Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cheap hostel/guesthouse in Brunei?

• 23-03-2009 10:07am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭

Can anyone recommend a cheap (relatively speaking) place to stay in Bandar Seri Begawan? Checked hostelworld and usual suspects but all bit steep. I know its an expensive country anyway but maybe someone has found a cheapish option??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭RATM

I was last in Bandar about 6 years ago and there is a youth hostel there- apparently it is the only one in the whole country. All other options led to $100 a night hotels.

I can't remember the name of it but I have a suspicion that it is part of Hostelling International, check their website, details might be there. Otherwise details are in the Lonely Planet S.E.Asia book.

It was around $15 a night for a dorm room, still expensive for S.E. Asia but far cheaper than any other available options. It did have a swimming pool which was a bonus :)

Alternatively you could try www.couchsurfing.com and see can you pick up a freebie on a local's sofa.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭jackbhoy

Cheers for that. Found a place called Pusat Belia that sounds like one you stayed at (has pool!)

It costs B$10 a night, they don't reply to mails so just turn up and see what happens I suppose.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,363 ✭✭✭Frank Grimes

I was in B.S.B 3 years ago and stayed in a place called K.H Soon Resthouse. It was 30 Bruneian dollars a night, private room, shared bathrooms. Was nice and clean, friendly staff. Assuming it's still there, it's worth checking out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭jackbhoy

I was in B.S.B 3 years ago and stayed in a place called K.H Soon Resthouse. It was 30 Bruneian dollars a night, private room, shared bathrooms. Was nice and clean, friendly staff. Assuming it's still there, it's worth checking out.

Cheers. Its still there too and is backup plan if hostel falls through.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭RATM

jackbhoy wrote: »
    Cheers for that. Found a place called Pusat Belia that sounds like one you stayed at (has pool!)

It costs B$10 a night, they don't reply to mails so just turn up and see what happens I suppose.

Yeah when we stayed there the Lonely Planet said in their review of the place that the 'caretaker' shows up twice a day to check people in. I can't remember what the times were but you had to be there at those times otherwise no joy.

Its not the greatest set up but we did gain access to the swimming pool while we were waiting for the lad to show up. Very nice in that sweltering heat :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,618 ✭✭✭Ideo

i stayed in this place which was very handy but i dont remember it being so expensive, was sure it was around $30 sharing back in july. no tourists around really, place was eerily quiet and we had just missed the sultans birthday! dang! may be no harm sending off an email and see if you can get a discount!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,618 ✭✭✭Ideo

Actually I realise why I remember it was so cheap, they dropped me to the airport which would have cost have the price of the room anyway so if you are flying in and/or flying out then staying in this place makes sense!

Advertisement