Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Helmet on airplane, can it still be done?

• 23-03-2009 9:23am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭

Looking into buying a bike in the UK and trying to figure out how to get one back if I buy. The options are to fly over and drive back or get it delivered to Holyhead/Dublin. If the delivery isn't too high may go for that but you can't beat standing in the shop looking at the bike.

Which brings me to the issue, has anyone had any issues with carrying a helmet onto a plane since Ryanair and AerLingus clamped down on carry on? All I'd have as carry on would be the helmet, gloves and trousers. While they should be under the weight limit, I may struggle to meet the size limit.

Found the link below, but it's 2 years old.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2054945195&highlight=helmet+plane

There's no chance in hell I'd but a lid into the checked luggage, I've seen how they handle it.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭antiskeptic

I seriously doubt you'll have any problem. I bought a carry-on wheeled suitcase recently that has the same volume as about 3 helmets on account of seeing similarily laden travellers walk onto Ryanair flights unhindered.

That cage they use as the "go/no go standard" would be hauled out in the case of folk taking the piss (like the bloke I saw trying to carry-on a full size suitcase). They're not going to get legalistic with you because your helmet exceeds dimensions in one direction (whilst coming nowhere close in either of the other directions)

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭n.catenthusiast

Ryanair have started getting very anal about their one bag carry on policy in the last few months across all airports.

This seems to be a ploy to move people from buying in airports to buying on their planes, and so shouldn't impact upon them enforcing strictly the dimension rules (55cm * 40cm * 20cm)

None the less it's entirely possibel you'd get caught up in this-might be no harm to give their dreaded call centre a ring if yr flyying with them:(

Would be crap if you had to decide in the airport between checking in helmet and missing the flight... (i'd miss the flight personnally;))

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 255 ✭✭Lilliput69

Other half did it a few months ago, he wore his trousers, jacket and boots, in a back pack he had his helmet, gloves, neck tube, chill killers top .

you can carry on a small back pack no worries ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 966 ✭✭✭Rippy

Wear the helmet . Just say ye are a nervous flyer !!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 255 ✭✭Lilliput69

Rippy wrote: »
    Wear the helmet . Just say ye are a nervous flyer !!

My other half was meeting the seller of the bike he was buying at a train station so he told him look out for the "Stig" he put his helmet on as he got off the train.

Tell the airline ur the "Stig" and ur identity has to remain a secret!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Definitely don't pass your lid through the hold luggage unless its flight cased. :eek:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oF2DWJSxL5U

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

I did this but it was 2 years ago,just wear all your gear and put the lid in a carry on bag.You should be fine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 296 ✭✭redved

I carried mine on with me as well as a small ruck sack. no problem. This was with BMI from Dublin to London, just after Christmas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Spitfire666

surely the gloves/scarf would fit inside the lid?
    then wear the rest?

Advertisement