Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Descaling Taps/showerheads etc

• 23-03-2009 9:18am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 130 ✭✭

Hi

Loking for a bit of advice on this. Am having a whole house water system installed tomorrow and once fitted I would like to work on getting the limescale off/out of the showerheads and taps around the house as it's curretly affecting the flow of these.
    I was just wondering if anyone has done the same recently and if usual descaling solutions for kettles/irons work ok with this or if there is a better way of doing it?

Any ideas for taps - I can obviously unscrew showerheads etc and soak, but not sure how to do the taps?

Thanks
    Jim

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

I descaled a plastic shower head by immersing it in lemon juice overnight. It worked really well, but I don't know how it would work on a metal one - it might tarnish it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,135 ✭✭✭Moanin

Vinegar is good also but the water softner should eventually breakdown the limescale

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

Always use vinager on shower heads and around taps it works great. Make sure its not the malt(Brown) vin it stains the plastic

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 453 ✭✭Lobsterlady

Any ideas for taps - I can obviously unscrew showerheads etc and soak, but not sure how to do the taps?

Thanks
    Jim[/quote]

I saw this on that 'How clean is your house' program, you soak a piece of cloth in vinegar, and wrap it around the tap nozzle, then cover with a plastic bag secured with elastic and leave for ages. I don't know how effective this truly is, as the tv camera can lie.:eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,111 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

I saw this on that 'How clean is your house' program, you soak a piece of cloth in vinegar, and wrap it around the tap nozzle, then cover with a plastic bag secured with elastic and leave for ages. I don't know how effective this truly is, as the tv camera can lie.:eek:

That sounds like it would work a treat. Limescale is calcium carbonate. Any acid will dissolve it. I use white vinegar I buy in 4L containers. If It is a really heavy deposit I use limescale remover sold for toilets.

I use the vinegar in the dishwasher as rinse-aid.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,973 ✭✭✭IrishHomer

A chap from Triton Showers told me one time to leave out a container or 2 litre plastic bottle with top section cut off with a knife.

Fill it with white vinegar.

Once a week leave shower head steeping overnight in the container of white vinegar.

I did it ever since works perfect no problems since.

Another trick he told me was to always run the cold water before you switch off the shower. For some reason he said the warm water left lying in the hose and shower head is quickening the limescale process.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 453 ✭✭Lobsterlady

I use the vinegar in the dishwasher as rinse-aid.[/quote]

Diluted or as you buy it? Does it make your dishes smell? Sounds like a good tip if it doesn't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,111 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

I use the vinegar in the dishwasher as rinse-aid.

Diluted or as you buy it? Does it make your dishes smell? Sounds like a good tip if it doesn't.[/quote]

I use it straight but I think it could probably be diluted 50:50 and would still do the job. It doesn't make the dishes smell. There is sometimes a slight whiff when you first open the door but there isn't any on the contents.

You can google the practice. I got the tip from 'The Formula Book' by Norman Stark which detailed cheap alternatives to all the proprietary chemical based products use in homes.

Advertisement