Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"mini" greenhouse

Options
  • 23-03-2009 9:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭

Hi

Looking for one of those mini greenhouses that would sit on my decking - about 2 foot suare, four foot high with about three shelves in. Covered in plastic with a zip up the front

Hope that explains what I mean? Anyone seen any of these about for a decent price at the moment>?

Thanks

Jim

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭gsxr1

McNulty wrote: »
    Hi

Looking for one of those mini greenhouses that would sit on my decking - about 2 foot suare, four foot high with about three shelves in. Covered in plastic with a zip up the front

Hope that explains what I mean? Anyone seen any of these about for a decent price at the moment>?

Thanks

Jim

I got one in b&q. 4 tear cost 30euro and needs to be tied to something . You have to be careful with them

I put a propagator in mine filled with seedlings.

They cooked and died over the last good week we had. Steamed in there own water. Was steam coming out of the propagator.
    2 weeks wasted . I keep it a little open now to keep the heat down in it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

Argos sell them too, but as pointed out, they are fairly useless.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭bmaxi

Lidl and Aldi both had these over the last couple of weeks, Aldi also had a half decent cold frame.
    As regards cooking seedlings, no matter what you put them in whether it be one of these cheap models or the most expensive greenhouse on the market, if you don't take care with shading and ventilating in sunny conditions, they are going to cook. That's the whole point of greenhouses, to raise the temperature. The volume of these small units is such that the air inside would very quickly reach 50+ degrees C, lethal to most plants.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

bmaxi wrote: »
    Lidl and Aldi both had these over the last couple of weeks, Aldi also had a half decent cold frame.

If you can afford it, cold frames are much more effective solution & last a lot longer.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Dodser

I got a small lean to from Mr Middleton on Mary Street (they'll delivered) It's a little bigger than what you're looking for but it's also more rebust. Have a look.

http://www.mrmiddleton.com/shop/product.php?productid=790&cat=109&page=1

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 805 ✭✭✭suey71

i just got myself an alottment and saw small polly tunnels about 2 foot high and 8 foot long. would these not cook plants too.

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭generalmiaow

I have one of these and the temps frequently get to 30 degrees, and it's only April! However, the temperature is easily controlled with the zips.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,778 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Another thing you could try is a solar powered ventilation system. I bought one of these feckers for the car: http://www.asontv.com/automotive/auto-cool-solar-powered-fan.html?ref=gb&s_cid=104 but was total fail as the windows are tinted.

You could find a way to put that on it (or take it apart for the vital components: a computer-fan and a solar cell) - the more sun it gets the quicker it changes out the air. Help keep them from boiling in the afternoons but stop to let the greenhouse retain warmth at night.

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭generalmiaow

That's interesting Overheal - would I be right in thinking that such a device doesn't do any opening and closing, but that the light level just controls a fan? I'd say it would be handy, especially if calibrated with a potentiometer.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,778 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

youd be correct.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭Rented Mule

Dodser wrote: »
    I got a small lean to from Mr Middleton on Mary Street (they'll delivered) It's a little bigger than what you're looking for but it's also more rebust. Have a look.

http://www.mrmiddleton.com/shop/product.php?productid=790&cat=109&page=1

I bought the very same one.

Having a bit of trouble putting it together at the moment, as it was short on a few nuts and bolts.

Waiting to hear back from Mr Middleton as we speak.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,118 ✭✭✭John mac

That's interesting Overheal - would I be right in thinking that such a device doesn't do any opening and closing, but that the light level just controls a fan? I'd say it would be handy, especially if calibrated with a potentiometer.

make your own .
    here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 805 ✭✭✭suey71

Hi all. I bought 2 packets of fleece from the 2euro shop in the Blanch. Center. each is 6m by 1m. @2euro each. Also bought some lenghts of 2inch by 2 inch by 4 foot timber @2euro each from local builders merchant. I positioned the stakes about 4 foot away from each other in a square hammering them in about 1 foot. then wrapped the fleece around the frame. I put gardening wire around the top of the frame to hang the fleece on to make a roof and used small U nails to hold the fleece in place. The overlap can be used to reach in and tend the veg. the fleece allows the rain to get in and also stays warm but not as warm as a green house. And if you make a mistake,who cares it, only costs 10euro to make. I planted some tomatoe plants in mine and there doing well. All those hours watching McGuiver finally paid off:D.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,144 ✭✭✭✭Cicero

I purchased one of these literally one year ago- it's full of holes now - as the posts above say, its a bit if a false economy and the price at EUR70 is just not worth it for 1 year. I cut a window into it to provide air or otherwise it will rot/boil/roast what you have in there- the idea looks good but the design is desperate. Get a small propagator to nuture the seedlings and spend your money on a getting the plot right - I know it's not the same but that's what I would do given the chance again- saying that- the frame for this, while not the best, is still in original condition so I'll probably get some plastic covering to put over it, and keep it another year or so. Best of luck

http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/7201998/Trail/searchtext%3EGREENHOUSE.htm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,144 ✭✭✭✭Cicero

I have one of these and the temps frequently get to 30 degrees, and it's only April! However, the temperature is easily controlled with the zips.

I did that as well, until the cats in the area thought it was a nice little home:(

Advertisement