Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

electrical work - what should I pay?

Options
  • 23-03-2009 10:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭

I had a relative come over last week and do some work for me on the immersion heater in the hotpress

He replaced the switch which had arc-ed, the thermostat at the top of the tank which had burned out and wired in a timer switch.

He did a superb and really tidy job and spent about 3 hours at it.

I know what the parts cost - question is what should I pay him for his 3 hours of top quality work

He's a retired builder and really knows his stuff so I don't want to offend him by not paying up fair and square

Any ideas what I should pay?

Cheers
    J

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

3 hours is a long time to that much work TBH. Being a reletive I would pay him about 100 euro.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭Justin_k

Cheers

that sounds about right. He'd probably be happy with a few jars to be honest but I needed it fixed and he did it pronto.

Ta for your thoughts

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭paddymick

Yeh 3 hours seems a bit long for those jobs 1 hour would cover it if it wasn`t a relative i`d say he was dragging it out slightly.
    As for paying him when it comes to relatives im one of the soft ones out there that only charges for the material`s you never know when you might need something back from them :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭chrismon

Well being family can be a major problem
    I know alot of people who expect everything to be done for free
    But you seem like one of the nice ones:cool:
    Did he have to drive far to do the job or anything?
    If not id say e100 would be loads. All i would personally charge for a small job like that would be 70 at the absolute most!
    :pac:

Advertisement