with the 4850 as I reckon it'll give a bit more life going forward, though I seem to remember that if you're looking to go larger than 22 inches the higher resolutions will be better handled by the 1GB version.

e: it also was running Far Cry 2 with almost everthing maxed (AA turned down IIRC) at well over 30 FPS on a 22' monitor, can't remember the res but it would have been similar to what you're looking at.

Basically if you need good 1650*1080 performance in most games and/or you're skint, get the HD4830. If you want great 1650*1080 performance in most games, can afford it or want good performance at 1920*1080 get the HD4850.

Bear in mind that the HD4830 and most newer HD4850s are highly overclcokable and said process is as easy as going into Catalyst Control Centre; not sure about all HD4850s but I know many sites have run the Sapphire Value one within a hair's breadth of HD4870 speeds. The HD4870 itself is just an overclocked and overvolted HD4850 with fancy new memory; as a result it has little overclocking headroom.

Unless you want to push the HD4850 hard the HD4870 is the best choice if you need great 1920*1080 performance. Until recently that resolution wasn't an option unless you got a cheap 24" or a very expensive 22" but as you can see from Terror's build that higher resolution is now becoming far more predominant. I don't see that as neccessarily a good thing; it forces you to pay more for a graphics card, ie. if thinking of a HD4830 you have to get a HD4850, 4870 instead of 4850 etc. Even a cheap HD4870 is going to stretch your budget a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

Great summary thanks.

Gone are the days when I would look up FPS charts and compare game performances. Layman's language is best now :)

Advertisement